Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Same as this. We had a smaller one before that required flipping the whole thing over.

It's a bit of a faff, but not that big a deal. It's also got the "cool zone" feature so any stray panko crumbs sink to the bottom where they don't burn in the oil below the element.

yeah thats what I want to avoid when I get one. Flipping it over to drain oil into some container to dispose of it could easily end up in a mess.

Thats a handy feature with the crumbs sinking to the bottom, must look out for that.

Does your one have temperature settings at 170/190c? I think that covers most fried foods, I dont think Ive ever seen something like 230c being called for but maybe some foods need hotter than 190c?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭con747

I use a deep fat fryer like this one https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/logik-l30pfs12-professional-deep-fryer-stainless-steel-12002409-pdt.html and use it once or twice a week, I empty the oil and clean it every 3 months. It takes about 25 minutes in total to clean it and the old oil is poured into a 20 litre container to be dropped at the recycling centre when it's full. You just can't beat the crispness of deep frying certain things.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mine goes to 190. I don't think I'd fancy heating a vegetable oil much higher than that, or you're heading towards smoke points. I fry most things at 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Another option 2 litre or 3.5 litre Tefal Oleoclean (although i wouldn't pay those prices)

I got the 2l one a few years back for £60, it drains the oil through a sieve into a container as soon as its cool, no faffing with the oil or smell, can clean out the detritus after every cook so not tainting the oil.

You are definitely paying for the drainer, that logik one above looks as good quality, and a fraction of the cost but for me i'd buy the tefal again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would never go back to a 'normal' type after getting an Oleoclean on offer.

I generally have a low opinion of Tefal kit; but this does what its meant to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

L1011 wrote: »
    Would never go back to a 'normal' type after getting an Oleoclean on offer.

I generally have a low opinion of Tefal kit; but this does what its meant to.

What did you pay for it? I’ve been mulling over buying one for quite a few weeks now and the prices are variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Another option 2 litre or 3.5 litre Tefal Oleoclean (although i wouldn't pay those prices).
    Lidl and/or Aldi had a knock off version of the oleoclean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Faith wrote: »
    What did you pay for it? I’ve been mulling over buying one for quite a few weeks now and the prices are variable.

79, I think. Was a Black Friday offer in 2019, and much as I hate that entire concept I was actually out working in Blanchardstown that day.

L1011 wrote: »
    79, I think. Was a Black Friday offer in 2019, and much as I hate that entire concept I was actually out working in Blanchardstown that day.

Cheers, was that the 2L or 3.5L?

2L. Only two of us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I bought some Koka noodles at the weekend. I don't think I've had any in about 20 years. Time flies. :o I used to put them on the shelf in Dunnes, as staff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There are some decent enough instant noodles available these days, with little sachets of condiments and flavourings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Any tips for savoury pancakes?

I like to fry up some mushrooms in butter and garlic, add spinach, a beef Oxo cube, fresh cream and black pepper, and stuff this mixture into crepes. It's crazy delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭con747

Any tips for savoury pancakes?

I like to fry up some mushrooms in butter and garlic, add spinach, a beef Oxo cube, fresh cream and black pepper, and stuff this mixture into crepes. It's crazy delicious.

I posted this on another thread looking for the same! I never used this recipe but have made Cannelloni with pancakes before and love it.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pancake-cannelloni

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Ive read reviews and watched a couple of Youtube vids and the Tefal Oleoclean seems the one for me as it has a great way of storing and filtering the oil plus it ticks the box of having an odour filter in the lid which none of the cheap ones do. I think the oil filtering feature is very good as I remember deep fat fryers of the 80s where there would be black specks in the oil which would then transfer to your food, not nice.

Anyway I tracked the smaller compact 2L one on Amazon using the Keepa extension. Its lowest ever price has been £62.99 so when it goes below £65 I'll get an email alert and buy it then. The 3.5L one is currently £112.99 but it has been at £79.99 twice already this year. Id say it is due a drop back down to that price in the next 2-4 weeks or so going by the trend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm pretty sure there was a bit of a chat about dumplings here in the last week, anyway, who should i hear advertised on the radio only double 8 dumplings and yes dublin and cork are the same crowd. Don't know if that helps anyone..

I'm pretty sure there was a bit of a chat about dumplings here in the last week, anyway, who should i hear advertised on the radio only double 8 dumplings and yes dublin and cork are the same crowd. Don't know if that helps anyone..

I heard that too, funnily enough.

I also picked up some frozen chicken gyoza in Supervalu last week. 9 to a box. Flavourwise, they were pretty good. Good crispy wrapping. They were a bit dry inside, but I think that's always the way with chicken filling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I heard that too, funnily enough.

I also picked up some frozen chicken gyoza in Supervalu last week. 9 to a box. Flavourwise, they were pretty good. Good crispy wrapping. They were a bit dry inside, but I think that's always the way with chicken filling.

Good tip! I didn't know you could get them in SV. I've not been able to find them in the supermarkets.

Good tip! I didn't know you could get them in SV. I've not been able to find them in the supermarkets.

It's these lads, FYI: https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/frozen-foods-takeaway-chicken-supervalu-gyoza-9-pack-180-g-/p-1700425000

5099839676727_3.JPG

I used occasionally find fresh and frozen gyoza in both Tesco & M&S in the UK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

For anyone in Cork, there's a new supermarket on Vicars Road with a small but well-stocked Asian food section. Really good frozen dumplings, large bags of rice, an insane range of noodles and good curry pastes and sauces. Bit of an odd place but it's handy, I used to get those things in Mr Bells but the opening hours in this place are longer. It's called the Junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ive read reviews and watched a couple of Youtube vids and the Tefal Oleoclean seems the one for me as it has a great way of storing and filtering the oil plus it ticks the box of having an odour filter in the lid which none of the cheap ones do. I think the oil filtering feature is very good as I remember deep fat fryers of the 80s where there would be black specks in the oil which would then transfer to your food, not nice.

I thought they were the tasty bits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I've made dumplings, both from scratch scratch and with shop-bought wrappers. Either way, it is frankly not worth the effort*, IMO, when you can buy bags of excellent frozen ones. I'd only make them again if I couldn't get frozen ones.

*I'm speaking as someone who f*cking LOVES dumplings and would happily eat my own weight in them day in, day out.

We made dumplings when I was a child in Lancashire and no wrappers, whatever they are?

Ah just found web recipes for Lancashire beef stew with dumplings! Ours were very simple. no herbs etc. Lovely food! Nothing Oriental!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah suet dumplings and asian dumplings are nothing alike. I think if i served up my dad asian dumplings and him expecting suet ones he'd throw them at me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

After my recent ramblings on salsa, I decided to purchase a chopper.

I missed the choppers in Lidl, so got this instead. I'm super excited!

IMG-20210218-174338.jpg

It even has a picture of salsa on the box. Should be great for chopping up ingredients for mirepoix too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No kitchen is complete without one of those. It would be a strange week in our house if we didn't use ours.

Such a first world problem, but I find it so frustrating that you can’t book grocery deliveries until about a week after the date of ordering, and by the time they’re delivered, half the items you’ve ordered are out of stock :rolleyes:

Anyone know if any of the main supermarkets have started selling njuda salami yet? Looked in Dunnes but no joy there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the main supermarkets have started selling njuda salami yet? Looked in Dunnes but no joy there

I got some in Nolans in Clontarf last week. It wasn't labeled njuda salami but something similar. It was really spicy and more like a pate than a salami but it did the trick. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Such a first world problem, but I find it so frustrating that you can’t book grocery deliveries until about a week after the date of ordering, and by the time they’re delivered, half the items you’ve ordered are out of stock :rolleyes:

Someone posted here recently that he books his slot well in advance, adding just one or two items to the list. Then he goes back in a few days before the delivery date and makes a full list. He said he does this constantly, working a week or two in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Someone posted here recently that he books his slot well in advance, adding just one or two items to the list. Then he goes back in a few days before the delivery date and makes a full list. He said he does this constantly, working a week or two in advance.

Yep this is what I do with my Tesco delivieries, throw in a few things to make up the minimum order when we book, then update the order the night before the delivery. It's the only way to do it.

Advertisement