Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fat bloke wrote: »
    *Yawn*... Another coffee, same grey ol' day, same grey sleeve... but... wait... what???

A nice new-watch dopamine hit to add to my caffeine buzz! :)

Is at a result of a swap?
    Lovely watch and always nice to see another one stay on the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

cnocbui wrote: »
    Many thanks. I was only going on the tracking for the delivery time, which seemed too quick. Left Japan yesterday, Left HongKong at 4am today, it's arrived in Leipzig 4Pm and they have it for delivery by days end tomorrow. Can hardly remember the last time I got away with something, so fingers crossed, but I'm prepared for the usual.

I got an email from DHL last week once it arrived in Ireland. cleared customs at 6am or so, they asked for payment by 6:30 and it was at my house in the same afternoon.

So you might still be caught yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Ian_OB What reference is that?

Looks like it's had an interesting life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

banie01 wrote: »
    Is at a result of a swap?
    Lovely watch and always nice to see another one stay on the forum?

Yeah I still had the 39mm size-niggles and it was handy for furiousox to swing by for a side by side comparison. Turned out we were both happy to walk away in the shoes of the other, so to speak :).

It's funny how vernier calipers never tell the full story cos even this bigger one looks and wears smaller than you'd expect!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

544728.jpg
    SpudCam2000

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm liking your vostok homage Wibbs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Seiko Samurai Srpc93

544736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And there I thought I didn't like Samurais...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

The bezel position is doing my OCD no favours but it's s lovely watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭scwazrh

unkel wrote: »
    And there I thought I didn't like Samurais...

Have you seen the 2021 dark manta ray samurai?sapphire Crystal , ceramic bezel and a dial that’s up there with grand Seiko . Incredible watch for the price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

fat bloke wrote: »
    *Yawn*... Another coffee, same grey ol' day, same grey sleeve... but... wait... what???

A nice new-watch dopamine hit to add to my caffeine buzz! :)

Showed this to she who has my Steinhart ovm1 on permanent loan last night and she says you have a lovely watch. Well wear.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

The sun is out, time for some colour

iRtCInC.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Back to the egg today. 1914ish American Hampden. The movement is a cracker and as good as the best Swiss and better than most. Well American movements were at this time and the Swiss were playing catchup. Chaton set jewels, micrometer regulation, Breguet overcoil and so on.

544855.jpg

Got it from France, so came a fair ways. The movement is 1908/9, but I assume later added to the case(nickel so unlike silver can't date it). Originally had the wrong "civilian" hands, but I got a civvie dial from a US lad, figuring I'd never get the correct handset. Military hands and dials are rare as rocking horse poo from this period). But then I did. :) Turned out the dial was the rarer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Restrapping my two daily wearers and trying to remember how to play solitaire. The Datejust is on a Colareb Roma, and the Speedie is on a Bulang & Son Newman bund.

RTdQ4CA.jpg

And this very eve I reckon I may have got life back in this old girl. Yay! :):)

544867.jpg

1972 Girard Perregaux early quartz and a scarily rare dial I looked for many years to find, among talk on forums that they were a promo item never sold to the public*. Joke is the quartz crystal, circuitry and stepping motor parts were fine, it was the mechanical keyless works/calender mechanism developed and produced by none other than the "Watchmaker's watchmaker" one Jaeger-LeCoultre that went arseways. I think I may have solved it. *crosses fingers* Time will tell. No pun.... :o

*Made by Singer, the same Singer Rolex among others used for their dials and later bought out. Unlike the majority of dials it's three colour passes and overlapping colour passes, on an fine sunburst type raised dial. Even today the vast majority that run a couple of colours don't risk printing on top of a previous colour because of the risk of bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Wibbs wrote: »
    Back to the egg today. 1914ish American Hampden. The movement is a cracker and as good as the best Swiss and better than most. Well American movements were at this time and the Swiss were playing catchup. Chaton set jewels, micrometer regulation, Breguet overcoil and so on.

Got it from France, so came a fair ways. The movement is 1908/9, but I assume later added to the case(nickel so unlike silver can't date it). Originally had the wrong "civilian" hands, but I got a civvie dial from a US lad, figuring I'd never get the correct handset. Military hands and dials are rare as rocking horse poo from this period). But then I did. :) Turned out the dial was the rarer.

Wibbs i have a coffee table book here called "A man and his watch" that has a bit of info about the watches a selection of well known people have, along with a bit from each of them about why/how they got the watch. I swear if you wrote an equivalent book it'd be more entertaining.

It would be a lot more longwinded T. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

It would be a lot more longwinded T. :D

Sure i was through the other one in 10 minutes!

Restrapping my two daily wearers and trying to remember how to play solitaire. The Datejust is on a Colareb Roma, and the Speedie is on a Bulang & Son Newman bund.
    I'm very much digging the out of the usual strap combos there F. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Fab looking GP there wibbs, I wonder if the graphic is actually of the quartz controller silicon die. Great to get it back working. I was outbid on a early quartz laureto recently, the build quality of the movement is superb.

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    Fab looking GP there wibbs, I wonder if the graphic is actually of the quartz controller silicon die.
    Well spotted. :) The very thing NJ. The Motorola chip that controls the gubbins. The watch with that dial was all over their publicity in 72, but vanishingly rare in the wild. Of the few I've seen, less than six in blue, same number in the golden version, four of them were gifted to Motorola employees back in the day. They were an expensive watch when new(double the price of a Speedmaster), so I suspect the vast majority of buyers in that price bracket would have gone for the more traditional dials.

Actually when I was keeping an eye out for one of these Tron dials I came across something even odder from a Swiss seller on the Bay. Girard Perragaux bought another brand back in the 60's called Consul. They mostly seemed to have made ladies pendant watches, though the occasional chronograph shows up(IIRC one of the GP family married into one of the Consul family). Anyway in this example and keeping with the new tech vibe they instead went with an IBM punchcard design for the dial.

544874.jpg

IE
    IBM-punch-card.jpg

Back then for your average person an IBM punchcard was more a known entity as far as "computers" were concerned, so it made sense at the time. Today it would be like finding a watch from the 80's with one of the original floppy disks on the dial. An anachronism today and the Kidz(tm) wouldn't know what the hell was going on. :D The Tron chip dial still holds far more relevance.

Internally it's all GP and it's a bit rough around some of the edges(case finishing and the like). Back when GP had their own little Q&A forum thingie they themselves had no clue what was going on. Again a Singer dial, though missing the 12 marker and from the back and under magnification it looks like it was never fitted. I strongly suspect a prototype/mockup. When I got it it wasn't working, but I got it going with another GP parts donor(when they were easy and cheap to get). Odd as hell and yeah ugly as sin, :D but a tiny little bit of watch and early computing history.

I got it for 57 euro, inc postage(the chip dial example I got for 220). Can't go wrong really.

Great to get it back working. I was outbid on a early quartz laureto recently, the build quality of the movement is superb.
    Thanks. *crosses fingers*.. Pity about the laureato. They're really popular in Italy and Spain. Maybe check out the .es and .it ebays? They made a nice quartz for a few years. One of the most robust of any and one of the most accurate too. Watches with the movement in my first series one were sent for observatory testing which lasted IIRC 30 days and subjected the watches to vibration and different temperatures as well as accuracy and they all passed with flying colours. The first quartz and one of the few to do so.

They had no jewels, instead they used teflon bearings. No oiling and almost no maintenance required. By the second series movements they went back to jewels as that's what the market demanded, because it sounds more "luxury". They also used a Lavet stepping motor which was smaller, didnt have exposed coils and had way more torque so they could use normal sized hands(but it was pricey to produce, so the cheaper type gained traction, even today in things like Seiko's GS quartz were they need a double pulse to drive the normal sized hands). Oh and GP set the 32768 Hz frequency standard that 99% of quartz watches use right down to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have an original HP 41C calculator in a drawer (dead) and well remember taking Pascal programs written on sheets of paper to the ladies in the punch room and then picking up the pile of cards later in the day. A few years before that in secondary school, we'd write our BASIC programs out then use a 2B pencil to mark little boxes on cards, not punched, but read by an optical system that detected the dark pencil marks rather than punched holes. These would be sent away and the following week they and the fan folded output sheets would come back and frequently you would find you had made an error in logic or marked a wrong box.

That watch is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have an original HP 41C calculator in a drawer (dead) and well remember taking Pascal programs written on sheets of paper to the ladies in the punch room and then picking up the pile of cards later in the day. A few years before that in secondary school, we'd write our BASIC programs out then use a 2B pencil to mark little boxes on cards, not punched, but read by an optical system that detected the dark pencil marks rather than punched holes. These would be sent away and the following week they and the fan folded output sheets would come back and frequently you would find you had made an error in logic or marked a wrong box.

That watch is cool.

Haha. I remember writing Cecil and BASIC programs in the mid 1970s. Learning about And gates, Or gates.
    Great fun writing on those cards with pencils. The computer we used was the size of about 2 double decker buses. Great fun actually.

I'm very much digging the out of the usual strap combos there F. :)

Adding non-mainstream straps to mainstream watches can take them out of the ordinary. Mostly.

Straps are a much under-valued part of a watch. What straps I can put on a watch is a big part of why I would buy a specific model. What watches I have are quite versatile and work with leather, a bund, bracelet, nato, and so on. It's like getting two watches for every one you buy !

Adding non-mainstream straps to mainstream watches can take them out of the ordinary. Mostly.

Straps are a much under-valued part of a watch. What straps I can put on a watch is a big part of why I would buy a specific model. What watches I have are quite versatile and work with leather, a bund, bracelet, nato, and so on. It's like getting two watches for every one you buy !

Very much coming around to this.

I am gathering various options, mostly cheap ones, to see what is best for my Speedmaster Mark II. I'm glad I got the original 1162 bracelet with it, but I'm not mad about the overall effect.

I think something a little narrower from the lugs (20mm) with a further taper actually makes it wear a little better.

Not mad about pure mesh, but have a few AliExpress options to see what does suit it, and me.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Very much coming around to this.

I am gathering various options, mostly cheap ones, to see what is best for my Speedmaster Mark II. I'm glad I got the original 1162 bracelet with it, but I'm not mad about the overall effect.

I think something a little narrower from the lugs (20mm) with a further taper actually makes it wear a little better.

Not mad about pure mesh, but have a few AliExpress options to see what does suit it, and me.

That's a harder watch to pair a strap with. I'm not mad about mesh either. Would be interested to see what options you have. Throw up a few pics?

I don't think a mesh works on a speedy. And it's probably just me but I don't like it on a bracelet either. Try natos and leather!

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think a mesh works on a speedy. And it's probably just me but I don't like it on a bracelet either. Try natos and leather!

The alligator and deployant option is really good with a Speedmaster. I have a cheaper version than the Omega one.

This is it in The American:

BYWTxHh.jpg

PSTLsI1.jpg

I've been playing with a few types. NATOs don't really work for me, as my damn wrists are so big, I don't have enough left over to do anything reasonable with.

OEM 1162:
    tFwoRr.jpg

Classic Speedie style
    LOXPIR.jpg

Vintage leather:
    qHneXn.jpg

Padded leather:
    9oxXTp.jpg

Uncle Seiko President style:
    20210104-JMS02009_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I found this style on AliExpress with straight end links. It's on the way, so will try that too.
    If it works out, I may get the US version and then swap the end links.

The OEM bracelet stays very wide at 22mm before tapering sharply. It has an almost Cobra line to it that is distinctive, but not to mys taste.

The classic Speedie style above has a nice taper to it, so I'm following that line.

All suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement

That last one is very nice. Is that the same style that your man Oisin owns on his speedy and showed in one of his latest videos? He mentioned more than once that his is the original bracelet and apparently very valuable.

Advertisement