Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for roles when they've given no key information?

• 17-02-2021 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Have you noticed that so many jobs now expect you to blindly apply for them with no opportunity given to ask the most basic questions in advance?

There's just a big "Apply Now" button and they've seemingly thought of nothing from the prospective employees perspective.

I'm not going to waste my time and effort preparing a CV/Cover letter and cluelessly apply for an advertised position where the Employer has given no indication of the salary, normal hours of work, whether there's on-call, weekends, night shifts, international travel or whatever else.

At what point are you supposed to discover that the salary on offer is less than you're on right now and then whole lot is a nonsensical waste of time???

Seriously - these people are so clueless and detached from reality.

You are supposed to be doing this professionally.

The standard out there in HR really is the pits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Honestly, this seems to be pretty standard in job advertising these days. It’s not just omissions that are happening either, it’s also blatant misinformation and lies on the advert.

I applied for a position posted as having a location in Dublin. I thought great, it’s not a bad commute, pay was great for an entry level role. Seemed fantastic.

When they called me to arrange a phone interview they let it slip that the position was in a different country. I’d be expected to move there within 2-3 weeks to take up the position (no idea how that’d even work with COVID and quarantine.) It was a non-English speaking country where I didn’t know a word of the language. Nowhere on the description did it mention this and it simply said it was located in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's not these days is always been like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Lash in your CV with equally little thought, at least when they call they're half interested and you can get your questions in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Seriously - these people are so clueless and detached from reality.

I'm not having a go at you, but you're complaining about something which has been the reality since forever... so the issue is you don't have a lot of experience with job adverts or job interviews.

I agree with you though that they should at least put a salary range, the location of the office, and whether travel is necessary in the advert.

Advertisement