Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couriers to/from UK

• 04-02-2021 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Anyone have experience of shipping to the UK since Brexit with UPS, TNT, An Post or any other courier? Were there any significant delays or customs issues?

I normally use UPS but they seem to have a lot of Brexit related delays in the UK at present, at least from UK to Ireland.
    Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just contacted DPD Ireland over the phone (Barry the Bot wasn't much help online) to query how to send a parcel from a residential address in the ROI to mainland UK. Its a return for repair. They said they no longer offer that service.

An Post quoted €23 or €30 tracked. Anyone know of other options which might be better value. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just contacted DPD Ireland over the phone (Barry the Bot wasn't much help online) to query how to send a parcel from a residential address in the ROI to mainland UK. Its a return for repair. They said they no longer offer that service.

An Post quoted €23 or €30 tracked. Anyone know of other options which might be better value. Cheers.

Check the UPS calculator on their site. It's always signifcantly cheaper for me when it comes to sending packages to NL or DE so I assume the UK would be the same?

UPS Standard is the service I use. Takes around 5 days to deliver usually and they pick the package up from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Oat23 wrote: »
    Check the UPS calculator on their site. It's always signifcantly cheaper for me when it comes to sending packages to NL or DE so I assume the UK would be the same?

UPS Standard is the service I use. Takes around 5 days to deliver usually and they pick the package up from my house.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went with UPS as you suggested which ended up costing €21.79 so not much cheaper than An Post but every penny counts these days. Collection is tomorrow. They also accept items with Li-ion batteries for no extra charge which the projector being returned has built in. An Post rejected it outright when I went down to them. Thanks gain

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Johnrlalor

Anyone for a suggestion on how to get a phone returned to the UK (Amazon marketplace purchase).
    An Post told me they wont ship a phone.
    DPD & Fastway website wont allow me to generate shipping to the UK.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

you need to know how to trade with the UK. Delays are not the delivery companies. its the senders who think nothing has changed and send packages as if the UK were still in the EU and likewise people here doing the same thing.

I know I looked at continuing to deal with the UK, then looked at the paperwork and said feck that.

I think that no matter what your turnover, you have to register for UK vat and make UK vat returns on all sales to the UK. Each parcel then must have the relevant declarations and your UK vat number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

It's just semi-frequent private eBay sales, mostly for about €50 to €150 per item. I'd hardly need to be VAT registered as a private seller?

Most of my sales came from the UK but not many will probably be willing the pay import charges anyway. I might have to stick with EU sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

hey guys whats the cheapest courier or site to use to get a small parcel picked up in the uk and deliver to me here in ireland.

box is about 1kg weight and about 1 foot square.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Parcel2go.com

whiterebel wrote: »
    Parcel2go.com

there not allowing me to book it,as in when i click to get quote says not available.

• Advertisement

Not really doable at present due to brexit issues. Only real alternative is to get the person in the UK to send it to anpost addresspal and for you to take it from there.

You'll have to add vat + addresspal charges, but at least they'll do the customs entry for you

silver2020 wrote: »
    Not really doable at present due to brexit issues. Only real alternative is to get the person in the UK to send it to anpost addresspal and for you to take it from there.

You'll have to add vat + addresspal charges, but at least they'll do the customs entry for you

im not buying it from the person in the uk,the are just sending me a few satelite bits for free if i pay the shipping,so would i still be liable for tax/customs using addresspal ?.

You'll probably struggle due to all the problems with brexit. You could get it delivered to AddressPal or see if UPS can do it.

bassy wrote: »
    im not buying it from the person in the uk,the are just sending me a few satelite bits for free if i pay the shipping,so would i still be liable for tax/customs using addresspal ?.

yes. They will have to put a value on the items and you will have to pay vat on this value + the shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Am I reading these posts correctly. Are we saying there is no one who can do pick up from a UK mainland address and deliver to Ireland due to Brexit. I've just bought something on eBay UK and it was local collection or arrange your own pick up. So obviously doing the former.

I bought it full in the knowledge that I'd be potentially liable for VAT and import duties, but it's one of those things that's not easily purchased here. And before bidding ended, I read somewhere here https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html that second hand monitors may not be liable for either VAT, customs or both. Still, I went ahead and bought it. A quick quote on delivery from one of the courier websites suggested that delivery was available and it seemed reasonable too.

But now confused to see couriers may in fact not be fulfilling personal delivers from residential UK addresses to Irish ones?

I'll see what I find out when I contact a few but if anyone knows of any decent ones, that would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

I have been using to parcel2go to pick up/drop off from the uk to Ireland. They were not operating in January to get systems in place - It works very well. Got parcel dropped off on Friday, got text on Saturday with link for VAT owing and 5euro handling fee. Link to pay is straightforward, and received parcel today - DPD are back to operating how they were before Brexit, just added VAT and handling. Addresspal are worse than useless, and UPS worse again.

tiegan wrote: »
    I have been using to parcel2go to pick up/drop off from the uk to Ireland. They were not operating in January to get systems in place - It works very well. Got parcel dropped off on Friday, got text on Saturday with link for VAT owing and 5euro handling fee. Link to pay is straightforward, and received parcel today - DPD are back to operating how they were before Brexit, just added VAT and handling. Addresspal are worse than useless, and UPS worse again.

parcel2go not working for me when i put in uk to ireland with weight and box dimensions,when i click on get quote i get The service is not available between the selected locations.
    Please check that you have selected the correct collection and delivery countries.

parcel2go not working for me when i put in uk to ireland with weight and box dimensions,when i click on get quote i get The service is not available between the selected locations.
    Please check that you have selected the correct collection and delivery countries.
    How big is the parcel?

How big is the parcel?

parcel has to be picked up in wales and the only mention uk mainland and scottish highlands and islands but no sign of wales.

parcet is about 1 and a half foot long by a foot wide and 6 inches high.

parcel has to be picked up in wales and the only mention uk mainland and scottish highlands and islands but no sign of wales.

parcet is about 1 and a half foot long by a foot wide and 6 inches high.
    I just tried to book a parcel from Wales with the probs - I just used UK mainland and then used the collection address as Wales and no probs.

• Advertisement

I just tried to book a parcel from Wales with the probs - I just used UK mainland and then used the collection address as Wales and no probs.

on parcel2go ?

on parcel2go ?

Yes

Yes

Ok will try again thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Im was also having the same issue on parcel2go when i select UK mainland to ireland. When i reduced the size of the parcel it worked fine.

What was the custom fees like with parcel2go? Did they open the item and use its value to determine custom fees or did they request a receipt or something?

grimeire wrote: »
    Im was also having the same issue on parcel2go when i select UK mainland to ireland. When i reduced the size of the parcel it worked fine.

What was the custom fees like with parcel2go? Did they open the item and use its value to determine custom fees or did they request a receipt or something?

I use parcel2go - I always select DPD as drop off or collection. They have a very simple process. Once DPD has received parcel they send you a text with a link to pay. When you book DPD they ask for the value of the parcel - so they charge you VAT and their handling fee of 5 euro. I don't want to say the wrong thing here, but I am a bit "shy" with stating the actual price, and so far they have not opened one box, and took my valuation at my word. UPS are a disaster, addresspal worse. I have found this method to work very well for the last two months. Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

I use parcel2go

Thank you. will definitely try them the next time.

Out of curiosity have you used this on ebay, I used to buy most things from ebay and I am wondering were most of the sellers Ok with you using your own courier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

What is the cheapest way to send a parcel to the UK these days? I used to use parcel motel in the past but sending a parcel to UK is no longer an option - it's Ireland only in the send menu. I have Addresspal but I think that is just for receiving parcels. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I have to return an item to an ebay seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭con747

Danick wrote: »
    What is the cheapest way to send a parcel to the UK these days? I used to use parcel motel in the past but sending a parcel to UK is no longer an option - it's Ireland only in the send menu. I have Addresspal but I think that is just for receiving parcels. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I have to return an item to an ebay seller.

https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ Used them before and found them ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

con747 wrote: »
    https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ Used them before and found them ok.

Tried them recently for a 5kg parcel to UK (50x40x30)..

Approx €25 IIRC..

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭con747

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Tried them recently for a 5kg parcel to UK (50x40x30)..

Approx €25 IIRC..

:eek::eek:

So who did you use? post the name if it was cheaper so the OP know's.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement