Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

deezell wrote: »
    But the duty thing? Would you buy a tv from them?

A TV is an example of a item that does attract duty (If made in a "third country"). The rate is 14%.

But not everything expensive does. A camera, for instance - even a top of the line mirrorless or DSLR costing thousands - has a duty rate of 0%.

So you need to be smart about what you buy from the UK. The good thing about Amazon is that they tell you right at the checkout what your VAT and Duty is, so you don't have any surprises. If the price at the Amazon checkout is better than what you'd get elsewhere, then there's no reason not to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Littlewoods state on their site its an irish registered company, so from consumer perspective its an irish transaction, up to them to deal with tge Brexit crap.

And Amazon is registered in Luxembourg - hence also covered by EU consumer law, and it is a European transaction, hence up to them to deal with the Brexit crap.

"If you are a consumer and have your habitual residence in the EU or the UK, you additionally enjoy the protection afforded to you by mandatory provisions of the law of your country of residence. "

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201909000&ref_=footer_cou

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

A TV is an example of a item that does attract duty (If made in a "third country"). The rate is 14%.

But not everything expensive does. A camera, for instance - even a top of the line mirrorless or DSLR costing thousands - has a duty rate of 0%.

So you need to be smart about what you buy from the UK. The good thing about Amazon is that they tell you right at the checkout what your VAT and Duty is, so you don't have any surprises. If the price at the Amazon checkout is better than what you'd get elsewhere, then there's no reason not to go for it.
    I suppose that was my point. If I buy a Samsung telly from Argos or power city, I pay what it says. Same telly might be in stock in uk, maybe €70 less even with Irish vat, but if hammered by duty after delivery.....That's good that they flag final price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suppose that was my point. If I buy a Samsung telly from Argos or power city, I pay what it says. Same telly might be in stock in uk, maybe €70 less even with Irish vat, but if hammered by duty after delivery.....That's good that they flag final price.

They aren't just flagging the final price, you have to actively click buy on the final price, to authorise the payment on the final checkout page.

And it really is the final price, no extra to pay on delivery, etc.

So either that final price, even if it includes import duty, is either better then argos/powercity or not. It is up to you the customer to decide.

BTW worth pointing out that most electrical items are 0% import duty rate, things like mobile phones, computers, headphones, cameras, smart home devices, etc. are all 0% rate, so no difference compared to pre-brexit. TV's are an odd man out at 14% duty.

A few odd items like hairdryers, vacuum cleaners, etc. are 2 to 3% import duty.

But again, don't worry about this, just look at the final price on amazon and make the purchase decision based on that.

BTW Don't forget there is always amazon.de, fr, es, etc. Though they don't have any free delivery to here, .de is always about €8 p&p to here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok all. I'm going to set up an IoT general chat sticky.

We need to keep this thread for Iot Bargain alerts only please. It's proving difficult to get new and regular users to avoid using this as a general chat thread. I get a few requests from people to have it as just a bargains alert thread with examples of how it works well on other forums.

So the General Chat forum Sticky will be set up. if you see something that you want to discuss please post there. It will be somewhere to move the post to as well.

Thank you all:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok all.

From now on can you only post bargain alerts here. If you want to discuss a "bargain" or if it is a bargain, please copy the thread and paste it into the General Chat Forum.

Thank you all fort understanding

you can report something that should come down as a bargain too.

All.

I've asked several times. Please no general chat here, there is a general chat thread, please ask questions, copy in the links, throw out suggestion there, or open another thread.

Nobody wants warning or infractions for this, but it is an alerts Not a Chat thread.

Thank you all

Tado have a one day deal on 'certified refurbs', as new. Stat starter kit fir €100, 2 TRVs for €95, wireless starter kit with HW, €135, from their Tado ie portal, so no customs surprises, excess or delivery charges.
    https://www.tado.com/ie-en/certified-refurbished?utm_campaign=newsletter_xmas_2020_cus_rmd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=intercom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Tado have a one day deal on 'certified refurbs', as new. Stat starter kit fir €100, 2 TRVs for €95, wireless starter kit with HW, €135, from their Tado ie portal, so no customs surprises, excess or delivery charges.
    https://www.tado.com/ie-en/certified-refurbished?utm_campaign=newsletter_xmas_2020_cus_rmd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=intercom

I bought and installed a refurbished wireless stat and extension kit a few weeks back, works great. So would highly recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

I bought and installed a refurbished wireless stat and extension kit a few weeks back, works great. So would highly recommend

Would this be an upgrade on a netatmo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Bought a kit there. Thanks for the heads up and advice Deezell. Champ

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

More of the smart home stuff in Lidl on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

meolwan wrote: »
    Would this be an upgrade on a netatmo ?

Drop into the home heating automation thread and can go through it in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

More of the smart home stuff in Lidl on Thursday.

Will these work with Philips hue hub and app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

jem wrote: »
    Will these work with Philips hue hub and app

I have the Lidl bulbs, socket and strip light. All work. I believe the extension lead doesn't

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

thecivvie wrote: »
    I have the Lidl bulbs, socket and strip light. All work. I believe the extension lead doesn't

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

thecivvie wrote: »

How long is the strip? Is it cut-able?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    How long is the strip? Is it cut-able?

2 metre long not sure about if its cut-able

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

23% off

A general tip, rather then a specific bargain. Because of Brexit, if you have Amazon Prime, items that cost £23 or less, you don't have to pay VAT on them, so basically 23% off.

For example, Philips Hue GU10 white twin pack, currently costs £21, but if you go through to checkout, you end up paying just £17.50

Teckin Smart Plugs twin pack, currently £16.99 advertised, at checkout £14.16

Yi camera, £21.99 advertised price, £18.32 at checkout.

So handy deal if picking up cheaper items, smart plugs, switches, bulbs, motion sensors, etc.

Some notes to be aware:
    - You need to have Amazon Prime, otherwise you pay delivery, which would make the deal not worth it. You can sign up for just one month, sometimes for free.
    - Your total order needs to come in at £23 or less. You can place separate orders for multiple items to stay under that amount.
    - This only applies up until I think July, from then, VAT will be charged on all items, regardless of amount.

• Advertisement

It's €22, not £22? About £19.40. However, this is the vat free invoice amount, so UK VAT inclusive price of £23.28 would be the limit.

It's €22, not £22? About £19.40. However, this is the vat free invoice amount, so UK VAT inclusive price of £23.28 would be the limit.

Yes, seems to be in or around there. I just tried an item for £23 and it worked, but one for £23.50 didn't. I suppose it could change slightly depending on exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bk wrote: »
    Yes, seems to be in or around there. I just tried an item for £23 and it worked, but one for £23.50 didn't. I suppose it could change slightly depending on exchange rate.

Somebody posted on a thread somewhere here that Revenue sets the exchange rate once a month wrt no VAT etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

23% off

A general tip, rather then a specific bargain. Because of Brexit, if you have Amazon Prime, items that cost £23 or less, you don't have to pay VAT on them, so basically 23% off.

For example, Philips Hue GU10 white twin pack, currently costs £21, but if you go through to checkout, you end up paying just £17.50

Teckin Smart Plugs twin pack, currently £16.99 advertised, at checkout £14.16

Yi camera, £21.99 advertised price, £18.32 at checkout.

So handy deal if picking up cheaper items, smart plugs, switches, bulbs, motion sensors, etc.

Some notes to be aware:
    - You need to have Amazon Prime, otherwise you pay delivery, which would make the deal not worth it. You can sign up for just one month, sometimes for free.
    - Your total order needs to come in at £23 or less. You can place separate orders for multiple items to stay under that amount.
    - This only applies up until I think July, from then, VAT will be charged on all items, regardless of amount.

100% works and a bargain for many items.
    Being buying since the start of the year, all small items, and delivered within 2 days in many cases.

There’s a full thread on it in the bargain alerts forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Anyone looking for a mesh network? eero mesh is £69.99 down from £99.99

Deal: Introducing Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi router/extender https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGJ9S9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dlT1_YTKDJ5ZAK4TWQFQYVFH1

Anyone got any experience with this? Need a AP but have Ubiquiti and the AP I want is sold out the last couple of months

20% off TP Link products and they sell other products too, an irish company with free delivery when you spend over €40

https://connectit.ie/?fbclid=PAAaapht7K86pY-OGyGRm6KoDoDr3Q-Uoy1VAGIhdA8W-uNqxr-tk2EYjEv7w

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

^ That reminds me, I just bought a 4 pack of TP-Link Tapo100 from Amazon for £31.50 (normally £50). But will keep an eye out for other bargains.

Nest hub back down to €58.53 till 9 March.

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

tado UK have refurbished products on sale, upto 50% off but nothing on the irish site

anyone know if the UK site will ship to ireland, either directly or via addresspal? I'd be looking at the wired kit for £90 and 2 x thermostats @ £150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Philips Hue smart plug down to £16.66 ~€19.40 Cheapest it's ever been with no VAT for us!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YQHTK8R?psc=1

Advertisement