Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email scam

Options
  • 19-02-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Receiving emails from Rob&#39@ different addresses for some time now and can't stop them. The body of the mail is a single url and nothing else. I haven't opened the link for fear of downloading a Trojan horse or similar virus. Has anybody received these and how have you resolved it.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Don't open links in emails from accounts you don't trust.

Your email provider should allow you to block emails from this sender, and future emails from them will instead go into your junk mail folder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

You should be able to set up filters so that the likes of that goes direct to your bin or to spam.

As has been said, most importantly, don't ever click on any links in emails that you do not trust / know the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

You should be able to set up filters so that the likes of that goes direct to your bin or to spam.

As has been said, most importantly, don't ever click on any links in emails that you do not trust / know the source.

Yes, but he changes his email address each time. So if you block the current one, another from the same guy with a different address appears. Block that and another appears. His name remains the same; it's the @ part that changes. Thanks for your reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm astonished at the lack of spam emails since the Pandemic started, on average I'd receive 2 a day into Gmail spam folder, weeks and indeed full months have gone by without spam. I doubt it's anything Google have done, more likely spamers have up during the heights of the Pandemic.

Of course the absurd SMS scams continued, the AIB one Hillarious given I've never had an account their to magically log into to change passwords etc :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, but he changes his email address each time. So if you block the current one, another from the same guy with a different address appears. Block that and another appears. His name remains the same; it's the @ part that changes. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Can you create a filter that blocks just the name?

So anything with the name, Rob, irrespective of the email address used, is automatically thrown into spam/ bin?
    Or by use of words in the subject line, if the same ones are always used.

I know that was possible on eircom email for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Can you create a filter that blocks just the name?

So anything with the name, Rob, irrespective of the email address used, is automatically thrown into spam/ bin?
    Or by use of words in the subject line, if the same ones are always used.

I know that was possible on eircom email for example.
    Thanks, I'll try that and update if and when this happens again. I'll keep an eye on the spam folder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Receiving emails from Rob&#39@ different addresses for some time now and can't stop them. The body of the mail is a single url and nothing else. I haven't opened the link for fear of downloading a Trojan horse or similar virus. Has anybody received these and how have you resolved it.

Some spam filters will allow you to block the IP address. You might have to pay a bit more but I'd imagine you'd be happier with it than without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm astonished at the lack of spam emails since the Pandemic started, on average I'd receive 2 a day into Gmail spam folder, weeks and indeed full months have gone by without spam. I doubt it's anything Google have done, more likely spamers have up during the heights of the Pandemic.

Of course the absurd SMS scams continued, the AIB one Hillarious given I've never had an account their to magically log into to change passwords etc :)

Have gotten a few of the missed calls from places like Tunisia, Chad I think, and other places I dont know anyone, one was just last week, but not another in ages. If someone I know ends up stuck out in one of these places and ring me looking for help, they are out of luck, as I dont answer numbers from places Im not expecting calls from, when the call ends, I just block the number.
    I think the MO is they ring you with a missed call and they rely on you calling them back, then you get bilked from this somehow, call charges or such.
    I did get billed for some service I did not use once, I think it was a text and I opted to not be contacted again, thinking it was legit, and I got hit with some charge, but rang my service provider and managed to block that somehow.

no texts, that I can think of, although I should cross my fingers for tempting things like that.

Advertisement