Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst takeaway meal you've ever eaten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Yurt! wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin, there's an Indian take-away at the top of Smithfield square near the Cobblestone pub that looks like it should be shut down on sight by health inspectors. Mind-blowingly good curry though - best I've had in Ireland.

Namaste. It's excellent.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Same. And it's very easy to create nice Chinese food at home using a few simple ingredients.
    Once you have the right sauces, it's not hard.

+1

It's so easy to make Chinese style pepper-steak with onions.
    Cut strips of beef/steak and throw into the wok/frying pan and just brown them then take them out and set aside. Next roughly chop a red and green bell pepper and a large onion and throw into the wok (with some oil) and fry them for a couple of minutes.

Mix equal parts of soya sauce and rice wine (about a shot glass each). Throw the beef back in with the peppers/onions, jack up the heat, arrange it all in a pile in the middle of the wok and pour on the sauce mixture. Let the alcohol in the rice wine burn off (about 10 seconds) then reduce heat and let the whole thing simmer. Bang. Pepper steak with onions that would put any Chinese takeaway to shame.

Serve with rice or noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Worst takeaway for me was a place I order a double cheeseburger from. Brought it home open the wrapping to find my burger was burgerless. Two buns and a slice of cheese. I didnt even bother going back, just fried a few sausages and put them in the bun instead.

Had some experiences.

Two places that spring to mind are White Castle and Jack in the Box in Long Island, New York. Now I'm fond of eating what could be described as muck after a feed of beer. These two places take the cake. Got burger and chips from Jacks. We took one or two bites in the car park. The second you bit into it and chewed you could feel your belly start to protest. We wound up pelting each other with this crap rather than eating it. Yes we were all wasted.
    White Castle does taste ok, again when you're locked, but the next day you're on the pot thunder-dumping.
    Domino's pizza in Ireland is dire. Also in Amsterdam got a noodle box from a place called Wok to Walk. The noodles were slimy. I managed to hold it down but the girlfriend spewed the lot up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Also in Amsterdam got a noodle box from a place called Wok to Walk.

I had noodles in Amsterdam too, which consisted of duck bones, noodles and water. Tasted of nothing, which was probably a blessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

kegg wrote: »
    If you got food in one and found it awful,
    why did you bother going to the other?

I wanted to do the whole tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

About 15 years ago there was a burger van outside coppers, after a night out and a feed of drink I grabbed a burger from here. He handed it over without one of those "burger bags". I asked him for a bag, he handed me a Tesco bag. I ate half of it, brought the other half back to the hotel to eat when I got back and fell asleep. Woke up 6 hours later and the burger on my pillow and it was horrendous. God knows what I caught from that burger that night.

Have had a few similar experiences with Coppers, without the burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had a yucky burrito n Amsterdam . Yes I said yucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Honestly cant ever remember getting a take away that ended up in the bin for being inedible or tasting terrible etc

Probably the worst might have been slightly cold or greasy but I cant actually remember any (even though i'm sure there probably were)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

PARlance wrote: »
    Have had a few similar experiences with Coppers, without the burger.

Haha i think the OP yo this reads the same way to you as me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Honestly cant ever remember getting a take away that ended up in the bin for being inedible or tasting terrible etc

Probably the worst might have been slightly cold or greasy but I cant actually remember any (even though i'm sure there probably were)

Raw chicken kebab was probably the only thing I binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remembered a place opened up about 10 years ago on William Street Limerick across the road from Boots. It was an Asian all you can eat buffet. I tried it once and I never went back again. They didn't use any proper cuts of meat or chicken, it was just all bones. The place didn't last very long

There's a similar Asian buffet currently open in Marlborough Street Dublin. No actual cuts of meat, just bones and offal. It's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Fitz* wrote: »
    But the worst has to a street food vendor that served chicken noodles. I was served an actual fried chicken heart. I could see the aortas and all. Put me right off eating any more of the dish.

I had chicken heart in one of those Brazilian BBQs in Prague, the ones that don't tell you they have a salad buffet and just keep on bringing out meat after meat after meat on a big metal stick, and when they get to the end of the meats, they start back at the beginning again, until you break out in the meat sweats and turn over your little disk to the red side that says "no more!".

The chicken hearts weren't particularly nice, but they are a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

I wanted to do the whole tour.

Haha sure why not. You must try blue thunder in foxford then. Decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There used to be a chip shop just up the road and across the road from Tramco in Rathmines back in the day - ugh, I remember the awful taste the next morning. Yuck, and yet we kept going there. I have no idea of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

Walking back to the hotel after a big night in Benidorm, the sun was up and the morning workers were getting busy. I stopped at this hatch and ordered a burger. I should have known by the way the local Spanish man looked at me, it was a kind of look that said, are you actually ordering a burger from me at six in the morning and I don't really care about nonsense like trip advisor reviews !

I got food poisoning, I spent the next few days on the bowel. To this day I haven't gotten over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was curious what taco fries tasted like so ordered them one night from Apache. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

There used to be a chip shop just up the road and across the road from Tramco in Rathmines back in the day - ugh, I remember the awful taste the next morning. Yuck, and yet we kept going there. I have no idea of the name.

was it a chinese? by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Porta Via?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tiny place? Think it was Porta Via

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tiny place? Think it was Porta Via

Chips always tasted of fish.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Chips always tasted of fish.

Two for the price of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What year(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Odhinn wrote: »
    What year(s)?

Yeah porta via, early noughties it was there. Everything from kebabs to BLT's, wouldn't touch the place sober

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Was reading this post for giggles yesterday and i saw kfc crop up a few times and ye jinxed me. i hadnt had it in ages and my local kfc is usually very good.

Went and got it yesterday was starving and it was horrendous chicken in the burger like an old boot, tough and rubbery.

Had serious afters from it wont be having that again anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Never liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Never liked it.

Never liked what?

Looks like you are trying to boost your posts, most don't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

DENIS'S KEBAB Enniscorthy . Jasas the donor KEBAB a big load of soggy mush . Soggy lettuce some white onions, soggy rubber done meat stale bread ,garlic sauce like milk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I got a thin and crispy pizza in Castleisland one time about 6 years ago and it was like eating perfectly cooked meat and cheese off a roundy porcelain tile. No idea how they managed it.

I was in a hurry and was that hungry I ate the lot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

I got a thin and crispy pizza in Castleisland one time about 6 years ago and it was like eating perfectly cooked meat and cheese off a roundy porcelain tile. No idea how they managed it.

I was in a hurry and was that hungry I ate the lot.

can,t bate the venison rows :)

Advertisement