Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Humax foxsat not recognising hard drive

• 25-02-2021 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭

I've a Humax foxsat, hasn't been abused. Was set aside while decorating and on reconnecting it's not recognising the HDD which is 1 tb. Contacted company who suggested reset which I'd done already but did it again. Now I can set it to record from the epg but nothing gets recorded. Its a common issue with these boxes.Humax seem to be finished as a company , not getting any further assistance there- anyone got any advice?thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I've a Humax foxsat, hasn't been abused. Was set aside while decorating and on reconnecting it's not recognising the HDD which is 1 tb. Contacted company who suggested reset which I'd done already but did it again. Now I can set it to record from the epg but nothing gets recorded. Its a common issue with these boxes.Humax seem to be finished as a company , not getting any further assistance there- anyone got any advice?thanks in advance!

Happened to both mine and my brother's Humax Foxsats a couple of years ago. He sent them to Humax in the UK ( he lives in Surrey ) and they fitted refurbished HDD's to them. Mine still working fine, so is my brothers as far as I know. If Humax won't help any further, your only option might be to invest in the new 3rd generation Freesat 4K box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

galtee boy wrote: »
    Happened to both mine and my brother's Humax Foxsats a couple of years ago. He sent them to Humax in the UK ( he lives in Surrey ) and they fitted refurbished HDD's to them. Mine still working fine, so is my brothers as far as I know. If Humax won't help any further, your only option might be to invest in the new 3rd generation Freesat 4K box.

Thanks you might be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It might be worth wiping the HDD with zeros and putting a new partition table on it, and format it according to the requirements of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm on my 3rd hard drive on mine original came as 320gb, that failed after about 5 years, replaced with 1TB, that eventually failed after about 4 years, now on another 1TB drive for last 3 years.

It's a simple enough process to add a new drive, it gets recognised when you boot up and is then formatted. If you go over 1TB I think it gets complicated to initially configure. A 1TB drive is about €50 delivered from Amazon.

They seem to last about 3 to 4 years and fail.

Here's a guide from Youtube...

It might be worth wiping the HDD with zeros and putting a new partition table on it, and format it according to the requirements of the box.
    Thanks for the advice but I'd say I'd set the house on fire!!

• Advertisement

I'm on my 3rd hard drive on mine original came as 320gb, that failed after about 5 years, replaced with 1TB, that eventually failed after about 4 years, now on another 1TB drive for last 3 years.

It's a simple enough process to add a new drive, it gets recognised when you boot up and is then formatted. If you go over 1TB I think it gets complicated to initially configure. A 1TB drive is about €50 delivered from Amazon.

Great to hear from someone who's done that, I'd one of the predecessors and it was bullet proof, made a major mistake ' upgrading' it. Humax are pretty much finished as a company it would appear so no help from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Our Humax Foxsat is still working, replaced the control a couple of year's ago.
    Notice that it takes a couple of seconds to pause.
    Everything works perfect
    Might pick up one of these hard drives and have it as a backup incase anything goes wrong.

Thanks for sharing

Mine is the Humax HDR-1100S 1TB Freesat and it looks like a bugger to get the casing off, I was thinking of replacing the HDD alright so it's good to hear it works

Don't suppose you know the dimensions of the HDD that fits? I've tried googling, presumably 2.5"?
    #actually I see it's 3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mine is the Humax HDR-1100S 1TB Freesat and it looks like a bugger to get the casing off, I was thinking of replacing the HDD alright so it's good to hear it works

Peel back the sticker underneath. Screws are there. Case comes apart by hand easily enough.
    HDD failed in mine. Wasn't the drive though. Drive works fine in a caddy on PC and SMART testing doesn't report any errors. So basically the circuit board no longer recognises a connected drive.

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    Peel back the sticker underneath. Screws are there. Case comes apart by hand easily enough.
    HDD failed in mine. Wasn't the drive though. Drive works fine in a caddy on PC and SMART testing doesn't report any errors. So basically the circuit board no longer recognises a connected drive.
    Yeah the first video I watched yr man hadn't a breeze, second guy followed the procedure you outlined, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

On the 1100s it's extremely easy to change the hard disk. I don't think you even need a screwdriver, the lid clips off, lift a lever to release the old drive, slide the new one in and youre done.

M

Don't suppose you know the dimensions of the HDD that fits? I've tried googling, presumably 2.5"?
    #actually I see it's 3.5

This is the most recent model I put in mine...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013HNYVLA

I did have an issue with this drive where I had to adjust the jumper settings, this is a simple process if you have the jumpers to add. If you have an old PC they will likely be on the hard drive or CD/DVD Drives that you could use...

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's 3.5

I used one from an old Sky HD box

If you're ordering a new drive, there are "video" drives designed to be left on all the time, which may last longer.

Update- got a new WD 1TB HDD and fitted it today. Went into settings and it's not recognised :-(

M

Update- got a new WD 1TB HDD and fitted it today. Went into settings and it's not recognised :-(

If you can get access to a jumper to try this...
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-drive-jumper

Ebay has jumpers for sale but if you know anyone who builds PC's or has an old one not being used they likely have them on old hard drive or cd drives.
    https://m.ebay.ie/itm/25x-2-54mm-Black-Jumper-Shunts-Bridges-Hard-Drive-DVD-Motherboards-Electronics/254558260732?hash=item3b44dacdfc:g:SIsAAOSwl05ehd1E

Advertisement