Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What size of football

• 22-02-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

What size of football should I buy for my 4 year old to practice some drills in the garden? He was in a training group last year with our local club for Nusery/P1 ages (in the north) but I don't know which balls they were using. Didn't expect to see so many types in the online shops - Size 4, Size 5, Quick Touch, First Touch, Smart Touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Oh, didn't realise the different touches have different sizes within them. What's the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

KayJay86 wrote: »
    Oh, didn't realise the different touches have different sizes within them. What's the difference?

actually go with the quick touch.... for a 4 year old they wont see any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Am involved with the nursery group in my own club - kids as young as 3, and no older than 7. My advice would be to go for a size 4 ball, something like this:
    https://www.thegaastore.com/en/Mc-Keever-Go-First-Touch-Gaelic-Football/m-1143.aspx

That's not the exact brand we use ourselves, but close enough to it. And for what it's worth, have bought other stuff myself from that site a few times, and was always happy with it.

Thanks folks, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

As far as I remember,
    U16 upwards: Size 5
    U14: Size 4
    U12: Smart Touch
    U10: Quick Touch
    U8 and lower: First Touch

As you move from First Touch to Size 5, the ball gets progressively bigger, heavier and harder. Don't buy a ball that's meant for an older age group because the kid won't get their kicking or catching techniques correct. Every kids wants to show you how far they can kick: if the ball is too heavy or too big, they won't get it very far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

First touch and quick touch are smaller and lighter than the size 4 so bear that in mind. My eldest lad is using the size four at U13 but the 8 year old finds it too heavy! It's a couple of years since we bought the first touch but it was only €10 or a bit under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have to admit I always considered a First Touch ball to be a Size 4. Maybe it's actually a bit smaller. Either way, First Touch is the thing to go for.

Got it ordered. Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Have to admit I always considered a First Touch ball to be a Size 4. Maybe it's actually a bit smaller. Either way, First Touch is the thing to go for.

Yeah there isn't much in but it is lighter too.

Advertisement