Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning to the Irish job market from working on Oil Rigs

Options
  • 25-02-2021 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am looking for advice on to where to focus my search when it comes to looking for work around the Limerick area. I am an Offshore Crane Operator on an oil rig and unsure where to look for jobs and where to find the right advice. Ideally I would like a role in an industrial environment where my skills would be useful. I have lots of job specific courses but a lot of them wouldn't be recognised in Ireland.

I would like to hear thoughts from people who have returned to the Irish job market from similar roles or situations like the mines in Australia, Oil Rigs, the Marine Industry etc. Or general advice regarding job hunting around limerick would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think working on the oil rigs will look good on your CV but they might think that they might not be able to pay you. Seems to be plenty work in construction, road maintenance, and utility infrastructure is quite busy and quite enjoyable as you are moving around all the time and they usually pay well, the construction rates and OT as well but the Fuucking Tax man gets a serious cut out of it. Looking at my own payslip there this eve gross 840, net just over 600 so expect to pay a lot of Tax, so welcome home and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Consider wind energy maybe? There's a few sites in the southwest, cranes are needed a fair bit to lift blades/hubs/gearboxes/generators etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cognac1979

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think working on the oil rigs will look good on your CV but they might think that they might not be able to pay you. Seems to be plenty work in construction, road maintenance, and utility infrastructure is quite busy and quite enjoyable as you are moving around all the time and they usually pay well, the construction rates and OT as well but the Fuucking Tax man gets a serious cut out of it. Looking at my own payslip there this eve gross 840, net just over 600 so expect to pay a lot of Tax, so welcome home and good luck.

Thanks for the welcome home and your input. During any conversation regarding pay I will be making it clear that I understand that I would not be earning the same as on the oil rigs. Wind turbines, utilities, rail or dockside would be where I am thinking I could slot in. Construction is fine but I have been burnt by the industry before. I'm a qualified Carpenter but do not want to go back down that road.

If anyone knew agencies or companies in these areas I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cognac1979

Consider wind energy maybe? There's a few sites in the southwest, cranes are needed a fair bit to lift blades/hubs/gearboxes/generators etc.

Definitely on my radar. Researching this and would like to know of any contacts people had.

Advertisement