Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTAV Online for 13 year old?

Options
  • 18-02-2021 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I have a thirteen year old boy who is pestering me to play GTAV online because 'all of his friends are'.

I have read plenty about the main game that would prohibit him from playing it for several years. However what about the online part? Is there much focus put on the sex, prostitution etc. angle in this version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Doodah7 wrote: »
    As the title says, I have a thirteen year old boy who is pestering me to play GTAV online because 'all of his friends are'.

I have read plenty about the main game that would prohibit him from playing it for several years. However what about the online part? Is there much focus put on the sex, prostitution etc. angle in this version?

There is an age rating of 18+ in much of the world, and for good reason. I'd be very lenient but no chance mine will be playing it at that age. In saying that, I haven't played GTA 5 since it came out a few years ago. Even then, it was pretty hardcore.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'd say it depends on your kid and your own outlook on innuendo and swearing.
    GTA5 story mode is one of the most 18s game ever made. I wouldn't let a kid near it. Online though doesn't have that much going on. Sure, you're stealing stuff and killing people and some of the cut scenes have a bit of innuendo and a good bit of swearing but if you have a chat with the kid beforehand and explain it's just a game, don't be a dick in real life then it mightn't be too bad? Again, it depends on your kid and your rules.
    I've (almost 50 with 2 teenagers and 1 tween) played it a lot with mates and it's great fun. My 14 year old was on at me for a while to allow him to play it and, same as your kid, "all the friends were playing it". I relented a few weeks ago and allowed him to play online because I wasn't letting him out to meet up with the friends. Pandemic, and all that. He plays in a room downstairs where we can keep an eye on him and to be fair, we mostly hear him howling with laughter at the fun he's having with the friends.
    Edit: I should have added that if it wasn't for the pandemic, there'd be a good chance I wouldn't have allowed him to play it. Having relented and listening to the joy of him having a laugh online with mates that he can't see in real life at the moment I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Absolutely not.
    Also, personally if my child's reason for wanting to play the game is that all their friends are that tells me that they're easily influenced and prone to peer pressure and therefore should not be playing GTA.

What child isn't easily influenced and prone to peer pressure?

Jesus, most of the adults I know are too never mind children.....

Advertisement