Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

optogirl wrote: »
    We're FTBs but in our 40's....looks like we might be renting for life at this stage unless that sweet lottery win comes in :(

Will they not entertain because of yer age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

zweton wrote: »
    Will they not entertain because of yer age?

We have AIP from DCC for the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan but the clock is ticking now. It's up in March - I had to get TDs involved to get a 3 month extension but basically if we haven't found a house by June we're fooked. Everything we've bid on so far has gone way over asking. We're renting with 2 kids so we need the house to be livable while we do it up and there's not much out there that isn't way over our budget. It's so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Saw a really nice place online.

EA won't entertain viewings during level 5. Fair enough.
    It's a bank sale, the place is not occupied, so I drove out myself and had a look around the property.

I know you can do viewings if sale agreed, so I called the EA and he said they're not taking any offers until lockdown is over.
    Also, bank want to have it on the market a few weeks to see what interest there is.
    Also, bank could take up to 4 weeks to approve an offer, even if they were taking them.

Is this normal?

I thought that once the bank got at least asking, they'd take it and move on. Didn't realise it would be so drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I thought that once the bank got at least asking, they'd take it and move on. Didn't realise it would be so drawn out.

See my last post just 30mins. Bank sale and while all documents and reports are completed. Still waiting for one final part of a letter from the bank, Despite the fact that its been verbal and written agreement, there is no sign of the formal written agreement after 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Very little out there and AIP clock running down all the time. It's really so frustrating especially as every single house we have viewed has gone way over asking.

yep, my AIP runs out in a few weeks, very frustrating with viewings halted, i've resigned myself to having to reapply for approval, luckily my spending habits haven't changed since i first got the AIP so i don't expect any issues getting approved again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

See my last post just 30mins. Bank sake and while all documents and reports are completed. Still waiting for one final part of a letter from the bank, Despite the fact that its been verbal and written agreement, there is no sign of the formal written agreement after 4 months.

So what’s missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Sweetaure wrote: »
    So what’s missing?

Formal written Letter of Consent from the Bank.
    Up to now there has been an agreement that all parties are happy with pricing and terms, but the letter hasnt been sent. Its purely Red Tape - take time to press a send button type stuff which to me is the most frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

We have AIP from DCC for the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan but the clock is ticking now. It's up in March - I had to get TDs involved to get a 3 month extension but basically if we haven't found a house by June we're fooked. Everything we've bid on so far has gone way over asking. We're renting with 2 kids so we need the house to be livable while we do it up and there's not much out there that isn't way over our budget. It's so frustrating.

Sorry to hear, is this in Dublin? The whole thing is a joke and sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

zweton wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, is this in Dublin? The whole thing is a joke and sad really.

Yeah Dublin. (Awaits the flurry of post telling me to move to Leitrim)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anyone selling in South Dublin at the moment? I have my 3 bed terraced house up for sale in Rathfarnham for the last 3 weeks and to be honest there hasn't been much interest , got an offer for just below asking price but it was quickly withdrawn.
    The house is priced well compared to other 3 beds in the area, be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭DataDude

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Anyone selling in South Dublin at the moment? I have my 3 bed terraced house up for sale in Rathfarnham for the last 3 weeks and to be honest there hasn't been much interest , got an offer for just below asking price but it was quickly withdrawn.
    The house is priced well compared to other 3 beds in the area, be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Not selling myself but very close with somebody who is. Same property had gone sale agreed and subsequently fell through a couple of years ago. Re-listed in the last while, hoping to take advantage of the supposed desperate buyers currently out there. No interest at all so far, not even at the lower level they previously went sale agreed at which they were hoping to far exceed.

EDIT - Should clarify South County Dublin rather than Dublin South

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

McGrath5 wrote: »

I'm surprised at that. Trying to buy a 3 bed in the area at the minute and every single one we bid on has loads of people throwing money at it. Is the back garden North facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm surprised at that. Trying to buy a 3 bed in the area at the minute and every single one we bid on has loads of people throwing money at it. Is the back garden North facing?

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

McGrath5 wrote:
    Anyone selling in South Dublin at the moment? I have my 3 bed terraced house up for sale in Rathfarnham for the last 3 weeks and to be honest there hasn't been much interest , got an offer for just below asking price but it was quickly withdrawn. The house is priced well compared to other 3 beds in the area, be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

We sold in Tallaght in October and bought 1km still in Tallght and while almost every house we were interested in went for 20-30k over asking, ours sold for 6k over. It was on the market for about a month and we were conscious of the ever changing situation with the pandemic so we just reduced our expectations and accepted that price. Luckily the house we bought we got for just 5k over asking. Both were with the same EA, not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of interest in our own house or indeed their ability to put us forward as strong buyers for the vendors of the new house. Obviously the pricing is quite different in Rathfarnham but interesting to hear that not all house prices are going through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

For those of you who have put offers in recently, how long are the vendor and estate agent taking to return to you with their answer. We have a pending bid for the asking price from last week and have received no response or acknowledgment. It's incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Been waiting 2 weeks for someone in AIB to come back to me.
    Getting quote annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Gael23 wrote: »
    Getting quote annoyed

I would think that’s unusual... in fairness AIB were back to us within a day or two on the online portal in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

How much would you recommend leaving as a buffer for legal and other fees when buying. Excluding any costs of furniture etc just costs related to the sale

For example if i have 30 k savings and aip for 140K i should be budgeting for a purchase cost of €165 maybe to allow for fees? What costs do i need to allow for aside from solicitor ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

2K for solicitor fees, another 200 for valuation report, 500 for surveyor if 2nd hand property.

How much would you recommend leaving as a buffer for legal and other fees when buying. Excluding any costs of furniture etc just costs related to the sale

For example if i have 30 k savings and aip for 140K i should be budgeting for a purchase cost of €165 maybe to allow for fees? What costs do i need to allow for aside from solicitor ones?

Movers, stamp duty if not new build and then obviously any furniture/ decorating/ renovations you’ll need to do

• Advertisement

Snipp wrote: »
    For those of you who have put offers in recently, how long are the vendor and estate agent taking to return to you with their answer. We have a pending bid for the asking price from last week and have received no response or acknowledgment. It's incredibly frustrating.

It depends on the EA and the vendor. We have an offer on a house, put to the EA yesterday, I haven’t heard back and I’ll have to ring him to get an answer as he won’t ring me. Vendor wants to wait and get as much as he can, instead of indicating a minimum. Very frustrating for us.

When we sold our house, in December, we got 4 offers, 3 of which we rejected, and and we always got back to our EA on the same day, and she told the potential purchasers straight away (or so she told us).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Ok so far I have 2k for solicitor fees, 200 for valuation report, 500 for surveyor & 1,600 ish stamp duty. Best leave a buffer of €4,500 so.Any thing else?

Im purposely leaving out furniture and appliances for now.

Am I right in saying that the valuation is after sale is agreed, say for example i pay over what the valuation thinks the house is worth, will the bank only lend me what the valuation has the price at? This would leave a shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Also, bank want to have it on the market a few weeks to see what interest there is.
    Also, bank could take up to 4 weeks to approve an offer, even if they were taking them.

Is this normal?

I believe it is fairly normal, i recall getting a similar explanation previously when asking an EA.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gael23 wrote: »
    Getting quote annoyed

Ring them with the number on the portal website, have tour mortgage application number handy as they'll ask for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Ok so far I have 2k for solicitor fees, 200 for valuation report, 500 for surveyor & 1,600 ish stamp duty. Best leave a buffer of €4,500 so.Any thing else?

Am I right in saying that the valuation is after sale is agreed, say for example i pay over what the valuation thinks the house is worth, will the bank only lend me what the valuation has the price at? This would leave a shortfall.

Valuation is usually ok. We sold our apartment in December and it became the highest price for an apartment in the area since 2008. As the EA had a list of the bids and as well it didn’t deviate like 50% of the prices of the other similar properties in the area, our purchasers had no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

The valuation done after you're sale agreed is for the bank (has to be done by one of their panel of valuers but you can choose) and the valuer should know (or you ensure they know) the agreed price as the purpose of the valuation for the bank to make sure the valuation isn't below the sale price thereby protecting their security if they ever needed to repossess and sell to get their money back. Grim but that's the reality.

If the valuation says its worth way less than you've agreed to pay, or worse is below the mortgage amount you could have an issue alright but if that's the case, maybe you should re-consider if you're over-paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

ongarite wrote: »
    2K for solicitor fees, another 200 for valuation report, 500 for surveyor if 2nd hand property.

In my experience, 2k would cover a sale, there is more involved in a purchase, I'd budget 3k for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pleh

Snipp wrote: »

We got a reply the same day. Not being funny but no answer is an answer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sweetaure wrote: »
    It depends on the EA and the vendor. We have an offer on a house, put to the EA yesterday, I haven’t heard back and I’ll have to ring him to get an answer as he won’t ring me. Vendor wants to wait and get as much as he can, instead of indicating a minimum. Very frustrating for us.

When we sold our house, in December, we got 4 offers, 3 of which we rejected, and and we always got back to our EA on the same day, and she told the potential purchasers straight away (or so she told us).

Suppose it's a sellers market, I find certain EAs just as lazy as **""# when you're buying. They're probably all grand if they're selling your property as it's a 1 to 1 relationship.

I don't get it though. I wanted to put a bid on a property since Friday and just get secretary who says to send an email and they'll ring you back! I suspect they might just pick one day for one or two properties then do all the horse trading with phone calls that day. Also if they leave it for one specific day per week they can stop all the tyre kicking and small bidding and daily phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Hi all,

I want to put a bid on a second hand property. Let's say I do Win the bidding.
    How does it work afterwards? Is there like booking deposit so 5k for example?
    Do I put full deposit straight away? So let's say 30k?
    I have solicitor enrolled.

Thank you,

Advertisement