Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

As the scandal affected only French league matches, Marseille's status as 1993 European champion was not affected. (Wiki)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interactive map of radio stations around the world

http://radio.garden/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

When I was a young teenager, the last thing I'd do before going to sleep was turning the tuning dial on my clock radio (remember them) until I found a French radio station. I guess that living in the South East of the country helped with the signal.
    I had enough secondary school French to understand about every tenth word. In 80s Ireland it was all very exotic for want of a better word.
    The idea that there were real French people hundreds of miles away in France, listening to the same radio station, was mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Great. Now instead of doing work, I'm listening to Yemeni talk shows, Alaskan Christian stations and Japanese country music. And I don't ever listen to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Interweb find of the week. Thank you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Great. Now instead of doing work, I'm listening to Yemeni talk shows, Alaskan Christian stations and Japanese country music. And I don't ever listen to the radio.

Súper Tokio Radio, in American Spanish playing salsa. Absolutely bizarre :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Treasure Maps of Cornwall and the Caribbean.

C30-33-Ogilby_Caribbean.jpg
    28d4df73dcadba9155b6d1d1d29b442f--pirate-treasure-maps-buried-treasure.jpg473431-1408370711.jpg?itok=JqckRQtX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

josip wrote: »
    Some might also say that Wales should not be coloured the same as England or Scotland since they have a separate soccer federation.
    This is what I was on about.

josip wrote: »
    Some might also say that Wales should not be coloured the same as England or Scotland since they have a separate soccer federation.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    This is what I was on about.

But don't some Welsh clubs (Cardiff, Swansea) play in the English divisions, and as such would compete in Europe under the English FA?

But don't some Welsh clubs (Cardiff, Swansea) play in the English divisions, and as such would compete in Europe under the English FA?

They do but the Welsh FA submit their own clubs to EUFA competitions including the champions league. One of their teams even played at anfield against liverpool in the champions league qualifying rounds a few months after Liverpool won the champions league in Istanbul against AC Milan. Stevie G scored a hat-trick in the game.

• Advertisement

They do but the Welsh FA submit their own clubs to EUFA competitions including the champions league. One of their teams even played at anfield against liverpool in the champions league qualifying rounds a few months after Liverpool won the champions league in Istanbul against AC Milan. Stevie G scored a hat-trick in the game.

Can we keep this to maps please?

I genuinely hate soccer and the debate is still ongoing as to why a map of europe with 20 odd soccer club badges on it was ever interesting?

In 1992, 29,000 rubber ducks (brand name "Friendly Floatees") were lost from a container ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This is when and where they made landfall.

where-rubber-ducks-made-landfall-after-being-dumped-in-pacific-ocean.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In 1992, 29,000 rubber ducks (brand name "Friendly Floatees") were lost from a container ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This is when and where they made landfall.

where-rubber-ducks-made-landfall-after-being-dumped-in-pacific-ocean.jpg

It famously taught us more about the world's ocean currents than we had already known to that point or confirmed theories that were out there!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Detailed map of the landing site of the NASA Mars Perseverance Rover mission, which, all going well, will be landing at this site on Mars in just over two hours.

The map is based on images taken by the NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter mission, and the map is approximately 10 kilometers in diameter.

The Perseverance Mars river will land by a sky crane system that will allow a landing location accurate to 1 kilometre in diameter.

11417_w5jstnut6civ9py4.jpeg

The Ivory Coast is where it is at.

There is a guy at lunchtime who goes around to interview people at the local market about food prices... you haven't lived.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The Ivory Coast is where it is at.

There is a guy at lunchtime who goes around to interview people at the local market about food prices... you haven't lived.

I'm just ecstatic that the first Japanese station I clicked on, the very first word I heard was "Konnichiwa”. I was like "OMG, I can understand this!".

Of course I hadn't a clue what was being said from the second word.

Listening to the two lads in Yemen talking in Arabic for half an hour was not the most productive part of my day, but I actually forgot I had my headphones on.

I'm just ecstatic that the first Japanese station I clicked on, the very first word I heard was "Konnichiwa”. I was like "OMG, I can understand this!".

Listening to the two lads in Yemen talking in Arabic for half an hour was not the most productive part of my day, but I actually forgot I had my headphones on.

Listening to a Samba Blues show from Utopia Radio in Higúey in the Dominican Republic. It is borderline Flamenco... with a twist.

I haven't a word of Spanish, cracking open the dark rum in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I listened to a particular show in Ireland a few days ago on that garden radio site. Open your mind Radio. They were discussing Covid and how it was a step in the government take over of all individual rights. My immediate thought was what would other nationalities think if they clicked on it.

If people aren't distracted enough by listening to radio stations from around the world, doing that while virtually driving through different cities will definitely help to ensure you get no work done.

https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/

76a102e0-4873-470d-b8ce-2e4b8addf160?auto=format&auto=compress&codec=mozjpeg&cs=strip&w=304&h=190&fit=max&dpr=2

I listened to a particular show in Ireland a few days ago on that garden radio site. Open your mind Radio. They were discussing Covid and how it was a step in the government take over of all individual rights. My immediate thought was what would other nationalities think if they clicked on it.

If people aren't distracted enough by listening to radio stations from around the world, doing that while virtually driving through different cities will definitely help to ensure you get no work done.

https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/

76a102e0-4873-470d-b8ce-2e4b8addf160?auto=format&auto=compress&codec=mozjpeg&cs=strip&w=304&h=190&fit=max&dpr=2

so basically a real life version of Grand Theft Auto?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^ They picked a lovely day to drive through Dublin!!!

^^ They picked a lovely day to drive through Dublin!!!

and they picked a terrible day to drive through Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

More shìte talk than interesting maps going on a lot recently

More shìte talk than interesting maps going on a lot recently

feel free to post one.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

feel free to post one.

My ability ends with posting I'm afraid :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I clicked on this one, and the first thing I heard was an ad for Bank of Ireland in an obvious Irish accent. The next ad was some other Irish ad, too. Are they replacing the ads from the country in question with ads from the country from which you're listening, or was it just a complete fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

New Home wrote: »
    I clicked on this one, and the first thing I heard was an ad for Bank of Ireland in an obvious Irish accent. The next ad was some other Irish ad, too. Are they replacing the ads from the country in question with ads from the country from which you're listening, or was it just a complete fluke?

That station is anyway. I got an ad for Irish broadband rollout, and then it went straight into the middle of a Latin american song. I didn't come across that on any other station I listened to, so I assume it's the station doing it, not the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

684c6a956a8f4959884f768ee133fc73.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

5dc323b7135048e1b878ad662cff3a92.jpg

Advertisement