Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Viewings

Options
  • 20-02-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Are we looking good to be allowed view properties on Match 5th or will it be longer now? Have any of you heard from EAs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are we looking good to be allowed view properties on Match 5th or will it be longer now? Have any of you heard from EAs

If level 5 is extended by 9 weeks as is widely rumoured then add 9 weeks. The only change likely to be made is the gradual opening of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No viewings until May is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Can't see viewings being allowed until May, maybe a little sooner if numbers drop significantly. They seem to have formed a pattern of drip feeding information & hinting at whats coming to prepare the public I presume.

I think its going to cause chaos for the summer with buyers scrambling to get their hands on anything they can afford. I've registered interest in viewing one house & I'm hoping sellers will just say screw it & put properties on the market to generate interest in the hope of a quick sale once viewings are allowed. Government seem to be doing anything they can to cause mayhem in the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

EA here. I’ve copied below the current agreed joint protocol between psra scsi & ipav. This will only be reviewed when govt changes current level of restrictions. That said I’ve heard of some agents going against the agreed protocol.

Viewings by the public permitted of properties by appointment only where:
    1. The property has gone sale agreed and contracts for sale drafted
    In these circumstances:
     Viewings by one party of two people from the same
    household is only permitted and;
     Properties must be unoccupied at the time of appointment.

EA here. I’ve copied below the current agreed joint protocol between psra scsi & ipav. This will only be reviewed when govt changes current level of restrictions. That said I’ve heard of some agents going against the agreed protocol.

In these circumstances:

If someone buys a property based on a virtual tour are engineer surveys allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

In these circumstances:

So really looking at the market being shut for the 1st half of year . Crazy

If someone buys a property based on a virtual tour are engineer surveys allowed?

Surveyor would be coming in after sale agreed anyway so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

In these circumstances:

The 2 people from the same household rule is freaking me out. My fiance and I (and I'm sure many other couples are in the same boat) are living in separate households. So one of us won't be able to view a house that we have both forked out thousands of euro to have the privilege of getting a closer look at a property before making the biggest purchase of our lives? :(

The 2 people from the same household rule is freaking me out. My fiance and I (and I'm sure many other couples are in the same boat) are living in separate households. So one of us won't be able to view a house that we have both forked out thousands of euro to have the privilege of getting a closer look at a property before making the biggest purchase of our lives? :(

They won't ask for proof

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I viewed a house this morning. Pretty sure the EA was breaking the rules, as 90% of EAs have told me viewings are banned, even for vacant properties.

I no longer care. The house I viewed today was vacant, I didn’t touch anything and I didn’t go near the EA. It’s madness forbidding viewings of vacant properties. People are going crazy with not being allowed to move forward with their lives and buy somewhere, as if it wasn’t already hard enough.

Agree that you can’t force tenants to facilitate viewings during a pandemic, nor should you, but this blanket ban on all viewings is just needlessly cruel, at this stage.

People need to feel like they are being given the opportunity somehow to make some progress with their lives. A year this sh*t has been going on now.

• Advertisement

Would any of you be prepared to buy based on a virtual tour?

No and anyone that does is crazy.
    Even people going sale agreed on houses they have never stepped foot inside is madness!
    There's a lot of hysteria in the market at the moment, I wouldn't be buying into it. It's only a few more weeks.............

bubblypop wrote: »
    Even people going sale agreed on houses they have never stepped foot inside is madness!
    There's a lot of hysteria in the market at the moment, I wouldn't be buying into it. It's only a few more weeks.............

It’s at least another 2 months to see it, then price negotiations and the particular house needs a little bit of work done so if we wait until may your potentially looking at September to move in. Assuming 10/12 weeks for the legal stuff

It’s at least another 2 months to see it, then price negotiations and the particular house needs a little bit of work done so if we wait until may your potentially looking at September to move in. Assuming 10/12 weeks for the legal stuff

Let's not forget the house you try buy the vendors may not have their place yet . And could eventually go sale agreed to a vendor who hasn't gone sale agreed on their own property

Let's not forget the house you try buy the vendors may not have their place yet . And could eventually go sale agreed to a vendor who hasn't gone sale agreed on their own property

We’re not waiting on a house to sell on our side though

We’re not waiting on a house to sell on our side though

Neither am I . But the vendor of the house I'm buying needs to find somewhere . And when she does it might be from a vendor who also needs to find somewhere before selling to her

September is only 6 or 7 months away. That's not long in the whole buying houses timeframes!
    To be honest I wouldn't expect to be moving in anywhere sooner than that, unless it's a new build ready to go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Shelga wrote: »
    I viewed a house this morning. Pretty sure the EA was breaking the rules, as 90% of EAs have told me viewings are banned, even for vacant properties.

I no longer care. The house I viewed today was vacant, I didn’t touch anything and I didn’t go near the EA. It’s madness forbidding viewings of vacant properties. People are going crazy with not being allowed to move forward with their lives and buy somewhere, as if it wasn’t already hard enough.

Agree that you can’t force tenants to facilitate viewings during a pandemic, nor should you, but this blanket ban on all viewings is just needlessly cruel, at this stage.

People need to feel like they are being given the opportunity somehow to make some progress with their lives. A year this sh*t has been going on now.

You have it so tough,, I don't know how you can face each day. You're so brave.

September is only 6 or 7 months away. That's not long in the whole buying houses timeframes!
    To be honest I wouldn't expect to be moving in anywhere sooner than that, unless it's a new build ready to go soon.

No it’s about 30 years old. Just would be good to move in during the long summer days

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

September seems like an eternity to me as we've been looking fot 14 months so far. Not a whole pile we can do about it though! I think September is a best case scenario. I've resigned myself to the fact that we probably won't have moved into the house we haven't found yet until next year. I'm taking a prepare for the worst & anything better is a bonus approach!

• Advertisement

I have one in mind but I need to make some changes for someone with reduced mobility, things like changing a bath to a shower and raising up a split level room so there’s no step before I move in. So I reckon between the legal bits and those renovations were looking at September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You have it so tough,, I don't know how you can face each day. You're so brave.

Does it make you proud to be such a dickhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,306 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes I’m bidding on a house at the moment. I’ve lived in the estate. I know the houses built in mid 80s. Straight forward.

If we go sale agreed. It’ll be subject to survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

ted1 wrote: »
    Yes I’m bidding on a house at the moment. I’ve lived in the estate. I know the houses built in mid 80s. Straight forward.

If we go sale agreed. It’ll be subject to survey.

Similar. We are bidding on house my partner s cousin lives so we have good idea of estate however any further would be surveyor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Not trying to be snippy, but is that really any different than buying off plans for a new build, based on a 3d render in a glossy brochure? I mean, at least when buying a second hand home based off a virtual tour you are looking at the finished physical building.

You also would not be buying solely off the virtual tour, e.g. you can at least try and figure out what the neighbourhood you're buying in to is like, if there is a history of any structural or social issues in the estate etc.

Obviously, being able to actually see the house before going sale agreed would be ideal, but as discussed that's not going to happen until (at least) May. If you can afford to wait, or have not been looking very long, I would wait. However I do have sympathy for those who have already been looking for some time or for those whose dream home has now come on the market. You cannot be certain that that home will still be there come May / June / whenever.

Lastly, as has been mentioned on other threads here, you are not actually locked in to anything at the sale agreed stage. If the engineer or the solicitor find anything amiss you can still pull out and have your booking deposit returned to you, although I would regard doing that without a very strong intent to actually buy the home as (at best) poor form.

Does it make you proud to be such a dickhead?

And a personaility to match your capricious nature. You're a real joy. God forbid you ever have any real hardship, you'd implode.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    And a personaility to match your capricious nature. You're a real joy. God forbid you ever have any real hardship, you'd implode.

I’ve already reported your previous post. No doubt people are experiencing worse hardships than some one trying to buy a house but this is a property forum. I don’t think your comments have any value to ad.

I’m looking to buy, I have difficulty even thinking of bidding without viewing in person. One property I’m interested in they put up photos few days ago. I’ve just emailed them proof of funds and they respond immediately to say current bid is 15% over asking. Crazy.

I’ve already reported your previous post. No doubt people are experiencing worse hardships than some one trying to buy a house but this is a property forum. I don’t think your comments have any value to ad.

Report away, I was just trying to give some perspective on the matter but you go make it your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Wish I could get a viewing. There are 3 vacant houses that I would love to go see. I do understand the ban, but when it comes to vacant properties it seems a shame not to continue viewings and to let them sit there.

Completely agree, it feels cruel, I know we're in a really fortunate position to be able to buy a house but to get here we've put our lives on hold to save and get to this position, then COVID and now we're stuck saving and paying high rents to ensure when we reapply for approval there is no issue.

I just want to be given the chance to buy a home and hopefully start a family. Just feels like there's no light at the end of the tunnel and all the hard work was for nothing.

Advertisement