Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest Home Charger for a Leaf

Options
  • 21-02-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Been away from the whole EV deal (and Ireland) for a few years so not up to speed. Need to help family out in sorting out a home charger.

- What's the cheapest home charger that will work for a nissan leaf?

- I used to source 2nd hand units in the UK back in the day. I assume for the purposes of the SEAI grant, they'll want to see receipts and so, a 2nd hand purchase off a randomer in the UK won't work?? In case this is acceptable, how are people getting on with buying kit in the UK for delivery in Ireland in this post-brexit world? i.e. duties etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

You don't need a receipt for the SEAI grant so you can install an old used charger. However you need a safe electric approved installer to do the work and sign it off and they might not be gappy standing over a worn used unit. Also depending on the install you nay need an isolation switch and a load changeovet unit.

Cheapest is to granny charge from ordinary socket, next cheapest is used charger and grant, next is new cheap eBay charger with grant.

You need seai grant approval before any work starts and for best advice we need to know if house has heat pump or instant electric shower like triton , and if owner wants tethered or untethered and is car type 1 or 2?

Duties do apply from uk, check adverts.ie, eBay non UK, donedeal etc. Mainland Europe suppliers might be cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Been away from the whole EV deal (and Ireland) for a few years so not up to speed. Need to help family out in sorting out a home charger.

- What's the cheapest home charger that will work for a nissan leaf?

- I used to source 2nd hand units in the UK back in the day. I assume for the purposes of the SEAI grant, they'll want to see receipts and so, a 2nd hand purchase off a randomer in the UK won't work?? In case this is acceptable, how are people getting on with buying kit in the UK for delivery in Ireland in this post-brexit world? i.e. duties etc.

No receipts required.
    Current cheapest 32a/7kw charge point available new is the QUBEV unit from EVONESTOP for about €290. But you may get hit for duty on top of that now. I got one delivered for €231 at Christmas as I may have just beat the duty charges and on top of that, they removed the UK vat when selling to me. Installed in my parents now for their 530e and currently awaiting grant payment.

Other than that there’s second hand options on adverts or DoneDeal.
    I bought a 32a GARO unit on adverts recently for very cheap. You just have to be ready to jump and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

So the €600 grant gets issued regardless of whether you spend €100 or €1000 on a charger & installation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So the €600 grant gets issued regardless of whether you spend €100 or €1000 on a charger & installation?

Technically they will cover the cost of €600 but if it costs less you have to declare this and they only pay out the lower figure. But the materials alone would be €100 approx (RCBO/SWA/clips etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Is it a 24KWh Leaf? If so they should consider getting a simple outdoor 3 pin socket and just use the granny charger that's in the boot. The 3 pin would fully charge the Leaf 24 overnight and they'd save a lot of money & hassle doing this.

Advice doesn't stand for the newer 40KWh Leafs or if this is a Gen 1 with a 6.6Kw onboard charger.

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    Is it a 24KWh Leaf? If so they should consider getting a simple outdoor 3 pin socket and just use the granny charger that's in the boot. The 3 pin would fully charge the Leaf 24 overnight and they'd save a lot of money & hassle doing this.

Advice doesn't stand for the newer 40KWh Leafs or if this is a Gen 1 with a 6.6Kw onboard charger.

It's for a 24KWh Leaf and they've been using the granny cable up until now. They need to be in a position to charge more quickly on occasion. Provided the cheapest charger is sourced, then this won't cost much beyond the grant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's for a 24KWh Leaf and they've been using the granny cable up until now. They need to be in a position to charge more quickly on occasion. Provided the cheapest charger is sourced, then this won't cost much beyond the grant.

Be aware than assuming the Leaf has the standard onboard AC charger then the Granny Cable is charging at 2.3kW whereas this Leaf will only charge at 3.3kW via a dedicated Home Charge Point.

It will charge faster but not dramatically so

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Be aware than assuming the Leaf has the standard onboard AC charger then the Granny Cable is charging at 2.3kW whereas this Leaf will only charge at 3.3kW via a dedicated Home Charge Point.

It will charge faster but not dramatically so

It's a 6.6kW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, well absolutely, go for second hand charger and RECI install for the grant so, the installer will have to carry out various tests on the charge point so I can't see any issue with a used charge point once it passes these tests...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement