Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

not quite the full story is it? Candy had an affair with Bettys husband. Betty confronted her about it and apparently attacked Candy with the same axe used to kill Betty.

Exactly,it was a little bit more complicated than getting shushed .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,600 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Area 51. Does it really exist, Is there really aliens there? I want to know.

MH370 What really happened to it and all the people on it?

Emile Aerheart. What happened to her. Was she abducted by aliens because we have some of theres in Area 51 and was she a part of the 37s on that planet in the Delta Quadrant?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The death of Dorothy kilgallen seems to have a bit of mystery around it. For those not familiar with who she was, she was a panellist on what’s my line in the US for years(a very funny show actually that’s on YouTube) She had written about the Kennedy assassination which some think is linked to her death and not the official cause of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

AMKC wrote: »
    Area 51. Does it really exist, Is there really aliens there? I want to know.

MH370 What really happened to it and all the people on it?

Emile Aerheart. What happened to her. Was she abducted by aliens because we have some of theres in Area 51 and was she a part of the 37s on that planet in the Delta Quadrant?

yes its exists 100% and so does S4 where Bob Lazar said he worked, you can even see it on google maps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

AMKC wrote: »
    Area 51. Does it really exist,

Yes it really exists.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Area+51,+NV,+USA/@37.2420269,-115.8158473,9704m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80b81baaba3e8c81:0x970427e38e6237ae!8m2!3d37.2430548!4d-115.7930198?hl=en
    Is there really aliens there? I want to know.

No, there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

bangkok wrote: »
    how do you know this exactly?

Because no one has offered proof. Aside from the usual history channelesque claims where people make a claim and the burden of proof is on someone else to disprove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The Charles Self case was previously mentioned in here (can't remember specific posts/pages apologies).

It features on Dublin Live today > https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/close-pal-dublin-man-killed-19787613?fbclid=IwAR3S51RZBvpDUblYDUQxpv2dczeS26IPTa-wNMgmo5jqCXmTPo8x9AAL6Xg

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The Charles Self case was previously mentioned in here (can't remember specific posts/pages apologies).

It features on Dublin Live today > https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/close-pal-dublin-man-killed-19787613?fbclid=IwAR3S51RZBvpDUblYDUQxpv2dczeS26IPTa-wNMgmo5jqCXmTPo8x9AAL6Xg

I think I might have posted that somewhere on here...bizzare case and never hear much about it

Iirc the mans who hired him to rte went missing in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

My new Fav mystery at the moment is Covid19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,699 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

not quite the full story is it? Candy had an affair with Bettys husband. Betty confronted her about it and apparently attacked Candy with the same axe used to kill Betty.

Attacked Candy with axe,,,, but not a scratch on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lola40

Trevor Deely’s disappearance. He was just a year older than me and I remember his posters everywhere around town so well. I wish to God that someone would come forward with information so the family can move on. Also fascinated by the murder of Sophie Toscan De Plantier, don’t think Bailey is the killer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Attacked Candy with axe,,,, but not a scratch on her?

She had a deep cut on her toe that others had seen on the day of the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Steve012 wrote: »
    My new Fav mystery at the moment is Covid19

What's the mystery?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,699 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She had a deep cut on her toe that others had seen on the day of the murder.

Lol, That's what happens when you swing and axe and miss, you hit your own foot.

Lol, That's what happens when you swing and axe and miss, you hit your own foot.

JFC, Candy had the cut on her toe. read the story yourself. https://soapboxie.com/government/Betty-Gore-Candy-Montgomery

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Lola40 wrote: »
    Trevor Deely’s disappearance. He was just a year older than me and I remember his posters everywhere around town so well. I wish to God that someone would come forward with information so the family can move on. Also fascinated by the murder of Sophie Toscan De Plantier, don’t think Bailey is the killer

It was a guard, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I supposed this is an unsolved mystery in a couple of ways, and it’s how the hell was OJ found not guilty in 1995 of the murder of his wife and her friend. During the initial lockdown last year I started reading the trial transcripts and watched the trial(which most of it is on YouTube) as it was broadcast and of course the defence proved beyond reasonable doubt he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I supposed this is an unsolved mystery in a couple of ways, and it’s how the hell was OJ found not guilty in 1995 of the murder of his wife and her friend. During the initial lockdown last year I started reading the trial transcripts and watched the trial(which most of it is on YouTube) as it was broadcast and of course the defence proved beyond reasonable doubt he did it.

Well, no they didn’t. If the prosecution had done that, he would have been convicted. Jury members said that they did not believe that the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. The defense succeeded in planting enough doubt in their mind. That’s why he was acquitted.

I personally think the defense team completely lacked honour and dignity with some of the stunts they pulled. But, it worked. They did their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Well, no they didn’t. If the prosecution had done that, he would have been convicted. Jury members said that they did not believe that the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. The defense succeeded in planting enough doubt in their mind. That’s why he was acquitted.

I personally think the defense team completely lacked honour and dignity with some of the stunts they pulled. But, it worked. They did their job.

The prosecution made an absolute bags of what was a clear cut case.

They let Cochran dictate the narrative instead of sticking to evidence. The whole thing was best summed up with the glove episode. Cochran managed to swing the jury with a simple rhyme and OJ not trying very hard to get his hand into a glove.

The prosecution had to convince a jury which was unfamiliar with the reliability of DNA profiling about its precision and reliability. They failed.
    Instead, they let Cochran plant doubt with Trumpesque theories on police tampering and lost samples of "the real killer" even when 2 of the defences own DNA experts refused to go along with it.
    The narrative should have been about DNA with a line of experts hammering that home in excruciating detail. They needed to take the celebrity and mystique out of OJ and make the jury see him as a sociopath who killed his ex-wife, who he beat during their marriage, and her boyfriend out of spite and jealousy.
    Instead they made him an even bigger celebrity and the whole case became about a pair of gloves and police racism.

Tldr; the whole thing was a circus from start to finish and the prosecution were just as culpable in that as Cochran and the rest of the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For fans of the Dyatlov mystery. Science has had some breakthroughs. Less mysterious as a result.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/has-science-solved-history-greatest-adventure-mystery-dyatlov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

auspicious wrote: »
    Why a mystery is classified as unsolved.

Well mysteries are a social phenomenon, solved mysteries are a historical event that was valid as being unexplained at the time, so it’s not such a mystery that a mystery could be classed as solved when viewed through the lens of history!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

At least one or maybe more black jurors admitted later that they thought he was probably guilty but the the verdict was seen as payback for the acquittal of the cops in the Rodney King beating.

The prosecution made an absolute bags of what was a clear cut case.

They let Cochran dictate the narrative instead of sticking to evidence. The whole thing was best summed up with the glove episode. Cochran managed to swing the jury with a simple rhyme and OJ not trying very hard to get his hand into a glove.

The prosecution had to convince a jury which was unfamiliar with the reliability of DNA profiling about its precision and reliability. They failed.
    Instead, they let Cochran plant doubt with Trumpesque theories on police tampering and lost samples of "the real killer" even when 2 of the defences own DNA experts refused to go along with it.
    The narrative should have been about DNA with a line of experts hammering that home in excruciating detail. They needed to take the celebrity and mystique out of OJ and make the jury see him as a sociopath who killed his ex-wife, who he beat during their marriage, and her boyfriend out of spite and jealousy.
    Instead they made him an even bigger celebrity and the whole case became about a pair of gloves and police racism.

Tldr; the whole thing was a circus from start to finish and the prosecution were just as culpable in that as Cochran and the rest of the defence.

I totally agree. It became a circus. This was a case with a huge amount of physical evidence and the prosecution still fucked it up. And the prosecution was buggered the moment it came to light that one of the cops on the scene was racist. It had the square root of fuck all to do with the OJ case but the defense zeroed in on it. They knew it was invaluable to them.

And, even though I like her, IMO Marcia Clark could at times be a bit patronising towards the black female jurors. In ‘OJ: Made In America’ she spoke about how she thought she knew how to talk to them. Like as if they were a different species or something, like she was the Black Woman Whisperer or something. I think some of the jurors would have picked up on that.

And then there’s not much you can do with a juror who, twenty years on, still comes out with stuff like “I lose respect for any woman who'd take an ass whooping when she don't have to.” My jaw dropped when that juror said that in the documentary. What a cunt.

One small point though - Ron Goldman wasn’t Nicole’s boyfriend. There’s no indication that they were dating even casually.

At least one or maybe more black jurors admitted later that they thought he was probably guilty but the the verdict was seen as payback for the acquittal of the cops in the Rodney King beating.

But even there, they are expressing doubt.

you don't convict somebody of murder because you think they are probably guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

It was a guard, wasn't it?

Was it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

you don't convict somebody of murder because you think they are probably guilty.

The three assumptions the prosecution made about the jury were:
    1. They would listen during the testimony
    2. They would understand the testimony
    3. They would consider the testimony in rendering their verdict.

None of these happened.

Instead the jury were driven by preconceived notions and heavily influenced by the media circus going on. There was also the fact they probably fancied themselves as celebrities for being on the jury of the "trial of the century".

The three assumptions the prosecution made about the jury were:
    1. They would listen during the testimony
    2. They would understand the testimony
    3. They would consider the testimony in rendering their verdict.

None of these happened.

Instead the jury were driven by preconceived notions and heavily influenced by the media circus going on. There was also the fact they probably fancied themselves as celebrities for being on the jury of the "trial of the century".

But in their defence, they also just wanted to get home. How long was that trial? Seven months? Some of the jurors described for the documentary their living conditions during the trial. Months and months stuck in a hotel room. They weren’t allowed to contact their loved ones. They had no televisions in their rooms. They were thoroughly fed up by the time deliberations arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I would really love if Genghis Khan's tomb could be found. I have some suspicions that descendents of his still maintain the location of his resting place. The reason for this is shamanism is still practised in parts of Mongolia and he would be revered as part of this. That is my theory anyways.

Advertisement