Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just spotted frogs mating in our garden pond. Pond was only established spring 2019. We had put some rescued frogspawn into it last year but these big adult frogs have come from elsewhere. Dreading the arrival of our first heron ( although it will be a great record for the garden bird survey😉)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the pond lined with?
    i'm dreading a heron coming to our pond. not for the fate of the frogs, but for the fate of the liner.

what's the pond lined with?
    i'm dreading a heron coming to our pond. not for the fate of the frogs, but for the fate of the liner.

I know. Thin synthetic liner v. herons beak. I know which one my money's on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've had repeated attacks on the liner on one pond from foxes, but at least the damage they did pertaining to the water level only affected it by an inch or so. They pulled up the excess liner that had been tucked out of the way and in one place shredded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’m looking at preformed hard plastic ponds at the moment, they seem a good investment? leek proof I’m hoping but huge variations in price depending on the website you pick!

• Advertisement

more work to prepare the ground with them - you have to dig and prepare the hole so it matches the liner. with PVC or butyl rubber, the liner will conform to the hole.

That’s true a lot more flexibility with shape and size with the liner, but I get the impression that there’s a lot of work to creating and maintaining it, especially with the possibility of holes. I’m looking at a small simple enough shape so I’m hoping it’ll be a case of drop it in hopefully without too much hassle

i have a PVC lined one out the back that is in probably six years with no issue, but as mentioned, i don't think we've ever had a heron visit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know zilch about ponds, but could you do a base with a liner, cover that with a layer of soil and then put another liner on top of that? It might prove to be heron-proof.

That thought crossed my mind too! Sounds like a good job idea!

• Advertisement

i would reckon the inner sandwich of soil would simply slump, the underlying liner would not be enough for it to stick to?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about clay, then?

never tried it, so i suspect it's a trial and error thing?

the owner of pond hobby told me that small holes are most easily fixed with tec7, when they're small enough that you can smear a small blob onto a puncture. not suited for tears in the liner, i think.

anyway, speaking of which - the first clumps of frogspawn have appeared in the pond overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

We put a pond in during summer 2019, during last year two frogs moved in, started to see some larvae, it was coming along nicely. A few weeks ago some cattle got in and when chasing them out of the garden one of them slipped into the side of the pond ripping the liner in a couple of places :mad: Water now is about 2 to 3 inches deep.

Looks like well have to rip everything out and get a new liner. Was half thinking of putting the new liner directly over the existing one but debating whether to put sand over the old liner first!

I've had repeated attacks on the liner on one pond from foxes
    on this front, has anyone here ever tried to patch butyl rubber liner? i have an offcut i can carve up, but it's how to stick it safely and securely to the existing liner which is the issue.
    i don't want to lift the pond and re-line it as i can't guarantee the foxes won't be back.

Would the glue used to patch the inner tubes of bicycles work?

i was thinking that would be one option. i'd need to check if it's safe (chemically) in a pond.

Otherwise, the silicon sealant used in fish tanks may be another option. I'd say you'll probably need to remove the water from the area that you need to repair, though.

on this front, has anyone here ever tried to patch butyl rubber liner? i have an offcut i can carve up, but it's how to stick it safely and securely to the existing liner which is the issue.
    i don't want to lift the pond and re-line it as i can't guarantee the foxes won't be back.

Came across this website a few days ago, any of these help?
    https://fountains-decor.ie/liner-installation-liner-accessories/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was driving near Kilberry in County Meath yesterday and spotted a Red Kite flocked by crows/jackdaws. It was definitely a Kite but the underwing colouring was mottled and the tail wasn't as V shaped that you'd see in a adult. I presume it was one of last years hatchling.

Came across this website a few days ago, any of these help?
    https://fountains-decor.ie/liner-installation-liner-accessories/
    I reckon that flashing tape might be the ticket...

Measure twice cut once.... I obviously overlooked that rule... :o

My pond arrived today, I envisaged something far smaller so won’t be as straight forward as I thought to install. Pond liner sounds far more appealing at the moment :(

544101.jpeg
    544100.jpeg

Instead of digging, leave it where it is and pour lots of soil around it: not everyone can say they have a pond on top of a hill. :cool:

:pac::pac::pac:

Sounds like an interesting plan!

Where have ye sourced pond plants from? Future forests is a great source of info but aren’t showing their stock or selling till April, Pond Hobby website is under construction, any other recommendations?

ring pond hobby, he usually closes for the winter but often will open by appointment. it's mainly outdoors so social distancing is possible within the premises, but the main issue you'd face would be getting there.
    he might be able to tell you what plants he has in stock, or would recommend for your pond, and you could google them if he was able to send a list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Saw my first two packs of frogspawn and heard a frog duck-dive. Sadly not many of the spawn survive to adulthood due to visiting foxes/birds.

Question about frogs and spawn. Some spawn appeared during the night in our pond. We've noticed one adult frog hanging around it all morning while the rest of the frogs disappear during daylight hours. Could this be the female that laid the spawn? Or the male that fertilized it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I don't think that Frogs watch over the spawn after it's been laid. You should be able to make a rough guess at the sex of of the singleton, males are, on average, smaller than the females and at this time of the year have 'nuptial pads' on their thumbs to help with grip during amplexus.....

Advertisement