Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the young Irish lad who was begging in town for years. Often outside Centra, Aldi, Penneys,etc,...

I think his first name was Cormac. Wanted to know if he got clean or just went to another county.

If it is the aggressive lad I'm thinking of he won 50k on a scratch card someone gave him at the main post office around christmas 2019 and disappeared off, I saw him dublin around this time last year begging. I doubt he spent the money on getting treatment more likely he just spent it on junk and stuck it in his arm.

If its the lad that has been around the last year it was his caravan that was burnt out before christmas and his dog killed. He is still sleeping rough the svp hostel wont take him in. I think is one of only two rough sleepers actually in carlow the rest of the beggers live somewhere and just use the begging to buy junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

If it is the aggressive lad I'm thinking of he won 50k on a scratch card someone gave him at the main post office around christmas 2019 and disappeared off, I saw him dublin around this time last year begging. I doubt he spent the money on getting treatment more likely he just spent it on junk and stuck it in his arm.

Yeah that must be him. Whereabouts in Dublin did you see him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was in Carlow a week ago delivering for work and was walking past the Hicksons centra in the town centre.

3 separate beggars (2 men 1 woman) were “working the patch” there asking ppl walking past for money

1 guy early 20s pestered me got nothing then turned his attentions to an elderly lady walking past.

Why don’t the guards in Carlow move these ppl on?

Yeah that must be him. Whereabouts in Dublin did you see him?

Around temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Around temple bar.

He was the lad who in Summer 2018 or Summer 2019 when Eigse had the Money Pig on College St. was one of those, maybe the only one, selected, to dip into it & take a few pound; not quite sure how it work in terms of if it's a bit like a supermarket sweep.

What I do remember is when they put it up on their social media platforms they came in for huge stick; people commenting that he shouldn't be in receipt of any such donations because he's an addict + that they were humiliating him & basically making him sing for his supper by filming it.

PR disaster for them; the Money Pig won't be back me in Summer 2021/2022 me thinks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I think the worst beggar in town is that guy with the tear tattoo who always confronts people on the street, scary looking chap. Always see the fear in elderly people when he walks over to them looking for money and wearing no mask.

Cw85 wrote: »
    I think the worst beggar in town is that guy with the tear tattoo who always confronts people on the street, scary looking chap. Always see the fear in elderly people when he walks over to them looking for money and wearing no mask.

Be very careful around him he is one of the the guys that nearly killed the men cleaning the burrin river a few years ago with his brother they nearly Lynched them. He is one who really should be run out of the county.

You mean 5K right? There's no way it could be 50K, he wouldn't even have a bank account. You wouldn't get that much in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You mean 5K right? There's no way it could be 50K, he wouldn't even have a bank account. You wouldn't get that much in cash.

No it was 50k alright I've heard that story a few times. No reason they wouldn't give you a cheque made out to cash.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No it was 50k alright I've heard that story a few times. No reason they wouldn't give you a cheque made out to cash.

That is seriously mental. I heard he had been living with his gran before becoming homeless. I wonder if he gave her any, although I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Anyone konow if MaCauleys or any booths do digital photos for a passport in Carlow.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 60,450 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Anyone konow if MaCauleys or any booths do digital photos for a passport in Carlow.
    TIA

The photo boot at McCauleys in Penny's is open however the passport office won't do online passports till Level 5 is over and they say not to upload till then.

I have to renew my own as well and looked into it yesterday.

I wonder what the proposed route is? A road and bridge to the south of the town is badly needed imo.

50886890058_8cc3980968_w.jpg

I see screwfix have a new store front up at the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I wonder what the proposed route is? A road and bridge to the south of the town is badly needed imo.

Apologies for the bad pic but you get the drift

http://carlow2017.eiresolutions.com/roads.html

road8.jpg

Celtic Linen site down by Andy Murphy Rd./Montgomery St. (and latterly a shooting gallery/squat) has gone Sale Agreed with Thomas M. Byrnes; they've also sold the old Bramleys Jewelry (sp?) premises; will be interesting to see what goes into either premises; would Carlow Co. Co. be willing to rezone the Celtic Linen property for private housing for example with a mix of affordable & other?

What's the story with Graigue park being closed the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

What's the story with Graigue park being closed the last few days?

Closed due to flooding as far as I know. Barrow is very high and the walkway down by the back of Chinese is flooded at parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

natc wrote: »
    Closed due to flooding as far as I know. Barrow is very high and the walkway down by the back of Chinese is flooded at parts.

From Jennifer Murnane page

Many of you have contacted me in the last few days with regard to an update on Carlow Town Park.

The park has been closed.

I have been informed that the Town Park will remain closed for the remainder of the week. It was pointed out that although the water levels have reduced the forecast for this week is for inclement weather. For health and safety reasons, Carlow County Council have decided to keep it closed. I will update you all with any information I provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

On the other side of the river: Correction, looks to be close to bridge end of the town park according to https://consult.carlow.ie/en/consultation/project-carlow-2040-vision-regeneration/chapter/3-barrow-track-civic-spine

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/02/11/exciting-plan-aims-to-maximise-the-river-barrows-full-potential/

I do hope this goes ahead, looks like a fantastic and very welcome idea.
    I hope they put this right next to the river (walkway) and move the road back behind it rather than have the road between it and the river.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    On the other side of the river: Correction, looks to be close to bridge end of the town park according to https://consult.carlow.ie/en/consultation/project-carlow-2040-vision-regeneration/chapter/3-barrow-track-civic-spine

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/02/11/exciting-plan-aims-to-maximise-the-river-barrows-full-potential/

I do hope this goes ahead, looks like a fantastic and very welcome idea.
    I hope they put this right next to the river (walkway) and move the road back behind it rather than have the road between it and the river.

That image makes it look very drab in comparison to the case study images in the other link.

It also looks like it's intended for inside the park just up from the current floating jetty

50936008937_41f537aa61.jpg

00_Photomontage-1024x532.jpg

Yeah it is a shame its squeezed into a corner over by the park when there is so much potential on the barrow track side.

Such a missed opportunity, but still at least they are looking to provide something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I thought some of the barrow track side had been sold for appartments and the planning ap was in for that. In fairness it makes more financial sense for the Council to build on land they own.

So with this, the Kelvin House announcement, the Potato Market announcement good to see some developement happening.

I thought some of the barrow track side had been sold for appartments and the planning ap was in for that. In fairness it makes more financial sense for the Council to build on land they own.

So with this, the Kelvin House announcement, the Potato Market announcement good to see some developement happening.

Has Kelvin Grove been sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's earmarked to be a day care centre for Holy Angels i think.
    It's in todays Nationalist.

I thought the Potato market to fairgreen development was set back due to objections?

I think the potato market part is just using Tullys yard (beside Detail) as a covered outdoor farmers market, although I can't recall where I seen it.

Found it:
    https://www.localenterprise.ie/Carlow/News/Carlow-Exchange-Potato-Market-Carlow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

The photo boot at McCauleys in Penny's is open however the passport office won't do online passports till Level 5 is over and they say not to upload till then.

I have to renew my own as well and looked into it yesterday.
    Was just about to post this question as my passport is out of date, is it a booth? as i presume there would be no staff involvement. Won't be doing it for a while as we'll be in level 5 for a while according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,450 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

votecounts wrote: »
    Was just about to post this question as my passport is out of date, is it a booth? as i presume there would be no staff involvement. Won't be doing it for a while as we'll be in level 5 for a while according to reports.

Its digital picture taken by a staff member that is sent to a cloud and you are given a code to put into the online form and the passport office can take it from there.

I didn't actually go in myself as there is no point till level 5 is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Its digital picture taken by a staff member that is sent to a cloud and you are given a code to put into the online form and the passport office can take it from there.

I didn't actually go in myself as there is no point till level 5 is over.
    Thanks again, will probably be a few months before I use it as well:)

Advertisement