Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming/Work chair

• 24-02-2021 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭

Work has given me a budget of €350 for a chair, but I want to get one that's suitable for both office and gaming. Keeping in mind that both office and gaming will be done on tv's, so looking for something for extreme comfort as I'll be sitting in this for the vast majority of most days. Price doesn't have to include shipping, I'll pay for that myself as long as the extra money towards the chair is worth it.

If possible, and I don't even know if they're available, but one with locking wheels as I can't be moving around too much due to noise on a wooden floor and people sleeping (I work/live nights). Office chairs are grand, but for watching Netflix or something they're not the best. Oh, and it will be moving rooms so something easily moveable.

Not looking for much! I've gone through the other threads but said I'd create my own in case it got lost in replies from another one. Spanks in advance!

(While I'm at it, if someone has a good recommendation for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo at €30 each or €60 for the keyboard+touchpad things, that'd be great! Non-mechanical! Clickity clack would drive me nuts.)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if its going on a wooden floor I recommend you look for a chair with these type wheels on them: https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/tw-50mm-twin-wheeled-castor-with-a-circle-fitting-3833.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuiD6oaC7wIVz-vtCh3aBAaMEAQYBCABEgKNJvD_BwE

Or buy the wheels seperate and put them on yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Got this chair for work and it brilliant so far after nearly a year at home.
    https://jysk.ie/office/gaming-chairs/gaming-chair-lamdrup-black-green

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://www.vikingdirect.ie/en/realspace-ergonomic-office-chair-tokyo-mesh-bonded-leather-black-p-5311422

Thats a good one for work.

I have a POS chair at home and trying to get the job to buy me that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sound folks. The 2 above don't have great reviews from the sites you stated. I was tempted towards the Secretlab Omega. Are they just really well marketed but are crap, or are they as good as they let on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sound folks. The 2 above don't have great reviews from the sites you stated. I was tempted towards the Secretlab Omega. Are they just really well marketed but are crap, or are they as good as they let on?

My last chair was the same style of chair as the secret lab omega, and it was an ok chair, but ergonomic chairs are far better.

I got the ergochair 2 last year:
    https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair

Its a great chair and has lots of customization. Also, you can get it a bit cheaper if you use something like honey to find discount codes, they usually have one or 2 going at a time.

• Advertisement

That's actually a nice looking one too! Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It looks like a knock off Herman Miller Aeron. If it's anything like their quality, it's a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got a Secretlab Titan about a year ago and I'm happy with it so far. Use it for working at desk during the day and sometimes bring into living room to play games.

The Titan is basically a larger version of the Omega though no? I fit the criteria for the Omega so unsure if the Titan would be needed, plus it'll cost some of my own money too!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I will have the keyboard on my lap, I've no desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've read good things about the Ergochair 2 that wes linked and for that budget, it's probably one I'd consider if I was replacing my current chair.

That current chair is the Ikea Markus. If I had that budget and I was replacing the one I'm sitting in, I'd more than likely just get a new one, outside of the above Ergochair 2 consideration.

**** gaming chairs.

I'd wager yourself and your back are going to have a major disagreement on what comfort means if you plan on spending the majority of your days in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've an Ergohuman V2 full mesh (I live in Aussie so wanted something airy). Had it a year and iI'd happily recommend one although if I had to buy again I'd be testing out the foam seat rather than mesh but it's only a little niggle.

I was super close to buying a Secretlabs chair but I decided not to drop the money on one as the only youtube reviews often seem to be heeeeey youtube this video is sponsored by Secretlabs and let me tell you HOW AMAZING this chair is! and then the written reviews elsewhere state how the seat can be super hard and not comfortable to sit in for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

I have a secretlabs titan xl. I've had quite a few other chairs and can't see myself changing this. I don't get a sore back anymore at all. It's incredibly comfortable for 10 or 12 hour days.

Just to note as well that if you are buying an ergonomic chair and then sitting with a keyboard on your lap you won't get the benefits. Kind of like getting in a safe car and wrapping the seat belt around your neck 😂

Best wireless mouse I can recommend is any of the logitech mx master models. More than your budget but you could buy 2nd hand.

Yeah, I may have to invest in one of those free standing moveable small keyboard tables you can get. I sit upright most the time anyway as I'm wary of getting back pain because of my constant sitting. Or, at least I try, the current choices I have are, well, they're armchairs. More designed to fall asleep in that work/game in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Got this chair for work and it brilliant so far after nearly a year at home.
    https://jysk.ie/office/gaming-chairs/gaming-chair-lamdrup-black-green

I think I'm going buy this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

brady12 wrote: »
    I think I'm going buy this ..

You really shouldn't, it's just rebranded junk. If you plan on sitting at a desk gaming then get a chair that's genuinely designed for long hours not something that looks 'cool'.

But your money and your back either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

The last chair I got rid of was actually this chair just from a different company, Amazon I think. It's perfectly fine for an hour or two a day but any more than that and you're better off spending another 50 quid somewhere else. Also the legs and wheels were cheap IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You don't have to spend huge money on a proper ergonomic chair either. Look into the second-hand/refurbished offerings from HM, Steelcase and the like, or cheaper but still well-reviewed chairs like the Orangebox Do or the Giroflex 64. Obviously there are less refurbs available at the moment because more people are working from home, but there are still bargains out there for people prepared to hunt around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

WLad wrote: »
    I have a secretlabs titan xl. I've had quite a few other chairs and can't see myself changing this. I don't get a sore back anymore at all. It's incredibly comfortable for 10 or 12 hour days.

Just to note as well that if you are buying an ergonomic chair and then sitting with a keyboard on your lap you won't get the benefits. Kind of like getting in a safe car and wrapping the seat belt around your neck ��

Best wireless mouse I can recommend is any of the logitech mx master models. More than your budget but you could buy 2nd hand.

I have a SLXL too... agree they are amazing.

Also - get the keyboard off your lap somehow. It will cripple you. Consider switching from a mouse to a trackpad.

You really shouldn't, it's just rebranded junk. If you plan on sitting at a desk gaming then get a chair that's genuinely designed for long hours not something that looks 'cool'.

Any suggestions for less then >200 quid ? Only couple of hours max i have sit anyways while gaming / working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Sit at desk for 8 hours a day and no problems after nearly a year. Would recommend as got a chair from work that was mesh and and not as comfortable.
    Checked out chairs before full lockdown as rather have no pains in back then Nice to look at but can't see as arse on it.

Anyplace in Ireland that would sell orangebox do or giroflex 64 refurbished . Don't really want have deal with wait and customs buying from UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

wes wrote: »
    My last chair was the same style of chair as the secret lab omega, and it was an ok chair, but ergonomic chairs are far better.

I got the ergochair 2 last year:
    https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair

Its a great chair and has lots of customization. Also, you can get it a bit cheaper if you use something like honey to find discount codes, they usually have one or 2 going at a time.
    Where did you buy this?

anyone ever buy off housetech? kirogi chairs look good..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

brady12 wrote: »
    anyone ever buy off housetech? kirogi chairs look good..
    Judging by the design of the chair and their site, it looks like they're just buying in another Chinese rebadge and selling it directly. Not particularly different from another reseller on Amazon, KIROGI-EU, who have a business address in Zhejiang except they're selling that particular model for £479.99. Between those kinds of pricing disparities, accompanying details (Carbon Fiber Leather?) and some of the Amazon reviews, I'd be very wary of its quality.

As I posted above, in that price range I'd recommend the Ikea Markus without hesitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had problems getting chairs from anywhere except amazon. They got caught up in the UK for over a month. The Amazon on took a few days. We got this one. Its ok, comfortable, a bit light maybe and I can't see it lasting too long. But it will mostly be used by kids.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V5184HD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We've already got a few other office chair that were 270~350 one is rated for much heavier weight, I think, because the weight rating seem to be unreliable. We had a cheaper on that broke and I expect due was weight rating.

beauf wrote: »
    I had problems getting chairs from anywhere except amazon. They got caught up in the UK for over a month. The Amazon on took a few days. We got this one. Its ok, comfortable, a bit light maybe and I can't see it lasting too long. But it will mostly be used by kids.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V5184HD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We've already got a few other office chair that were 270~350 one is rated for much heavier weight, I think, because the weight rating seem to be unreliable. We had a cheaper on that broke and I expect due was weight rating.
    How did you manage to get this ? Amazon won't ship to Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've not had any problems. I can order this one again too. Do you get an error? I'll probably order a better one next time though. You get the odd supplier who won't deliver to Ireland. About 60% of them will though.

gizmo wrote: »
    Judging by the design of the chair and their site, it looks like they're just buying in another Chinese rebadge and selling it directly. Not particularly different from another reseller on Amazon, KIROGI-EU, who have a business address in Zhejiang except they're selling that particular model for £479.99. Between those kinds of pricing disparities, accompanying details (Carbon Fiber Leather?) and some of the Amazon reviews, I'd be very wary of its quality.

As I posted above, in that price range I'd recommend the Ikea Markus without hesitation.
    I think im going to buy the Markus . Safest bet for the budget I have . Just want comfort !

• Advertisement

Sounds for all the suggestions folks. Looks like I may be better to just rejig my current situation, any of those chairs don't seem suitable for lounging, which is what I do half the time. I have until the end of the month so will think about it.

Advertisement