Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

A fantastic piece in the Galway Advertiser about the proposed new road. Well researched and well written. I wouldn't do it justice copying it here as there are a multitude of links and images in it, so go have a read

City bypass might increase, not lessen, traffic congestion in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

First you acknowledge paint isnt protection and now you support protected cycle lanes.....who are you and what have you done with the real Mr's O

You missed the bit about where possible.

If space is limited, I believe that a pedestrian only footpath is more important than a cycle lane. If that's not safe enough for kids, then the kids shouldn't be cycling - let them use their legs the way nature designed them, ie walk.

Pedestrianised areas should be just that. For pedestrians and wheely-things that travel at walking speed (wheelchairs, buggies). Feck off with your bicycles, tricycles, scooters, etc.

Are you reassured that it's me yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You missed the bit about where possible.

If space is limited, I believe that a pedestrian only footpath is more important than a cycle lane. If that's not safe enough for kids, then the kids shouldn't be cycling - let them use their legs the way nature designed them, ie walk.

Pedestrianised areas should be just that. For pedestrians and wheely-things that travel at walking speed (wheelchairs, buggies). Feck off with your bicycles, tricycles, scooters, etc.

Are you reassured that it's me yet :-)
    What about kids with disabilities that make it hard for them to walk so use a bicycle to get around? Not all disabilities require wheelchairs.

Not anti cycling
    Feck off with your bicycles, tricycles, scooters, etc.

That pretence didn't last long.

xckjoo wrote: »
    What about kids with disabilities that make it hard for them to walk so use a bicycle to get around? Not all disabilities require wheelchairs.

Thats very true. There's also several disabled folks that use hand cycles similar to this one. Kissing gates exclude people such as him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Or local people in Salthill who cycle on bikes like this
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1359862441459523589

That one is truly stupid and irritates the hell out of me everytime I go there either on foot or bike.
    Heres the direct twitter VIDEO link (from series you posted earlier) for South Park
    https://twitter.com/Sniipe/status/1361083615162023940?s=20

Ya really bloody irritating even just watching somebody else suffering this stupidity !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Well they call it a "Preliminary Report on the Proposed Barna Greenway" but it has drawings for the full route, completed by Atkins. Might need to be reviewed with any changes along the route since and some discussions needed around lane use. But hopefully they'll use this funding to push it forward.

Can Atkins tender for it post Brexit?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Can Atkins tender for it post Brexit?

Why not? They've an Irish registered business and have offices across Europe.

No need anyway, the job is done. The 248 new public active travel roles should be able to lift it, touch it up and implement.

An example from Spain where the implementation of protected cycle lanes increased cycling modal share from 0.5% to 7% in just 5 years

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1361948128157589504?s=20

But its nice and sunny there you say. The weather doesn't seem to bother the 23% of pedestrian modal share in Galway.

But lets be pragmatic and say we are not going to see a 14 fold modal shift in Galway if they implement protected cycle lanes throughout the city. Lets say we only see a 4 fold increase. That would put cycling's modal share on par with walking at between 20-25% of all travel in the city.

Definitely something worth pushing for and by refusing to accept paint as protection, its something that can be achieved.

• Advertisement

Definitely something worth pushing for and by refusing to accept paint as protection, its something that can be achieved.

What's protecting the pedestrians in the 2nd from left bottom row pic?

Do you understand the difference in typical relative velocity and momentum between a car and cyclist and a cyclist and pedestrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do you understand the difference in typical relative velocity and momentum between a car and cyclist and a cyclist and pedestrian?

Don't feed the.....cyclophobe.

Being hit by a car will likely kill me.

Being hit by a cyclist going half the speed will likely injure me. Potentially so badly that I'd prefer to be dead.

The point stands: paint isn't protection.

Wow.

So to continue your line of thought, what protection do you think we should have in place to protect pedestrians from other pedestrians?

Look again, the cycling lane replaced the parking spaces. The footpath remains unchanged on the other side of the trees.

Being hit by a car will likely kill me.

Being hit by a cyclist going half the speed will likely injure me. Potentially so badly that I'd prefer to be dead.

The point stands: paint isn't protection.

Perhaps all true in some dystopian universe, paint isn't protection, but nothing is risk free.
    I doubt the people in that photo would even consider themselves cyclists. They are just people on bikes getting from A to B, no special clothes, the facilities they are on could be used by an 8 yr old or an 80yr old. I would prefer to live in a city like Seville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Might be worth getting your eyes tested. The pedestrian footpath is to the right of the trees and parked mopeds.

The real question to ask is why anyone would suggest adopting Seville's standards. Absolutely follow their model of getting infrastructure in place, but we don't need those narrow lanes with traffic lights and bus shelters eating into them. We already have that.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Might be worth getting your eyes tested. The pedestrian footpath is to the right of the trees and parked mopeds.

The real question to ask is why anyone would suggest adopting Seville's standards. Absolutely follow their model of getting infrastructure in place, but we don't need those narrow lanes with traffic lights and bus shelters eating into them. We already have that.

You're right - I can see it on a big screen, but totally missed it on the phone. My apologies. And I agree - cycle lanes should be kept well away from bus shelters.

I thought you were anti pedestrianisation?

Just coming back to this now I'm on a proper keyboard - too hard to answer on the phone:

I'm opposed to pedestrianisation in places where it doesn't make sense, eg primarily residential streets in the city centre or fringe: We know from other examples that pedestrianisation leads to increased all-hours street noise, and makes the streets less and less attractive for residents.

But places where it makes sense, ie where on-street gatherings aren't a problem - perfect. Eglinton St is the main example where it would make sense - except that currently it's needed as a route for buses going west. I wouldn't support it being bus-and-pedestrian only, because in my home town streets that went like that led to some very nasty pedestrian injuries and traumatised bus-drivers (pedestrians were at fault - but hey, it's predictable that they will wander out in dumb ways, and should be designed for. We cannot licence dumb ones off the footpath.

Real-world problems rarely have simple solutions.

More cycling would make the world better in some ways (lower fossil fuel use, less space for commuter traffic), but worse in others (needs extra space allocated to make two-wheeler lanes and more varied sizes of allocated parking space - and two-wheeler users generally more unpredictable in their behaviour and are less likely to obey the ROTR than four-wheeler users). It's not the utopia that some believe.

• Advertisement

two-wheeler users generally more unpredictable in their behaviour and are less likely to obey the ROTR than four-wheeler users

Link to your research?

More cycling would make the world better in some ways (lower fossil fuel use, less space for commuter traffic), but worse in others (needs extra space allocated to make two-wheeler lanes and more varied sizes of allocated parking space - and two-wheeler users generally more unpredictable in their behaviour and are less likely to obey the ROTR than four-wheeler users). It's not the utopia that some believe.

Thats mostly Mrs OBumble nonsense right there in one sentence. People on bikes need far less space for everything, where is the evidence for your ROTR nonsensical statement.
    I say you home town living experience has distorted your perspective - doubt its in Ireland or Europe. Somewhere in car centric USA/Canada?

Some interesting proposals especially on the bus users front. Money looks small - mostly for design and engineering?

Has the City Council made any statement on any of the recent funds coming from government? (22 active travel staff, €12m mobility improvements, this..)

Some interesting proposals especially on the bus users front. Money looks small - mostly for design and engineering?

I thought the design for some of this was done already, as part of the Claregalway/ Tuam Rd bus corridor work.

2021 funding of €240 million announced for active travel projects. Full breakdown of all councils allocation at this link

Galway City Council to get €11.8 mil. Rural allocation to follow in a few weeks.

The 11.8 mil breaks down to the following projects

543029.jpg

543030.jpg

There's a lot to digest there but some things of note are

Bus, cycling & walking infrastructure
    Tuam Road Bus Corridor Project
    Galway Cross City Link
    Dublin Road Transport Corridor
    Bus Priority within Urban Traffic Management Controls
    Western Distributor Road Multi-Modal Corridor

New walking/cycling infrastructure
    Salmon Weir Pedestrian & Cycle Bridge
    On-Street Cycle Parking
    Permeability Projects - Millars Lane
    Greenway - Moycullen to City Centre
    Greenway - City Centre to Barna
    Clifden Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge

In relation to the Galway to Barna greenway and the demand for safe cycling infrastructure to and through Salthill, of particular note is the 10k provided for a parking survey in Salthill. Here's hoping its the first in a series of steps by the council to get protected cycling infrastructure implemented in Salthill.

Also, great to see 1 million for permeability improvements along Millars Lane in Knocknacarra. A great one to start with and should impact a great many people very positively in terms of choosing active travel options over the car.

Granted the allocations for the various items don't necessarily mean they are due for implementation but these allocations indicate support to take these things through the design, planning, etc phases and its great to see.

5k for Spanish Arch Enhancement lol. What are they going to do, paint it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Nah. They'll make a wooden sign with "Spanish Arch" written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

McGiver wrote: »
    Nah. They'll make a wooden sign with "Spanish Arch" written on it.

And it'll probably take 3 years go 20k over budget.

• Advertisement

Hopefully install more parking for two-wheelers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement