Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euromillions €210 million

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

FR85 wrote: »
    Oh hey, you are dead right on the timing, I'd back to where I'd started. Imagine being in lockdown with 200million in the bank, doing nothing except pissing off the Amazon delivery driver!
    Couldn't even build the house of your dreams at the minute.

You would have to jump on a private jet and lock yourself away somewhere and that is not a life.

Super yacht

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd buy a big f*ck-off ranch in America like the one in Wild Wild Country, except without the cult aspects and red clothes. I'd keep many attractive women around for sexy times though.

I'd also embark on a low-level revenge campaign for people that have annoyed me in the past. For example, I had really crap boss years back who only got his job through pull and would bully staff. He used to constantly moan about travellers. I'd buy houses either side of him and give the keys to a family of travellers. When he'd sell up and move on, I'd keep on doing the same until he'd go demented and buy a caravan to hit the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Super yacht
    Nah.

Get a second hand oil rig support vessel.

Up front can take any weather.

Big flat deck out back, stick anything you want there.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Super yacht

Good plan batman, if yeh know anything about yachts or the sea you have the job as a thank you!!! 😂

That’s huge money. Most people are treating it like the Irish lottery. Buy a big house in Ireland? You could buy a few dozen.

I kinda like the idea of an American ranch though, although I’d have no idea what to do.

The only work I’d go is with some investment company, maybe in IT. 2-3 days a week max.

• Advertisement

That’s huge money. Most people are treating it like the Irish lottery. Buy a big house in Ireland? You could buy a few dozen.

I kinda like the idea of an American ranch though, although I’d have no idea what to do.

The only work I’d go is with some investment company, maybe in IT. 2-3 days a week max.

Many women. Sexy times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ohhh I've a few ideas.

I wouldn't confirm exactly how much I won, do something like someone posted earlier, wait for a decent lottery size to be won in Dublin and say it was me, maybe a couple of million to take the spotlight off me.

Definitely help the family, pay off mortgages any house renovations they want paid for, new cars etc and a college fun for every niece and nephew.

A lump sum for each of my parents but also couple of credit cards with stupidly high limits that they buy everything they will ever need with and I'll cover that for then for life so they can holiday, travel, treat themselves to whatever they like whenever they like.

I'd love to buy a nice big luxury sailing yacht, a decent size one with 2-3 well paid crew and just sail away to various spots around the world spending anything from a week to a month in interesting places learning about new cultures etc. Probably drop a few million just for the yacht but still leaves a decent chunk to "survive" on. However if anyone ever asked, I'd tell them I took a job on one as I was bored with the 9-5 lifestyle :D

Always wanted to learn how to fly, so that would be another nice hobby, not a jet but a nice twin engine prop that again I could use for short hops around Europe. Again hidden away with very few people knowing about it. Certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact that I have it.

Honestly all of that would probably be an absolute max of 10-15 million.

After that I'd focus on those around me who are less fortunate.

Definitely help local clubs in the area, charities and the like, especially children's charities. Some kids out there face an uphill battle before they are even out of nappies, anything to give them a shot at a decent life is worth whatever it takes in my mind.

After that who knows, maybe hire a team of people to search out those in need in the local community and anonymously help them out, clear debts, a fund for things like school books and uniforms, help small businesses suffering in the current climate, college scholarship funds for kids whose families can't afford to send them to college etc.

Help to fund those make a wish activities for terminally ill children, give them something and their families to look forward to.

I wouldn't be too interested in rubbing people's noses in it, the yacht, plane etc would be hidden away from sight of anyone I know.

All pipe dreams but nice pipe dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

As mentioned before I would keep it quiet and announce my winnings when another jackpot is announced anonymously. €210 million is way too much money for a person who has never known wealth to have. I'd look after my family of course but Id like to think I would do something meaningful and use the money to help sick kids around Ireland and purchase property within the vicinity of the hospital, specifically accommodate the parents of sick children so they're close.

As we've seen with Steve Jobs. Wealth doesn't buy health

Book out a pub for a wkend and invite a very select small circle of friends and family - free bar all wkend

Organise with the pub to have a full Irish buffet every morning up til about 2 pm then later on baskets of sausages and chips and sandwiches for every one, free of charge

Baskets of sausages. I don't think you'd make it out alive. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

startrek56 wrote: »
    also, i would never spend another winter in a cold wet miserable country ever again, Caribbean for me from october-april

You'd be home for Christmas, guaranteed 🎄😉ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Alright I think of this every night :/

First of all - Pay off the mortgages on my old homes and my current ones. Sell the other two. Pay off my brothers and sisters. Throw them a million each to look after my nephews and nieces.

Second - Get my two kids into private schools, I’m debating do I leave my job. I could get bored easily and that’s dangerous. Might just try not work Mondays and stick at my job. Not into golf so can’t just do that every day like those rich lads. I’d buy a new top of the range car for me and the wife. I’d keep my gaff, do the whole insides up though. 75 inch tv in the living room. Massive couches.

Third - Get one of those financial advisors but that’s not interesting so we will skip this part

Fourth - Have a minimum of 5 holidays a year. Travel the world. Maybe buy a house in America or something. Then trade the wife in for a supermodel. hahahah joking on the last part............

maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I would take that €210m and somehow turn it into €210bn. Then I would join Dinny in Malta to avoid our extortionate 33% capital gains tax rate and become an Irish Roman Abramovic by being a sugar daddy to Bohemians FC. and see if I can sign top players without violating UEFA's FFP regulations.
    positron wrote: »
    It's a dangerous situations tbh - if the news leaks, you could be in for pain for bother, money usually attracts the wrong kind of people.
    image.jpg

I haven't done the lottery in a decade. The Irish lottery website saying I must reside in Ireland and be in Ireland to buy a ticket online. Surely that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’d make sure not to tell the wife until the divorce comes through.

Then it’s hookers and coke for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Thing is if you won a few million. Do you change your whole wardrobe or continue with the clothes you have now. I don’t think I’d be srolling about in a pair of runners that cost 500 quid. I’m pennies until I die

After giving this further thought, it really is f*ck off money, so I'd get creative and behave in as an eccentric way as possible.

First, I'd hire a stable of henchmen:

- An ashen-faced Japanese man with a mustache who will interpret my every word at social events into Japanese for no particular reason

- Ex-Spetsnaz Russian special forces bodyguard dressed in a white suit, who'll have a box of tic tacs on hand so my breath is minty fresh at all times. If anyone approaches me, I'll instruct him to ask me "should I put him in a sleeper hold boss?" To which I'll always say: "no Nicholai, we can trust this one. And besides, we don't want another mess like Tel Aviv on our hands."

- An attractive Cambridge-educated secretary of Jewish descent. To whom I will dictate letters to people I have met at socials, and send them a review and my thoughts of them.

"Lieber Herr Schwab, I found our conversation about ECB interest rates to be an utter bore, and your understanding of modern monetary theory to be puerile and laced with Hayekian presumptions. I would however like to meet your wife unaccompanied by you. Please send arrangements to my secretary at your earliest convenience."

- An Orthodox Rabbai, so I can consult on and debate matters of great ethical importance.

- A team of sexy female North Korean Taekwondo masters who will accompany me to Paris fashion week dressed in simple little black numbers and black berets.

- Michael Healy Rae as my PR and spokesperson.

I'd also travel via hovercraft wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Two things first - a very competent lawyer, and a wealth fund manager. Maybe also a tax guy to reduce any tax burden. I expect the money will actually be signed over to an offshore holding company or something like that.

If 200m is invested well enough, a 5% return shouldn't be unreasonable. That gives me 10 million a year. Probably reinvest 5 into the portfolio to account for inflation to not devalue the capital sum. 5 million a year, even after (smartly reduced) taxes should be plenty to live comfortably.

For now, I'd continue to work. I'll like my job and I'm good at it so I wouldn't just be unemployed. Kid #1 due soon, so I'd take off a couple months and be far more flexible.

When we can travel nicely again, I'd probably do a little bit here and there. Have a lot of family abroad and we could travel comfortably with the kid to see family. Could possibly work remotely during the less pleasant months in a warmer country. Maybe reduce working hours to 25-30 a week.

Part time I'd set up a scientific foundation to fund research I feel is important too, but under appreciated/under funded.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but there was a good reddit post a few years ago about what to do if you won. Things go really badly for a lot of winners apparently. Main one is absolutely do not announce it. Every bleeding heart case and long lost friend will crawl out of the woodwork begging for money.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb38xf/

As for me, i'd do the usual. Sort out my friends and family, buy a bunch of fancy houses around the world. I think i'd also buy a struggling golf club as well, pump in a few million and get it to a seriously high quality. Build a house nearby, and just play golf every day.

Also, invest in local football clubs. Try get some quality back into Irish football from a young age.

And open a game development studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Deub

I would help family members and friends.
    Then I would start my grand plan: buy agricultural land and turn it to a natural irish forest like it existed centuries ago.
    I would make sure it becomes a nature reserve when I die with no possibility to have it back as fields.
    I won’t stop with few hectares. I will keep buying with the interests I am getting. Farmers, pray that I don’t win it !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

First, stay anonymous.

Had the conversation with my wife when it was €180m about how I'd have divvied it up then.

€10m - My parents
    €10m - Her parents
    €10m - My brother
    €10m - Her brother
    €10m - Her Sister
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 1
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 2
    €10m time released trust fund - Daughter

€10m - Charity

€20m - Joint account to live off for the rest of our lives.

€35m - For me
    €35m - For her

With the extra in this jackpot, it'd just up the amount going into our personal accounts.

Buy a nice house and make sure the kids go to good schools. Go on nice holidays, but otherwise live modestly. Wouldn't flaunt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As Del Boy said: 'spend it'
    I'd give each of my family a couple of million. Set us all up for life. Then start seeing the world and living life.

I don't get when people say they wouldn't stop working tho. Comes off as greedy. Even if you had a fraction of the 210 million, your average person is not going to be getting up early of a cold morning, trekking across rush hour traffic to interact with people who you wouldn't normally do so. Worse if your job is dealing with the public.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wouldn't stop working, i'd just stop working the job i have now. No way i'd be anything other then my own boss if i had that kind of money.

Yurt! wrote: »
    After giving this further thought, it really is f*ck off money, so I'd get creative and behave in as an eccentric way as possible.

First, I'd hire a stable of henchmen:

- An ashen-faced Japanese man with a mustache who will interpret my every word at social events into Japanese for no particular reason

- Ex-Spetsnaz Russian special forces bodyguard dressed in a white suit, who'll have a box of tic tacs on hand so my breath is minty fresh at all times. If anyone approaches me, I'll instruct him to ask me "should I put him in a sleeper hold boss?" To which I'll always say: "no Nicholai, we can trust this one. And besides, we don't want another mess like Tel Aviv on our hands."

- An attractive Cambridge-educated secretary of Jewish descent. To whom I will dictate letters to people I have met at socials, and send them a review and my thoughts of them.

"Liebe Herr Schwab, I found our conversation about ECB interest rates to be an utter bore, and your understanding of modern monetary theory to be puerile and laced with Hayekian presumptions. I would however like to meet your wife unaccompanied by you. Please send arrangements to my secretary at your earliest convenience."

- An Orthodox Rabbai, so I can consult on and debate matters of great ethical importance.

- A team of sexy female North Korean Taekwondo masters who will accompany me to Paris fashion week dressed in simple little black numbers and black berets.

- Michael Healy Rae as my PR and spokesperson.

I'd also travel via hovercraft wherever possible.

A Rabbi?

You are joking perhaps, but with 210M you definitely could hire a staff and security. Of course that goes against the anonymity part.

Hmm maybe the Irish lottery would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

God, that's more than I make in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wouldn’t resign but I would just stop working until they fire me. I would just say I can’t be bothered when asked to do anything in the lead up to getting fired. This is revenge for all the years suffering at the hands of idiots.
    Then I would go to Dubai and spend a few weeks in a top hotel eating buffets and drinking €12 bottles of Heineken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

startrek56 wrote: »
    i always wondered if you won 200m or something, how to you go about buying expensive things? for example a 100k watch, or a 1m supercar, you hardly enter your bank card and enter a pin number?

also, how much money would you be allowed to have sitting in a current account? i mean i doubt if you withdrew 100 and got a balance slip it would say 199,999,900 on it

anyone know the answer to this?? genuine question...how do the superrich do it?

walking around a dubai mall, walk into a shop, just buy a 100k watch then go down the road and pick up a 1m supercar... how does it work? is there some special type of credit card that you could have 5m on or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

First, stay anonymous.

Had the conversation with my wife when it was €180m about how I'd have divvied it up then.

€10m - My parents
    €10m - Her parents
    €10m - My brother
    €10m - Her brother
    €10m - Her Sister
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 1
    €10m time released trust fund - Son 2
    €10m time released trust fund - Daughter

€10m - Charity

€20m - Joint account to live off for the rest of our lives.

€35m - For me
    €35m - For her

With the extra in this jackpot, it'd just up the amount going into our personal accounts.

Buy a nice house and make sure the kids go to good schools. Go on nice holidays, but otherwise live modestly. Wouldn't flaunt it.

The revenue would have a field day with your grand plan....millions in tax would be paid...

No proper thinking behind this....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Deub wrote: »
    I would help family members and friends.
    Then I would start my grand plan: buy agricultural land and turn it to a natural irish forest like it existed centuries ago.
    I would make sure it becomes a nature reserve when I die with no possibility to have it back as fields.
    I won’t stop with few hectares. I will keep buying with the interests I am getting. Farmers, pray that I don’t win it !

Good luck trying to buy some land off farmers....i know i wouldnt sell it for all the money in the world...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Would take 10% and blow it out. 45% for me, 45% then for my wife. I would invest and manage this for the rest of my life and then hand over to the kids. Ll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Super yacht
    Buying a leisure boat of any size is easily one of the greatest wastes of money that anyone can embark on.

You spend more money on maintenance and mooring/storage fees than you would ever save by just renting out a private yacht whenever you fancy going sailing.

€100k to bring this bad boy out for two weeks in the Summer. Another €5k for a top-class chef/waiter.
    https://www.fraseryachts.com/en/yacht-for-charter/haze/

That's nothing when you have €200m. You could spend ten months of the year, every year on that boat, and after fifty years you'd have only spent half your money.

Or you could spend €5m buying a new boat of your own and another €1m a year on maintenance fees, regardless of how often you use it.

Advertisement