Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an M1 Mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

lets see how much of an isseu this is going to be if any https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/apple-m1-macs-appear-to-be-chewing-through-their-ssds/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Anyone know if I’d be hit with charges if I buy from the Apple UK store? Just tracking M1 MacBooks on the refurbished store. Looking in Ireland too but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Anyone know if I’d be hit with charges if I buy from the Apple UK store? Just tracking M1 MacBooks on the refurbished store. Looking in Ireland too but just curious.

UK Apple Store won't let you enter an Irish delivery address. If you use the UK Address Pal address (or a similar UK delivery redirect service), you'll not only pay UK VAT, but you'll also be hit for Irish VAT, possibly customs (depending on the item and its value) and a handling fee.

UK Apple Store won't let you enter an Irish delivery address. If you use the UK Address Pal address (or a similar UK delivery redirect service), you'll not only pay UK VAT, but you'll also be hit for Irish VAT, possibly customs (depending on the item and its value) and a handling fee.

Thanks I didn’t actually know that.

I see the M1 laptop I want is on the Irish refurb store anyway. Has anyone on here bought a refurbished Mac? Would ye recommend it? I assume they’re in perfect condition

• Advertisement

I see the M1 laptop I want is on the Irish refurb store anyway. Has anyone on here bought a refurbished Mac? Would ye recommend it? I assume they’re in perfect condition

Bought a refurb Intel MacBook Pro from Apple last year. Aside from the fact that it comes in a plain white box, you wouldn't know it was anything but brand spanking new. Not a speck of dust on it. Bought a refurb iPad last summer, and it's the same. Once it has the spec you want, I'd say go for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Refurbs may have been returned for any reason, including change of mind, so Apple can’t sell them as new. Always buy refurb when I can.

Great thanks lads. I had heard they are great just wanted to hear some first hand experience. Unfortunately mine was snapped up quickly so I’m on the look out now again.

Going for 16gb memory 256 gb storage. Not sure what to make of these SSD stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Grabbed a refurbished 13” M1 on the Apple Store today. €1003 with a friends & family discount. Bargain!

Grabbed a refurbished 13” M1 on the Apple Store today. €1003 with a friends & family discount. Bargain!

How can I avail of this family and friends discount? I know a few people who work for Apple.

• Advertisement

lets see how much of an isseu this is going to be if any https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/apple-m1-macs-appear-to-be-chewing-through-their-ssds/

Seems to be a Big Sur software issue as some Intel Macs have the same problem.

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1361163127308439553

How can I avail of this family and friends discount? I know a few people who work for Apple.

Tell them check the EPP store and go to the refurbished section. It’s €1003 for the M1 MacBook Pro base model. Be quick though as it might vanish. Their was an Air on there this morning for €779 but it’s gone.

Are the delivery times very accurate on the Apple Ireland store? Getting a delivery date between 16th & 21st of March for a 16gb M1 MacBook Pro. Maybe it’s the extra memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Are the delivery times very accurate on the Apple Ireland store? Getting a delivery date between 16th & 21st of March for a 16gb M1 MacBook Pro. Maybe it’s the extra memory.

I received mine within 10 days of ordering. They gave me a two week window when I ordered. Going by other posters here, Apple appear to ship within a week of ordering and then a couple days with the courier. Ordering extra modifications may take slightly longer.

Passenger wrote: »
    I received mine within 10 days of ordering. They gave me a two week window when I ordered. Going by other posters here, Apple appear to ship within a week of ordering and then a couple days with the courier. Ordering extra modifications may take slightly longer.

Ok thanks. Probably an overestimate then. Refurbs have quicker shipping times to not sure whether to go brand new now or wait for a refurb to pop up this week.

So I finally pulled the trigger last night. Just went for a new Pro 16gb 256gb. Says delivery is the 19th of March though, killer wait.

Got caught with the 2% VAT increase too.

Outside of a USB stick would I need a single for anything else? The majority of my work is cloud based and rarely if at all use a USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

Anybody having problems with TouchID on the M1 MacBook Air? It just doesn't work for me after the first few goes. I've restarted, deleted fingerprints and started over, but it keeps "forgetting" my fingerprint(s). Thought I might just have bad fingerprints (if that's a thing) but it's doing the same with my OH's fingerprints. I can unlock with my watch, but dammit, I want TouchID to work on my otherwise amazing laptop...

If it's not a known issue - Google hasn't been particularly helpful - I suppose I'll have to get on to Apple about it.

The thing doesn’t make a sound :D

Even when playing a game (FM21) on Steam (via Rosetta 2) - absolutely silent.

My Pro has been shipped earlier today but still with a delivery date of March 19th. Are these delivery dates accurate? Are they coming from China yeah?

Can’t see how it would take 15 days from now if Apples logistics are as good as they say. And yes I know there is a pandemic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm hoping that the rumours about new models including a SD card slot are true. Now if they'd only include a single lone USB-A port....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

My Pro has been shipped earlier today but still with a delivery date of March 19th. Are these delivery dates accurate? Are they coming from China yeah?

Can’t see how it would take 15 days from now if Apples logistics are as good as they say. And yes I know there is a pandemic!

Replying to myself here but it still hasn’t left China... Shipping label created but hasn’t been shipped yet. Looks like the 19th might be accurate after all.

Edit: Got a text from DHL says it arrives tomorrow! Weird. DHL tracking never updated on the site.

Arrived today. First ever Mac. Incredible device so far. Getting used to MacOS.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Arrived today. First ever Mac. Incredible device so far. Getting used to MacOS.

Honestly, once you go Mac you'll never go back!

I have to use windows at work, and it drives me absolutely spare.

MacOS is such a superior operating system.

eeloe wrote: »

I’m unfamiliar with it but used to iOS and iPadOS so I can see the similarities. For starters it just works! I have a windows laptop here and you’d be quicker building a laptop before it would turn on. And that’s after a fresh install.

Battery life seems insane so far. Haven’t used it much at all but still delighted I got the extra RAM.

I’d say if you’re just doing document work then maybe but it’s basically a tablet operating system. Nicer on the eye than windows yes, but very limited when it comes to so much software. I couldn’t do 90% of my job if I had one.

That said, I’d absolutely love one door a personal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Have been using the new MacBook Air for a couple of weeks. Went for 8gb RAM and 512Gb storage. I need a new iMac more than this but a laptop was on the list too so I’m using it hooked up to a monitor as a work machine. It’s a game changer for me, but both my current Macs are a decade old. I do use multiple apps at the same time but nothing majorly RAM intensive so my setup is adequate for my needs. I will be adding as much RAM as I can afford on the new iMac when it’s available. I’m hoping for an announcement this month.

This machine is ridiculous. The battery life is incredible. Total game changer for me in relation to my workflow. Think by the time I’m done with it it will have been my best investment. The iPad Pro as second.

I’d say if you’re just doing document work then maybe but it’s basically a tablet operating system. Nicer on the eye than windows yes, but very limited when it comes to so much software. I couldn’t do 90% of my job if I had one.

That said, I’d absolutely love one door a personal machine.

There's always VM for running windows only software.

This machine is ridiculous. The battery life is incredible. Total game changer for me in relation to my workflow. Think by the time I’m done with it it will have been my best investment. The iPad Pro as second.

Glad you're enjoying it, which monitors are you using?

• Advertisement

There's always VM for running windows only software.

Since we're talking about M1 Macs on this thread, it should be pointed out that currently Parallels is the only software able to run Windows at an acceptable level of performance via a virtual machine on M1 Macs (VMWare and Virtual Box can't at all), and even then you need to use the beta version of Windows 10 for ARM, which isn't 100% stable, especially with x86 applications. There's QEMU too, but it seems the performance isn't there for real-world use.

Hopefully (and very likely) the situation will improve, but that's where we are today.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3604371/windows-10-on-m1-macs-how-it-works.html

Advertisement