Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about prepping for LC orals?

• 24-02-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

This question is directed at the modern language teachers.

Normally at this point I would be into exclusive prepping for the oral. But what on earth to do this year? I have a very strong French group this year whose oral skills would be very good due to their having worked a lot in small groups with an excellent French assistant. I'd imagine a good few of them would want to use a document and would be aiming for the top two grades.

I've no idea what option they plan to take for the LC so am at a loss as to how much class time to now dedicate to oral prep. Also, the oral content is considerably watered down so maybe 2-3 weeks of class time prep might be enough? Or not enough? Too much?

Would really appreciate the views of other language teachers in a similar boat. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not a language teacher, but looking at it logically.

If you have at least one student who is going to sit the exam, you have to do prep for each exam component as normal. The ones opting for predicted grades just have to row in with the work done in class.

If it turns out that no student in your class opts to sit the exam (unlikely) then it doesn't make any difference if they have prepped for oral in the next week or two as there is no exam relying on it. When the portal opens on the 8th, you'll probably have a better idea of numbers anyway.

My subject has a project so I'll be full steam ahead into that from next week regardless of whether 1 student sits the exam or they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks rainbowtrout, I appreciate your reply and agree but my dilemma is how much time to spend at the oral prep this year. In a normal year I'd spend a good 4 weeks of class prep and practice, like rehearsals for a play. But I'm wondering if that's too much this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

I'm going to continue preparing oral work with my class. For those that are choosing PG only, I'm telling them that the oral component is essential to language learning and will be part of their assessment for the PG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

Panga wrote: »
    I'm going to continue preparing oral work with my class. For those that are choosing PG only, I'm telling them that the oral component is essential to language learning and will be part of their assessment for the PG.

Good idea but will you prep as much as you would in a traditional year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Comer1

My subject has a project so I'll be full steam ahead into that from next week regardless of whether 1 student sits the exam or they all do.

As a DCG teacher, I'm in the same position as yourself. My understanding of the situation is that students choosing Accredited Grades only, do not have to submit a project, so not sure how I'm going to deal with them over the next couple of weeks. I don't want to see them sitting back with their feet up for two weeks, but don't want to waste time and energy fighting with them to complete a project that will end up in the bin.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭db

Surely you have to teach as normally as possible. It doesn't really matter to those not doing the exams but it definitely matters to those who are. Students picking accredited grades only should expect to do the exact same work as those doing the exam. As teachers you have to mark them with the grade you would expect them to get in the exam and for that surely you need to know what their oral standard is, how good their project was etc.

Advertisement