Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtown Woods Bridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

made from natural materials from the local area, should fit in very nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

niallo76 wrote: »
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/25/steel-bridges-set-to-be-installed-in-newtown-woods-tramore/

which horror of a person signed these off; and thought that they are a suitable replacement?

Pity Marc Ó Cathasaigh would not speak as forcefully about issues like WIT. Bridge looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭niallo76

BBM77 wrote: »
    Pity Marc Ó Cathasaigh would not speak as forcefully about issues like WIT. Bridge looks fine to me.

you like this bridge compared to what was??

ah lads,ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I would imagine the same engineer who erected that awful monstrosity of a crash barrier on Cliff road above the Pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

you like this bridge compared to what was??

Old bridge was nice but the new one will look OK there too. Picture that was posted above is silly, the new bridge is not even to scale in it. Wooden bridges get very slippy after some time also.

The point I was making was more about how annoying it is how green party TD’s get energised about things like this. But for serious matters there is nothing from them.

Old bridge was nice but the new one will look OK there too. Picture that was posted above is silly, the new bridge is not even to scale in it. Wooden bridges get very slippy after some time also.

The point I was making was more about how annoying it is how green party TD’s get energised about things like this. But for serious matters there is nothing from them.

id say theres a few issues with that climate change thingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks suitable for Waterside.

I admit,my copy and paste skills leave a lot to be desired,but just wanted to point out how ugly this design will look...modern structures can fit into an natural setting if there is some thought for it's environment gone into the design,this however is a monstrosity,with absolutely no love or thought gone into it.My gripe is,why they just couldn't replace it with another wooden structure.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I admit,my copy and paste skills leave a lot to be desired,but just wanted to point out how ugly this design will look...modern structures can fit into an natural setting if there is some thought for it's environment gone into the design,this however is a monstrosity,with absolutely no love or thought gone into it.My gripe is,why they just couldn't replace it with another wooden structure.....

Probably went away from a timber structure due to the potential for w@nkers to claim compo due to slips and falls on a slippery wooden bridge deck

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Probably went away from a timber structure due to the potential for w@nkers to claim compo due to slips and falls on a slippery wooden bridge deck
    Some ankles will be broken on it if the ladies decide to wear high heels, and also not very suitable for dogs.

Wooden bridges are lethal, ive made them before, dodgy out, but they do look better, I think maybe a hybrid would be better here, more appealing to the eye, I'd say that bridge wasn't cheap either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yep, true. looks fine to me, I'd be happy there is a safe bridge there instead of complaining, enjoy the woods when there not banging on about a small bridge.
    There is modern structures on greenway too, no issue here

Max Powers wrote:
    Yep, true. looks fine to me, I'd be happy there is a safe bridge there instead of complaining, enjoy the woods when there not banging on about a small bridge. There is modern structures on greenway too, no issue here

None local material bridges look terrible in such environments, that bridge could easily be altered to include such materials, and vegetation could also be encouraged to grow onto it, it's not rocket science, it just requires some further thinking and an extra few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    None local material bridges look terrible in such environments, that bridge could easily be altered to include such materials, and vegetation could also be encouraged to grow onto it, it's not rocket science, it just requires some further thinking and an extra few quid

And it will be rotted, burnt, overgrown, slippy in no time. Still though, people would then have the chance to complain again

Max Powers wrote: »
    And it will be rotted, burnt, overgrown, slippy in no time. Still though, people would then have the chance to complain again

yes, the more natural materials would indeed rote, thats fairly normal alright, yup vandalism does indeed happen, and then theres maintenance, to try prevent the latter, rocket science, nope!

Max Powers wrote: »

Jaysus-you're really against 'Aul Woody'.I'm wonder how many people have claimed compensation over the years from slipping on this rotted,blackened overgrown piece of timber..

Jaysus-you're really against 'Aul Woody'.I'm wonder how many people have claimed compensation over the years from slipping on this rotted,blackened overgrown piece of timber..

to be fair, wooden bridges are lethal in such places, ive abandoned them myself, just too dangerous, but none native material bridges are awful to look at, they dont fit in at all, but such structures can be disguised

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have to agree it'll look fine once it's in situ for a while, a little foliage growing around it, the zinc sheen off it.

• Advertisement

It looks like a gangway for a river boat, obviously it doesn't have to be wooden but a bit more thought about it's aesthetics wouldn't have gone amiss. Could they have made it in green and put hard wood inserts along the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Lemon_Drop wrote: »
    Some ankles will be broken on it if the ladies decide to wear high heels, and also not very suitable for dogs.

How many ‘mutton’s dressed as lamb’ types with high heels,  make up etc will be crossing this bridge.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

How many ‘mutton’s dressed as lamb’ types with high heels, make up etc will be crossing this bridge.....?
    Correct and are the dog's wearing High Heels also. Jasus some people are NEVER happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

It's in Waterford county, not City.. Outside ye city folks 5km. The blow-in watch'll be onta ye!!:pac::pac:

Mugser wrote: »
    It's in Waterford county, not City.. Outside ye city folks 5km. The blow-in watch'll be onta ye!!:pac::pac:

We should merge the two forums.

We should merge the two forums.

...and annex some of the kilkenny forum while we re at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

O'Cathasaigh has been fairly vocal about the North Quay's, and the TUSE, more than some anyway.

Imreoir2 wrote:
    O'Cathasaigh has been fairly vocal about the North Quay's, and the TUSE, more than some anyway.

What's he been saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Exactly. He should be staying things like "Could we not have created a real university in Waterford" rather than worrying about the aesthetics of a f$#king pedestrian bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement