Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway stopover for sailing race in 2022

Options

Comments

Hopefully we'll be able to make a bit of a party out of it.

With all the whining that went on for the Volvo and most recently the City of Culture, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With all the whining that went on for the Volvo and most recently the City of Culture, I doubt it.

Whining? You mean like artists and small business people expecting to get paid for the work they did?

Kind of ironic that it's a 10th anniversary event ....

You mean like artists and small business people expecting to get paid for the work they did?

No, I don't mean that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The 2009 volvo galway event was a bit of a disaster tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hopefully Covid will be somewhat under control by then.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    The 2009 volvo galway event was a bit of a disaster tbh

That's not how I remember it

https://youtu.be/0OuVBxwMWU0

Thankfully we don't have to rely on dodgy memories as a detailed analysis was done on the last VOR due to the amount of whining that went on.
    How much was the Volvo Ocean Race (VOR) finale worth? €60.5 million

How many people attended the events? Over 500,000

How many of those were international visits? 100,800

How much did they spend? On average €87 each a day

How much did Irish people spend? On average €69 each a day

But how much was spent by local organisers / the city? €7.6 million

Did everyone enjoy it? 97% of race attendees rated their experience as positive or very positive

What about local businesses? Yes, but a quarter found that their business was negatively affected by the Race.

Why? Displacement. Most of the positive economic benefit was located in the areas surrounding the event and particularly by the hospitality industries (food, accommodation and public houses).

What else did the VOR do for Galway? Increased jobs, 21% of businesses either increased the amount of shifts or hired new employees for the event.

What did people like most about the event? 45% of those surveyed on the street cited the atmosphere, 17% cited community spirit.

What did people say they liked least? Weather and traffic

Positive Impacts? Increased spend in the local economy, very positive image of Galway cast nationally and internationally. Morale boost for the city.

Negative Impacts? Uneven spread of economic boost, some negative feelings regarding the fiscal health of the organisers.

You can find much more information, like the points above, in the "Volvo Ocean Race 2012" An Economic Impact Assessment Report" compiled by the J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics and the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway on behalf of Let’s Do It Global.

http://whitakerinstitute.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Volvo-Ocean-Race-Economic-Impact-Assessment-Report-Final-1.pdf

Looking forward to it!

The first VOR was an amazing event, some buzz the night the boats arrived. The second was good too just a bit more subdued.

Pity they can't find a way to spread the rewards a bit... big pay day for the pubs, hotels and restaurants while local businesses providing directly for the event were left out of pocket.
    "Volvo Ocean Race 2012" An Economic Impact Assessment Report" compiled by the J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics and the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway on behalf of Let’s Do It Global.

I'd take any research that evaluates an organisation's performance with a pinch of salt if it's funded by the same organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t think this is event will be comparable to the Volvo Race. This race is smaller boats of amateur ( as in non-paid) boat owners with small enough crews. It will ha e a feel good factor down the dock I’d imagine, but I wouldn’t expect it to bring in huge tourist no’s or crowds, or have big stage entertainment like VOR had.

I'd take any research that evaluates an organisation's performance with a pinch of salt if it's funded by the same organisation.

See the problem with that train of thought it it doesn't factor in the reputational damage such actions would have on the likes of the Whitaker Institute if they skewed the numbers.

They have a hefty international reputation to maintain. Any researcher working for Whitaker who wants to get published would run a mile from that institute if there was a hint of what you are suggesting. In academia, the mantra, publish or die holds true. You don't get published if you or your facility is not trusted as journals have to protect their reputations too.
    At the Whitaker Institute, we undertake cutting edge research, publish peer review journal articles, books, book chapters, case studies and policy reports and well as hosting a range of dissemination events. We also contribute policy insights through commissioned reports, working papers and participation in policy and practice debates nationally and internationally.

If there is an alternative analysis completed I'll happily take a look at it and compare, the more sources the better

ratracer wrote: »
    I don’t think this is event will be comparable to the Volvo Race. This race is smaller boats of amateur ( as in non-paid) boat owners with small enough crews. It will ha e a feel good factor down the dock I’d imagine, but I wouldn’t expect it to bring in huge tourist no’s or crowds, or have big stage entertainment like VOR had.

If it was along the lines of Seafest, I'd be happy. That was a great little event that brought in nice crowds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

If it was along the lines of Seafest, I'd be happy. That was a great little event that brought in nice crowds

Absolutely, and that’s kinda the scale I’d be expecting. That, and a bit of sunshine for the weekend too! ( and a vaccine :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One thing that stood out for me was the RAF Red Arrows displays at Salthill for both Volvo visits in great weather 2009 was a scorcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ratracer wrote: »
    Absolutely, and that’s kinda the scale I’d be expecting. That, and a bit of sunshine for the weekend too! ( and a vaccine :))

That's what I am hoping for. Something like Sea Fest would be lovely. To be honest, anything would do at this stage. At least it is something to look forward to.

In academia, the mantra, publish or die holds true. You don't get published if you or your facility is not trusted as journals have to protect their reputations too.

Unfortunately I can't agree with this as I've a couple of friends that dropped out of postgrad research in NUIG as they were constantly under pressure from supervisors to not come to findings that were against the interests of the funding bodies. Thankfully they had more integrity than their department.

Unfortunately I can't agree with this

Fair enough, different experiences I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Unfortunately I can't agree with this as I've a couple of friends that dropped out of postgrad research in NUIG as they were constantly under pressure from supervisors to not come to findings that were against the interests of the funding bodies. Thankfully they had more integrity than their department.
    This sounds like a far more interesting story than the stopover. What was the field?

Advertisement