Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Hubertj wrote: »
    If you started the thread can you change the title?

Not sure if I can. What should I change it to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just maybe we do have a housing crisis and you are wrong when you say we don’t....just maybe

I think he/she believes every owner of a shop with unoccupied room above it, has a spare €30K to hand to refurbish those rooms to domestic habitation standards.

Not to mention that those without the cash would all be willing to take on debt and take a punt on financial viability of the exercise.

Would they not need planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »

Random musings related to the Irish property market at no defined point in the future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Just maybe we do have a housing crisis and you are wrong when you say we don’t....just maybe

We may have a "housing crisis", but we definitely don't have a "housing shortage".

Remember all those evictions and queues of people seeking rental accommodation between 2013 and 2016.

Suddenly, after the vulture funds completed their purchase of c. €200billion in loans between 2012 and 2016, the media coverage of the evictions and queues near enough stopped.

In fact, I've seen very little coverage in the media of queues of people seeking rental accommodation over the past 3 years.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of media coverage of vacant apartments all over Dublin. I've also travelled all over Ireland over the past 3 years and there's still nothing but empty houses all over Ireland.

The funds have more than likely now got through the paperwork of what they bought and their properties will be entering the market in bulk in the very near future, interest rate rises or no interest rate rises IMO

Cyrus wrote: »
    How is a future undefined framework impacting the current market ?

A lot of (most I suspect) buyers and sellers in 2021 will consider potential future tax/legislation changes and implications as part of the decision making criteria.

• Advertisement

A lot of (most I suspect) buyers and sellers in 2021 will consider potential future tax/legislation changes and implications as part of the decision making criteria.

So what do you think datadude for example is thinking about the future legislative and tax framework with regard to his decision to buy a family home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

They are not on the market for sale or rent at moment principally because of the current tax and legislative framework.

I dont disagree with tax and legislation as a deterrent to put property up for rent but not up for sale. Currently a lot of property on the market could be sold with the CGT exemptions yet they are not going up for sale. Like I say you seem to know the future that properties will be up available for sale or rent at some point in the future the question has to be asked why are they not up now with CGT taxes on some , rents through the roof and currently property prices are rising ..you would think we would have more up for sale than there currently is given those parameters , yet you know the properties currently empty and not for sale or rent will be coming on stream. How do you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭DataDude

So what do you think datadude for example is thinking about the future legislative and tax framework with regard to his decision to buy a family home ?

I might actually be a bad example here because I have already factored in a change in tax and reduced my max budget for a house somewhat :D. Make spreadsheets for just about everything and have projected a 5% increase in marginal tax rate above €100k plus elimination of tax credits along with some other COVID related stuff e.g. no pay increases vs previously assumed 3% per annum in 2021 - 2023 and reduced bonus payment in those years.

I'm weird like that though and don't think I'm in anyway representative of most people. But it is crazy to me how people couldn't be worried about these things going forward. I guess if your income is lower then tax is unlikely to be an issue and your gross pay can only fall so much, but I strongly believe people on higher incomes need to be considering some "solidarity tax/USC 2.0". Not the Irish way though - "borrow as much as I can, get the house - payments? Will try to make them as best I can, but sure if I don't, they can't take the house anyway!"

EDIT - only read that post in isolation. Have now realized conversation wasn't really around personal taxation. Personally, I've lost all hope of any dramatic policy shifts in relation to housing from this government that would provide downward pressure on house prices. I think the opposite is more likely. I am kept awake at night at the possibility of this leading to a hard left government with subsequent policies affecting prices (and a lot of other things...). That prospect is both too far away and not certain enough to really impact my buying decisions today.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

Whats yr solution for an individual among many chasing their own home

Maybe wait until viewings can resume again.

All I know is that the current way is pushing prices up further which is bad news for anyone trying to buy.

DataDude wrote: »
    That prospect is both too far away and not certain enough to really impact my buying decisions today.

Indeed and I’d imagine most are the same .

• Advertisement

He's reduced his max budget according to his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Kerry holiday home hunting?

He's reduced his max budget according to his post.

Making an allowance for a change in income tax rates but we both know that’s not what you meant. And I’d class him as a relatively sophisticated buyer.

Making an allowance for a change in income tax rates but we both know that’s not what you meant. And I’d class him as a relatively sophisticated buyer.

So we have a sophisticated buyer who has "already factored in a change in tax and reduced my max budget for a house somewhat" and you are saying that this contradicts my point that "A lot of (most I suspect) buyers and sellers in 2021 will consider potential future tax/legislation changes and implications as part of the decision making criteria"??!!! :rolleyes:

Looks like the hotel sector will still add more than 4,000 beds in Dublin alone this year.

According to the SBP today: “More than 4,000 hotel beds to be completed in Dublin this year. New beds will increase existing stock in the capital of 24,000 by 17 per cent, according to Mitchell McDermott construction sector report.”

Hotel beds, student beds, luxury apartments, offices, data centres. We’re still building everything and anything but actual homes for families.

Link to SBP article here: https://www.businesspost.ie/houses/more-than-4000-hotel-beds-to-be-completed-in-dublin-this-year-60e22ae0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

Who is saying property prices are only rising ?

The deniers with vested interest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

decreds wrote: »
    The deniers with vested interest

And the CSO, not that they matter a jot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

cnocbui wrote: »
    And the CSO, not that they matter a jot.

At this stage i can't take anyone seriously who is adamant that prices are going to keep rising in the long term > 5 years, regardless of credentials/title/organization.

I'm not saying property prices will drop by a huge amount in the short term but with mass unemployment, biggest recession in history and SF coming into power in 2024, tis not looking good for the aul price rises.

decreds wrote: »
    At this stage i can't take anyone seriously who is adamant that prices are going to keep rising in the long term > 5 years, regardless of credentials/title/organization.

I'm not saying property prices will drop by a huge amount in the short term but with mass unemployment, biggest recession in history and SF coming into power in 2024, tis not looking good for the aul price rises.

Where are you getting mass unemployment? For god sakes can you and others predicting doom and gloom not see that the country is shut down , companies have been told to close. I have no doubt some wont reopen but the majority on pup will be going back to jobs they were doing in 2019. If you have any evidence of the contrary can you provide it?

SF will be an absolute joke if they get in they have promised the sun moon and stars and when they come up against the fact that the majority of the spend in this country is on public sector and welfare they will find out just how hard it is to take away what has been given. So cutting will be very hard, then on the tax when they find out how low we enter the higher tax bracket and understand that raising taxes higher on people already paying over 50% of every Euro earned at such a low rate the law of diminishing returns will squarely kneecap them. The room for tax raises on income is at the lower end of the spectrum where people earning under a certain threshold pay little or nothing but these people are SF main base. It will be actually funny watching them in power to be honest. Similar to a Trump it will be a sh1tshow or like a dog chasing a car, they go at it fiercely to try and get the car and when they get it they have no clue what to do and usually end up getting squashed :)

Did you copy and paste your last paragraph from 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Looks like the hotel sector will still add more than 4,000 beds in Dublin alone this year.

According to the SBP today: “More than 4,000 hotel beds to be completed in Dublin this year. New beds will increase existing stock in the capital of 24,000 by 17 per cent, according to Mitchell McDermott construction sector report.”

Hotel beds, student beds, luxury apartments, offices, data centres. We’re still building everything and anything but actual homes for families.

Link to SBP article here: https://www.businesspost.ie/houses/more-than-4000-hotel-beds-to-be-completed-in-dublin-this-year-60e22ae0

The student accommodation really does my head in. Much better for students to live in a house with others and actually learn how to live with people. Proper houses can be used for both student accommodation and as family homes. These boxes for students are just depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We may have a "housing crisis", but we definitely don't have a "housing shortage".

Remember all those evictions and queues of people seeking rental accommodation between 2013 and 2016.

Suddenly, after the vulture funds completed their purchase of c. €200billion in loans between 2012 and 2016, the media coverage of the evictions and queues near enough stopped.

In fact, I've seen very little coverage in the media of queues of people seeking rental accommodation over the past 3 years.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of media coverage of vacant apartments all over Dublin. I've also travelled all over Ireland over the past 3 years and there's still nothing but empty houses all over Ireland.

The funds have more than likely now got through the paperwork of what they bought and their properties will be entering the market in bulk in the very near future, interest rate rises or no interest rate rises IMO

Where are all these empty houses?

Where are all these empty houses?

This is the hundred billion dollar question. Some posters on here seem to think we have an abundance of supply, over 100k according to some. They are including properties that have succumbed to being abolished and not counted out as such, some are not habitable yet kept in the count, some were counted as empty when the census was done so included in the empties even do they are not, some are holiday homes so someone actually owns them and uses them so they are not part of supply and some are rooms over shops that some feel are worthy of being included in this count. Yet when the question of why the hell are they not up for sale or rent when we are experiencing a price rise in property or up for rent when rents are very high they have no answer except tax and legislation. Which I actually agree with when it comes to property being held by REITS and hedge funds, these companies can afford to lose profits now if they get more in the long run. But some think this wave of property will be hitting the market in the near future..Careful bring your umbrella it might be raining apartments and sheds soon :)

optogirl wrote: »
      The student accommodation really does my head in. Much better for students to live in a house with others and actually learn how to live with people. Proper houses can be used for both student accommodation and as family homes. These boxes for students are just depressing.

Student accommodation is brilliant. They have single and double bedrooms and a certain amount of bedrooms share kitchen and sitting rooms.
      If anything they share with more people then living in 3 bed semis or 2 bed apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

fliball123 wrote: »
      Where are you getting mass unemployment? For god sakes can you and others predicting doom and gloom not see that the country is shut down , companies have been told to close. I have no doubt some wont reopen but the majority on pup will be going back to jobs they were doing in 2019. If you have any evidence of the contrary can you provide it?

SF will be an absolute joke if they get in they have promised the sun moon and stars and when they come up against the fact that the majority of the spend in this country is on public sector and welfare they will find out just how hard it is to take away what has been given. So cutting will be very hard, then on the tax when they find out how low we enter the higher tax bracket and understand that raising taxes higher on people already paying over 50% of every Euro earned at such a low rate the law of diminishing returns will squarely kneecap them. The room for tax raises on income is at the lower end of the spectrum where people earning under a certain threshold pay little or nothing but these people are SF main base. It will be actually funny watching them in power to be honest. Similar to a Trump it will be a sh1tshow or like a dog chasing a car, they go at it fiercely to try and get the car and when they get it they have no clue what to do and usually end up getting squashed :)

Did you copy and paste your last paragraph from 2020 :)

I love your optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Has anybody travelled outside 5km to view a property? Would it be considered non essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

optogirl wrote: »

I live in the middle of a load of it. The student thing is a figleaf, they're Airbnbs.

fliball123 wrote: »

This is the hundred billion dollar question. Some posters on here seem to think we have an abundance of supply, over 100k according to some. They are including properties that have succumbed to being abolished and not counted out as such, some are not habitable yet kept in the count, some were counted as empty when the census was done so included in the empties even do they are not, some are holiday homes so someone actually owns them and uses them so they are not part of supply and some are rooms over shops that some feel are worthy of being included in this count. Yet when the question of why the hell are they not up for sale or rent when we are experiencing a price rise in property or up for rent when rents are very high they have no answer except tax and legislation. Which I actually agree with when it comes to property being held by REITS and hedge funds, these companies can afford to lose profits now if they get more in the long run. But some think this wave of property will be hitting the market in the near future..Careful bring your umbrella it might be raining apartments and sheds soon :)

It’s actually the €200 Billion question :)

According to the RTÉ documentary in January 2017 called The Great Irish Sell-Off, the vulture funds “control 90,000 mortgages AND €200 billion in property and business loans in the country”

To put that figure in perspective, Ires REIT only has a market cap of less than €1billion.

And that’s only what they bought between 2012 and 2016. God know how much they’ve bought or control since then.

It’s the elephant in the room that everyone seems to be ignoring. But once it wakes up, we won’t be able to ignore it IMO

It’s still on the RTÉ Player or you can read the Irish Times review of it here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/the-great-irish-sell-off-turning-the-spotlight-on-ireland-s-vulture-capitalists-1.2931597

Yurt! wrote: »
        I love your optimism.

Optimism or not the government has put in place financial supports for companies that have been forced to closed and PUP and other payments to employees who are not working. I would hazard a guess they would not of done that if they were not counting on the majority of the closed companies reopening and for the majority of employees on support going back to work. Could they be that stupid to be paying all this time only for a tsunami of companies to go bankrupt and then have to pay out again for redundancies. But maybe I give them too much credit. We will have to wait and see when covid is a thing of the past. What we can see are there have been a number of new jobs coming in both private and public sector so once covid is gone we will have to see where we are.

It’s actually the €200 Billion question :)

According to the RTÉ documentary in January 2017 called The Great Irish Sell-Off, the vulture funds “control 90,000 mortgages AND €200 billion in property and business loans in the country”

To put that figure in perspective, Ires REIT only has a market cap of less than €1billion.

And that’s only what they bought between 2012 and 2016. God know how much they’ve bought or control since then.

It’s the elephant in the room that everyone seems to be ignoring. But once it wakes up, we won’t be able to ignore it IMO

It’s still on the RTÉ Player or you can read the Irish Times review of it here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/the-great-irish-sell-off-turning-the-spotlight-on-ireland-s-vulture-capitalists-1.2931597

Surely this elephant will cause prices to go up as it lessens supply?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I don't believe I have ever said we do not have a current housing crisis. But no doubt you'll correct me if I am wrong.

544870.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement