Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A long overdue overhaul.

I'll wait to see how it functions before commenting further. Government tends to announce great and lofty plans but the execution is dire.

But, on the surface, it's great news.

Given that the vast majority of AS are bogus, and are illegal immigrants, how is it great news?

Surely great news would be to reduce the number of illegal immigrants entering the country?

Tork wrote: »
    Has anybody done a costing of this? Might it be cheaper long-term to house all these people than continue to pay through the nose for the centres?

Here's an idea: don't let illegal immigrants past the port / airport.

Process their claims in 24 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No its not.

This lie las been debunked many times.

A lie?....Ireland 2040

https://www.irishtimes.com/special-reports/property-construction-land-prospects/planning-for-a-population-increase-of-1-million-people-1.3269858

The ultimate objectives of the NPF are to guide the future development of Ireland, taking into account a projected one million increase in population, the need to create 660,000 additional jobs to achieve full employment and a predicted need for 550,000 more homes by 2040.
    Of the one million extra people expected here, 25per cent are being planned for Dublin and 25per cent across Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford combined – enabling all four to grow their population and jobs by 50-60 per cent. The remaining 50 per cent of growth is planned to occur in key regional centres, towns, villages and rural areas, to be determined in the assemblies’ forthcoming regional plans (RSESs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics from the lads who want this system directed at our own homeless, the same fellas who will tell you that our homeless are just lazy and shouldn't be given houses anyway, i.e. the 'welfare class'. The same folk will also argue against any form of social or affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Whatever about reforming the application system / process -

Aren't we just currently paying private hoteliers etc. a lot of public money to keep people in privately owned premesis for large profit, often in fairly poor conditions (not getting close to any kind of bang for buck) surely this is a positive step regardless? no?

Also ignoring the "wharrabout are homeliss" for a few minutes.

That money will be nothing compared to the amount we'll have to cough up now that the floodgates that have been opened . You'll have ever asylum seeker landing on our shores looking for an apartment . Wait until the next financial crash when Irish people start losing their homes again while the new arrivals are safe and sound in theirs. I pity the next green or labour politician that calls to my door canvasing

• Advertisement

Independent politicians, either TDs or councillors are the only ones who will oppose this. It's interesting how the likes of Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein etc. seem to have almost unanimous support for all these policies. Perhaps they are more "moral" than people who aren't connected to their political parties, hmmmm

I am disappointed in FF, FG.

If they are parties that support workers, and support law and order, they should be against illegal immigrants, and for Irish workers.

Yet people are charged 48.5% marginal income tax rate on any income over 36k, to pay for this??

If anti-immigrant parties do appear, the blame falls squarely on the current main parties.

That money will be nothing compared to the amount we'll have to cough up now that the floodgates that have been opened . You'll have ever asylum seeker landing on our shores looking for an apartment . Wait until the next financial crash when Irish people start losing their homes again while the new arrivals are safe and sound in theirs. I pity the next green or labour politician that calls to my door canvasing

Ok, boogie man stuff then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

A bad day for the young Irish who can only dream of owning their own home, a bad day for families living in hotels, a bad day for people on public housing waiting lists,a bad day for homeless and disadvantaged people.

A great day for asylum from all corners of the globe.

Talk about painting a target on your own back

The irony of young people who made the most noise about ending direct provision are the same people who need affordable housing themselves.

They have played themselves

A bad day for the young Irish who can only dream of owning their own home, a bad day for families living in hotels, a bad day for people on public housing waiting lists,a bad day for homeless and disadvantaged people.

A great day for asylum from all corners of the globe.

The irony of young people who made the most noise about ending direct provision are the same people who need affordable housing themselves.

They have played themselves

Does this new system mean the end of affordable housing or something? what am i not seeing here....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    May be a blessing in disguise, if they actually vet people properly and return home the economic migrants sharpish, we might see a dramatic reduction in asylum claims, thats the most optimistic view i know, not a hope can the govt provide own door accommodation to thousands every year.

They are not doing that now. I would have no confidence they will do it in properly in the future. Vetting is where the resources should be pumped in.

It will get worse not better.

Thousands will come and get a free house and the overflow will be housed in hotels like they are now.

• Advertisement

It's not just Labour and Greens. There is unanimous support for this amounst Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein as well. People need to start speaking up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

This is going to make a lot of people very angry

Why should I, as an irish citizen, have increased housing insecurity in order to facilitate a non citizen who is statistically likely to be a bogus asylum seeker. I'd vote for the devil himself at this stage if it got rid of bull **** like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Does this new system mean the end of affordable housing or something? what am i not seeing here....?

Houses getting built

Wii776 wrote: »
    This is going to make a lot of people very angry

Why should I, as an irish citizen, have increased housing insecurity in order to facilitate a non citizen who is statistically likely to be a bogus asylum seeker. I'd vote for the devil himself at this stage if it got rid of bull **** like this

How does this system increase housing insecurity for citizens?

Less houses. Tighter supply. There is no mass nationwide building of affordable homes. Nor will there be. Rents and house prices only going one way.

Less houses. Tighter supply. There is no mass nationwide building of affordable homes. Nor will there be. Rents and house prices only going one way.

What do the asylum system changes have to do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Ireland is turning into a parody of a badly ran nation; it's like something from a comedy, minus the humor. I genuinely feel sorry for the people who come after us, as they'll be left with nation in a very bad state, that will be incredibly hard to fix.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Geuze wrote: »
    I am disappointed in FF, FG.

If they are parties that support workers, and support law and order, they should be against illegal immigrants, and for Irish workers.

Yet people are charged 48.5% marginal income tax rate on any income over 36k, to pay for this??

If anti-immigrant parties do appear, the blame falls squarely on the current main parties.

Agreed. The simple fact is they don't care what you think. There are no viable alternatives, they know this and they know there won't be for 10-20 years. Please don't even mention Sinn Fein to me, a party who would open the system even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Are we ever going to get politicians that think and act in the interests of Irish people?

What we have at the moment is project implementation managers for the EU and various other organisations

Councils buy up properties in towns and villages. Places with already tiny availability. Less property available for purchase or rent. Housing supply and availability is already minuscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

A lie?....Ireland 2040

https://www.irishtimes.com/special-reports/property-construction-land-prospects/planning-for-a-population-increase-of-1-million-people-1.3269858

The ultimate objectives of the NPF are to guide the future development of Ireland, taking into account a projected one million increase in population, the need to create 660,000 additional jobs to achieve full employment and a predicted need for 550,000 more homes by 2040.
    Of the one million extra people expected here, 25per cent are being planned for Dublin and 25per cent across Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford combined – enabling all four to grow their population and jobs by 50-60 per cent. The remaining 50 per cent of growth is planned to occur in key regional centres, towns, villages and rural areas, to be determined in the assemblies’ forthcoming regional plans (RSESs).

You should read that again. It doesn't say what you think it does, or what was claimed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This may be the catalyst for a right wing party to finally emerge here and clean up the left mess in government.
    Super woke nonsense, decided by the voter mass of those that dont pay income tax, paid for by people like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You don't see anything wrong with housing people within 4 months of arriving in Ireland . Do you not think every asylum seeker coming to europe is gonna head straight for here , it's lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no problem with what is proposed, so long as it goes only to genuine refugees.

The problem isn't what is proposed for asylum seekers, it is with the system that takes so long to process them and rejects so few. A fast-track system with a dedicated court for appeals is what is needed alongside this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Supply and demand. Less supply with a high demand for housing pushes up prices for everyone.

The supply of housing is already a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

How does this system increase housing insecurity for citizens?

Because this will act like a magnet, drawing people from all over great world looking for free housing an welfare. Anyone saying otherwise has something to gain from it.

More people competing means higher prices . Higher prices, and less security. I cant afford to pay any more than I do in rent . The scramble for housing to place these people will drive up rents. Landlords want to maximise returns . Hence I am now at more risk of losing my accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lads, look on the bright side

Does this mean we'll be able to start going to Mosney for our holliers?

Given that international travel might be being stopped for the foreseeable future it might be all that some can aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ireland in talks with Led Zeppelin to make their song our national anthem

you know the one I mean..

You don't see anything wrong with housing people within 4 months of arriving in Ireland . Do you not think every asylum seeker coming to europe is gonna head straight for here , it's lunacy

They're already put straight into hotels & dp centres anyway - the difference now is that the govt. will be providing the services instead of private companies being paid huge amounts with profit...

This isn't the floodgates moment that the reaction is claiming..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ireland in talks with Led Zeppelin to make their song our national anthem

you know the one I mean..

Stairway to Heaven?
    Kashmir?

Advertisement