Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Headset for PPL beginner

• 16-02-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

My son is starting his ppl lessons and is looking to get a headset. Of course for a newbie, it's hard to know what to look for and where. He's aware of Pooleys but is there anywhere else (preferably in the Euro zone) that anyone can recommend to get one? Is there any brand or feature that he should particularly favour? Are they the kind of thing that can be got second hand in serviceable condition?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are many makes available, and I've not looked for quite some time at what's out there, but I would strongly recommend that he give consideration to getting an active noise cancelling headset, it will make things a lot easier, and also be a help in protecting his hearing from what can be significant noise levels over a prolonged period of time. Yes, they are dearer than the "standard" headsets, but he only has one pair of ears, and if they get damaged, and flying does not help in that respect, life becomes a lot more complicated. This could be even more significant if he has aspirations to go into commercial flying in the future.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Try https://www.aeroshop.eu/en/headsets.html

David Clark would be one of the most popular you'll see.
    As per Steve's advice, active noise cancelling is preferable but very expensive. I wouldn't be put off getting a 'standard' headset though, especially for someone starting out.

David Clark headsets and their counterparts are like the 3M ear defenders in terms of ear protection anyway. Engineers, who stand outside the aircraft with jet engines running, use David Clarks and are exposed to much higher decibels than pilots (though for a shorter time so it's not quite comparable). The real advantage to active noise cancelling is that you don't need to have the radios turned up as much to overcome the background noise, which in the long run is obviously the better option.

Your son can treat himself to a noise cancelling headset in a couple of years time if he sticks with it.

I played the drums in loud rock bands (often, much to my shame now, without ear protection) for almost 15 years before I started flying and my hearing is fine. Your sons hearing won't suffer if he's using a good quality headset for a year or two.
    You can of course find second hand headsets and they will most likely be just fine, but of course there's no guarantee and it's a case of buyer beware as you won't be able to try it until you get into an airplane.

Just also be sure to get a headset with a GA connection (twin jack) as that is what you'll need for light aircraft.

Bare in mind that cheaper headsets are often uncomfortable over longer periods of wearing, often having a plasticy head band and a 'clamp' effect that will annoy. My choice would be https://www.aeroshop.eu/en/headsets/david-clark/david-clark-h10-13-4-headset.html
    Get a case to store them in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

Noise cancelling headsets are great, I use one myself, but definitely wouldn’t be buying one for a beginner. You’d want to be flying a lot to justify the expense of it. I’d recommend a David Clark, I’ve used them for many years with no problems. We’ve picked up a couple for our club second hand from adverts.ie over the years. A very quick search shows this as recently listed https://www.adverts.ie/22921911.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

My set of David Clarks are 22 years old and have never had an issue. You will not go wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Another vote for David Clark - solid headset, won't break the bank. Go for the H10-13.4. Always worth a few hundred quid second hand if he ever wants to go down the route of noise cancelling.

You might be lucky enough to pick one up second hand, you can buy all the stuff to overhaul them easily, new ear seals, head pad, even the leads are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Another vote for David Clark - solid headset, won't break the bank. Go for the H10-13.4. Always worth a few hundred quid second hand if he ever wants to go down the route of noise cancelling.

You might be lucky enough to pick one up second hand, you can buy all the stuff to overhaul them easily, new ear seals, head pad, even the leads are available.

I bought a Sigtronics S20 headset as a starter set for $144 from Sportys back in 2008. Still working perfectly, though I did need to change the gel ear pads. It's not noise-cancelling but I really have no issues with noise in the cockpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the only snag with Davy Clarks is the "grip of death" on your head, but they are tough and hard wearing and will do the job just fi
    ne.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

I have an old pair of Sennheisers that did me all the way through to ATPL a few years ago that I’d be happy to donate. Can’t remember the model but they’ve got the blue ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

JDWW wrote: »
    I have an old pair of Sennheisers that did me all the way through to ATPL a few years ago that I’d be happy to donate. Can’t remember the model but they’ve got the blue ears.

Wow, seriously? That'd be awesome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Wow, seriously? That'd be awesome, thanks.

No problem at all, hopefully your son can put the money to an extra hour in the aircraft. If you PM me we can sort it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement