Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky - cancelling old plans and moving everyone to new plan. Report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Sky boxes are really handy and their broadband is great

It's ridiculous that they're still charging extra for HD in this day and age though, watching sports in SD is just painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

got notification today, being moved to 'sky signature' package. Extra €3.95 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Sky have been upping plans for years and many do not notice an increase of a euro here or euro there taken from their bank accounts. This would be a bigger jump than their usual one.
    My first plan was €26.00 and over the years it has increased now to €38.75. Lost a few channels on the way but still a basic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Checking out 'alternatives' at the moment, some services are exceptional, just as good as sky, and far cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

As Box Sets are included with Sky Signature it may work out cheaper,
    if you were already paying for Box Sets. It did for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Was forced onto Sky Ultimate to get a free Q box and dish and install (and 6 months half price sports and movies) just less than a year ago

My dish was over 10 years old ... so it wasn't a bad deal.
    Q box is impressive I must say

I had a 4K Netflix sub (the Ultimate add on) .... so got that through Sky instead which means you get all Sky content in HD and 4K also.

€54 in total for Sky (Signature, Netflix and 4K)
    It's €50 for the same in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Was forced onto Sky Ultimate
    No you weren't. You made that choice yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Channels have disappeared such as Disney and the Music section only has some Mtv Channels. Theres limited News channels aswell even though most of the missing ones are FTA.

But the price goes up.

I know that channels were removed because of Brexit but surely Sky could do more to put more FTA channels on the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dump it OP'

I have FTA satellite - Free

Broadband - GoMo mobile broadband (can stream no probs) €12 a month

Now TV €7.99 a month no contract cancel anytime

Amazon Prime Video €9.99 a month no contract cancel anytime

more than meets my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Must find out how prime works as used their delivery service which was handy, is it still linked to that a account as an extra service or included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I was moved onto Sky Signature + Ultimate when I changed to a Sky Q box. Actually worked out slightly cheaper as there is a discount for bundling netflix, I used pay separately for that. I did lose the Sky Sports F1 channel though.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Must find out how prime works as used their delivery service which was handy, is it still linked to that a account as an extra service or included.

its included, so if you use amazon regularly it's a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Cool as got a 55" 4K oled android not to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The Sky strangle-hold is slipping.
    Get yourself Turkish Netflix for €4.50 a month. No VPN needed to watch or any of that.
    Get a TV with Saorview & Freesat built in. Run around 400-500 for a decent 43-50inch these days.
    If a regular Amazon user, subscribe to Prime and use the included video (and music) streaming.

There's another BA thread here on how to get EPL / Sport etc. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116359006#post116359006

Goodbye Sky.

i don't know why people bother with it, unless you're in an apartment complex and you have no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Been with Sky forever and haggled yearly for better deals.

I was paying €103 a month for Variety package and broadband since last April and noticed my bill has gone up to €130 a month since Xmas! Called them last week to find out that they have cancelled my package and moved me to Signature.

Will be calling them this week to see what the story is about the price and then I'll be cancelling them if there is no improvement. Very p1ssed off as no communication from them about the increase.

€1600 a year to watch Judge Judy FFS!!

The Sky strangle-hold is slipping.
    Get yourself Turkish Netflix for €4.50 a month. No VPN needed to watch or any of that.
    Get a TV with Saorview & Freesat built in. Run around 400-500 for a decent 43-50inch these days.
    If a regular Amazon user, subscribe to Prime and use the included video (and music) streaming.

There's another BA thread here on how to get EPL / Sport etc. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116359006#post116359006

Goodbye Sky.
    You'll get 3 to 4 year old 40 to 50" TVs with both FTA satellite secondhand even cheaper than that. Interface isn't as easy as Sky set top box but it works.
    Amazon Prime is a great service when you consider how little it costs.
    There is plenty of help here on boards.ie to get netflix at a lower price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s no discussion here of circumventing regional restrictions. Other forums on Boards may operate different policies and that is up to them - Boards has always operated on the basis that each forum has its own local charter and there may be differences between different forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

I’m finding it impossible to contact Sky Ireland by phone,email etc.
    I can upgrade my package but not cancel or downgrade said package on line.
    Anyone else in the same boat?

Call 1800 927 476 (freephone) around 8:30 - 9:00 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I too after approx 15 years with Sky have made the jump and got rid of Sky.

Was paying over €120 for Sky entertainment with sports.

Got fed up with Sky's ridiculous pricing.

Want HD pay extra. Really? In 2006 I'd understand paying for HD but 2021?
    Want 4k, then you need a more expensive box and also subscribe to Multiscreen for €15 extra month.
    Want Box sets, then you need HD.
    Want Sports, then you have to take our basic package too.

Just got fed up with it.

Got myself a Zgemma box as mentioned on other thread with Openvix. Connected up the sky cables and got all UK freeview channels.
    Also got a saorview indoor antennae on Amazon for about €15 and have the Irish channels,

For sports, I have an IPTV service.

Also have Disney, Netflix and Prime.

No looking back and my monthly costs have plummeted and I don't miss them. When I actually analyse how much live TV I watch now it's hardly anything. Sport and big news stories. That's about it.
    Everything else I get through the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

muffler wrote: »
    Call 1800 927 476 (freephone) around 8:30 - 9:00 in the morning.

Rang Sky at 8.45 this morning. Recorded message says Sales Office is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

murpho999 wrote: »
    I too after approx 15 years with Sky have made the jump and got rid of Sky.

Was paying over €120 for Sky entertainment with sports.

Got fed up with Sky's ridiculous pricing.

Want HD pay extra. Really? In 2006 I'd understand paying for HD but 2021?
    Want 4k, then you need a more expensive box and also subscribe to Multiscreen for €15 extra month.
    Want Box sets, then you need HD.
    Want Sports, then you have to take our basic package too.

Just got fed up with it.

Got myself a Zgemma box as mentioned on other thread with Openvix. Connected up the sky cables and got all UK freeview channels.
    Also got a saorview indoor antennae on Amazon for about €15 and have the Irish channels,

For sports, I have an IPTV service.

Also have Disney, Netflix and Prime.

No looking back and my monthly costs have plummeted and I don't miss them. When I actual analyse how much live TV I watch now it's hardly anything. Sport and big news stories. That's about it.
    Everything else I get through the internet.

I lost Sports and Cinema last month and have been waiting for a call with a deal!!

Anyway.... no call came!!

But we never missed either.... wife happy with the free Sony and True Movies section and I can watch Sport on another medium. Bill down from €113 to €54 this month. Can’t see myself now taking up any deals now

They should be open. Most people including some Sky reps would advise ringing early in the morning. Give them another call now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

usually ring em on 0818 719 819, early, and always select "add channels" option, then at least you get someone you can talk to quickly and they will either help you or pass you on to someone else.

what's the difference between Now TV and Sky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

fryup wrote: »

NowTV is like sky through the Internet but it's limited to 720p and its a fair bit cheaper (and it is watch what you want when you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

fryup wrote:

Now tv is owned by sky and is a streaming service.

It's streamed either by a now tv stick, chromecast or app via the tv.

The main advantages are you can buy a pack that suits your viewing habits. There are separate packs for sports, entertainment, reality tv, movies and box sets.

There are also no contracts and you can cancel the packs online, so no annoying phone calls.

They do have great special offers and 7 day free trials on some packs tha are worth checking out.

Some disadvantages would be:

You cannot record or pause or rewind/ff etc.

The picture quality would not be top notch either.

Advertisement