Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner permit renewal under level 5

• 19-02-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation or has any ideas as to what can be done:

Learner permit will expire soon, almost definitely before level 5 restrictions are lifted. NDLS centres are only open for renewals for essential workers under level 5. Need a PSC to renew online but PSC appointments suspended under level 5...

According to the the welfare website it is possible to ask for a PSC appointment if really needed to access public services. This seems overly cumbersome - attending an in-person appointment in order to complete an online renewal to avoid an in-person appointment - but looks like the only option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I'm in the same boat. My permit expired two days ago and I went on the site to see how to renew. They won't let me because I don't have a test booked. Can't book a test......

I sent them a message through their site yesterday because I couldn't get through on the phone. Pretty frustrating. I haven't been able to put in any practice because I can't meet up with my sponsor. I don't even know if I can book a test because I haven't finished my lessons...

I'll let you know if I hear back from them. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 codriscoll1

LazyClouds wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. My permit expired two days ago and I went on the site to see how to renew. They won't let me because I don't have a test booked. Can't book a test......

I sent them a message through their site yesterday because I couldn't get through on the phone. Pretty frustrating. I haven't been able to put in any practice because I can't meet up with my sponsor. I don't even know if I can book a test because I haven't finished my lessons...

I'll let you know if I hear back from them. Sigh.

You can still book a test before completing your EDT lessons (you won't be given a test date until you complete them though). The confirmation of your test booking can then be used to renew your permit.

I need to go in in person to renew my licence. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. Then I'll book a test (thanks codriscoll1). I had to call my insurers as not having a licence is a bit important to them. I called them in the hopes they'd extend my coverage but I need to call them back as soon as I get my licence sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I tried to go down the PSC route recently - they advised they would only give me the appointment if I needed the car to drive to work! (Like there are other reasons you might need your car! I didn't mention that it was a Learner Permit to them!)

I have an appointment in the NDLS center on Saturday as was getting nowhere with the PSC people. I have an essential worker letter from work so just hoping that they allow me to renew it. I have applied for the test since Nov and have heard nothing (which is probably good news as cant get any lessons at the mo).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 codriscoll1

ams wrote: »
    I tried to go down the PSC route recently - they advised they would only give me the appointment if I needed the car to drive to work! (Like there are other reasons you might need your car! I didn't mention that it was a Learner Permit to them!)

I have an appointment in the NDLS center on Saturday as was getting nowhere with the PSC people. I have an essential worker letter from work so just hoping that they allow me to renew it. I have applied for the test since Nov and have heard nothing (which is probably good news as cant get any lessons at the mo).

If you have an essential worker letter you should have no problems in the NDLS centre.

Also just to add, under Level 5 restrictions, essential workers with a confirmed test date can get lessons to prepare for the test (this is assuming you've already completed your 12 EDT lessons). So if you do get a test date, you can do lessons if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Spursyiddo

I read today that they are extending all licence for 10 months from date of expiry and a letter will be sent out to all

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Spursyiddo wrote: »
    I read today that they are extending all licence for 10 months from date of expiry and a letter will be sent out to all

Yes, licences NOT permits

https://www.ndls.ie/expiry-calculator.html#new-extension-period-for-driving-licences-find-out-more

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

Looks like there isn't much to be done - I was told it's not possible to get a PSC...

Applied for a test in early October and haven't heard a thing. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get my permit renewed so it's just as well! Quite frustrating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Same boat myself. Learner permit expires in a week and never had need for a myGovID account. Set one up today but it says I need a PSC card to verify it and it would seem you can't get a PSC card at the moment according to the gov.ie site. Are we all just sh*t out of luck? I've fired an e-mail off to NDLS to see what they say in the mean time and might try book an appointment with the NDLS online to see if it goes through. Edit - appointment made for nearest centre and I ain't leaving till it gets done!

Cancelled my appointment last Friday after reading about the extension - guess I'll have to make another one :(

• Advertisement

I was able to renew my permit (for 35e) by going through the RSA site (I couldn't find the direct link when I was failing to navigate the NDLS site, so I just googled "book driving test ireland" and the right RSA site came up). Luckily I already have a MyGov set up so I was able to get into it. Then you need to "set your goal" which is ridiculous. The hiccup that I couldn't seem to bypass was this idiotic first step towards my goal which required me to tick that I had access to a car or something (can't even find that site now so I can't remember...) So then I was able to book a test, or get on the waiting list, it was unclear. The website didn't really say that I was on the waiting list but gave me the option to pay for it now but then that link didn't work. The it was pretty much plain sailing. I renewed the permit online and cancelled my physical appointment.

But, long story short, the whole system, from an IT perspective is ridiculously confusing. But also, the fact that I even had to PAY to renew my permit is incredibly lame. I haven't been able to practice let alone do my lessons because of lockdown. I don't understand why permits are not being automatically extended. Bananas.

Just to follow up on this, it seems the NDLS centres are open for anything, not just essential workers. I was able to book an appointment online no problem, rocked in with the required docs etc to renew my learner permit and was in and out in 10 mins no questions or issues. In fact the guy I dealt with said you're always better off coming in and doing it face to face as any issues with the online process are a pain to fix. Plus there's the fact that online forces you to have a PSC card which is still controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

Cancelled my appointment last Friday after reading about the extension - guess I'll have to make another one :(

I had the same issue doing my truck test... You set up my road safety and as you said complete goals.. ie pass theory test and so on.
    I got some lessons done booked test and waited since last November and did test 18th of February and passed... If anyone wants to know how i managed to get test date pm happy to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

I was able to renew my permit (for 35e) by going through the RSA site (I couldn't find the direct link when I was failing to navigate the NDLS site, so I just googled "book driving test ireland" and the right RSA site came up). Luckily I already have a MyGov set up so I was able to get into it. Then you need to "set your goal" which is ridiculous. The hiccup that I couldn't seem to bypass was this idiotic first step towards my goal which required me to tick that I had access to a car or something (can't even find that site now so I can't remember...) So then I was able to book a test, or get on the waiting list, it was unclear. The website didn't really say that I was on the waiting list but gave me the option to pay for it now but then that link didn't work. The it was pretty much plain sailing. I renewed the permit online and cancelled my physical appointment.

But, long story short, the whole system, from an IT perspective is ridiculously confusing. But also, the fact that I even had to PAY to renew my permit is incredibly lame. I haven't been able to practice let alone do my lessons because of lockdown. I don't understand why permits are not being automatically extended. Bananas.

Yes I'm very confused about this 'set your goal' thing - I booked my test prior to them introducing it (I think anyway - no mention of it at the time, it was an older system) and when I log in to the new system now it says I'm on the waiting list. But then it also says, on another part of the screen, you must set a goal to book your test. I assume I'm on the waiting list so it's fine?? Like, if I hadn't logged into my account randomly I wouldn't have even known about it so... I contacted the RSA a while ago but still no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Minimum 3 week processing time they told me when I renewed.

Yeah was told 3 - 4 weeks :confused:

Yeah was told 3 - 4 weeks :confused:

I sent mine off on 19th of February... Said up to 3 weeks... Hopefully have it soon will keep ye posted.

I renewed mine on 2nd in a centre and got dispatch text on 5th.

I renewed mine on 2nd in a centre and got dispatch text on 5th.

I also called into centre as i said on 19th feb.. Got text messages on march 1st say being sorted will take up to 3 week... Jesus your lucky it that fast... I am waiting to start artic truck lessons but without learners licence f**ked.

I also called into centre as i said on 19th feb.. Got text messages on march 1st say being sorted will take up to 3 week... Jesus your lucky it that fast... I am waiting to start artic truck lessons but without learners licence f**ked.

Big of a difference alright! Maybe the truck takes longer to process?

• Advertisement

Big of a difference alright! Maybe the truck takes longer to process?

True maybe its a larger license.. Most get a bigger wallet for it.

True maybe its a larger license.. Most get a bigger wallet for it.

:D

Car battery has died in meantime due to lack of use - learning to drive has been a nightmare with Covid!

Car battery has died in meantime due to lack of use - learning to drive has been a nightmare with Covid!

My brakes seized because I hadn't used the car all lockdown. It was scary watching the AA guy fix it.... "If nothing else works hit it with a sledge hammer" D:

My brakes seized because I hadn't used the car all lockdown. It was scary watching the AA guy fix it.... "If nothing else works hit it with a sledge hammer" D:

Leave handbrake off and in 1st gear.. That will stop them locking up.

Leave handbrake off and in 1st gear.. That will stop them locking up.

Lol my car is parked on a bit of a hill so I wouldn't want it to run off on me 🀣

Lol my car is parked on a bit of a hill so I wouldn't want it to run off on me 🀣

Facing up hill 1st gear... Down hill put in reverse.

You have my sympathy, being an instructor hasn’t been much fun either and I’m really dreading the restart tbh

You have my sympathy, being an instructor hasn’t been much fun either and I’m really dreading the restart tbh

Hi you don't have to answer this but as an instructor would you be surprised if anyone has got worse or simply forgotten loads since lockdown? I haven't been able to practice since the end of november and I'm incredibly anxious about having to explain this to my instructor whenever I see him next... :(

• Advertisement

Hi you don't have to answer this but as an instructor would you be surprised if anyone has got worse or simply forgotten loads since lockdown? I haven't been able to practice since the end of november and I'm incredibly anxious about having to explain this to my instructor whenever I see him next... :(

It’s perfectly normal mate. Be honest with your instructor, they should put you at ease. In the circumstances, if you told me that I’d bring you somewhere quiet first, let you settle in then go from there. Honestly is definitely the best policy, no need to feel embarrassed about it or anything. Best of luck

Advertisement