Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tsitsipas gets one back

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Rafa had a serious malfunction in the tie breaker there, Tsitsipas has steadied up a bit after his very poor first two sets.

Similar pattern emerging to when he played Djokovic is the French Semi - Djokovic looked in complete control in the first two sets there but let the third set slip and it ended up being a long 5 setter.

Going to a 5th amazingly. Tsitsipas' radar finally dialled in, Nadal has his hands full now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tsitsipas is cruising now, favourite for me at the moment

He got something like 6 games off Nadal in Aus Open semi last year, promising progress even f he loses here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭josip

12 years age difference today.
    Only 10 years between Zverev and Djokovic yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nadal's tactic of ekeing out as much time as possible lining up to serve has backfired for him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I know an Extremely Injured Serbian who'll be happy with that result!

Hopefully we'll get a new champion, but probably not to be.

wow, has anyone beaten Nadal in a slam from two sets down before?

Extremely well done by Tsitsipas to hang in there before taking control in the last two sets. Him v Medvedev will be a belter.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lostcat wrote: »

Extremely well done by Tsitsipas to hang in there before taking control in the last two sets. Him v Medvedev will be a belter.

Once, Fognini at the 2015 Us Open.

• Advertisement

I know an Extremely Injured Serbian who'll be happy with that result!

Hopefully we'll get a new champion, but probably not to be.

I disagree, he would have been happier seeing Nadal - whom he usually gets the better of in Austrailia - than a big hitting young fella. I think its open enough at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

lostcat wrote: »

Fognini in US about 5/6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Fair play to Tsitsipas.
    He upped his game those last two sets and deserved the win.

Rafa will regret that tie-break.

I hope he recovers in time for the semi, but I have a feeling Medvedeev will beat him quite easily. It can often be hard for these guys after beating one of the big three to focus on the next match

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Massive result either way for Medvedev and novak. If Nadal had won in three it would be a much different semi final prospect. Although both the won have preferred a Nadal win once it went to five. Nadal will kick himself for that third set tie breaker.

Tsitsipas looked much fresher at the end. He was exceptional in the 4th and 5th set. His approach and attitude was night and day compared to Zvererev yesterday. Really hoping he pushes on from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Absolutely fantastic result !!!
    As for Nadal been beaten from 2/0 up at slam level, I believe Cilic did the same to him in AO 2018, and Del Potro in US 2018.

Could be wrong though, I have not goggled it - happy to be corrected.

So happy, I can enjoy the rest of the tournament now :)
    I like Djokovic but I also like these new fine yong fellas !! can't wait for Tsitsipas Medvedev, whatever happens I'm happy, hopefully it goes to 5 sets !!

Oh I lost my bet, could have won €130 - BOO F*CKING HOO!!!

Tsitsipas will have a lot of crowd support for his semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolutely fantastic result !!!
    As for Nadal been beaten from 2/0 up at slam level, I believe Cilic did the same to him in AO 2018, and Del Potro in US 2018.

Could be wrong though, I have not goggled it - happy to be corrected.

So happy, I can enjoy the rest of the tournament now :)
    I like Djokovic but I also like these new fine yong fellas !! can't wait for Tsitsipas Medvedev, whatever happens I'm happy, hopefully it goes to 5 sets !!

Oh I lost my bet, could have won €130 - BOO F*CKING HOO!!!

You're wrong again on Nadal...

I knew he would not win this slam

And he won't win RG either...

Nole will not win this slam...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

walshb wrote: »

Would love to see Tsitsipas win now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Would love to see Tsitsipas win now!
    Same here, very exciting brand of tennis, reminds me of Fed - and not just because of the BH. He kind of glides around the court, and has an attacking style. Unfortunately, I can see Medvedev taking him out next round though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would be happy to see either Tsitsipas or Medvedev take it. I fancied Zverev to choke against Djokovic because... Zverev, but if Djokovic is still injured on Sunday and manages to win it will be seriously disappointing.

• Advertisement

Food for thought there.
    Up to now I'd been impressed with how Nadal was able to win every match in straight sets.
    But after today I'm beginning to think he knows he has to win in straight sets. (he's won 35 consecutive sets in GS before today)
    Between injuries and age, he knows he can no longer go toe to toe over 5 sets.
    But who can take Nadal to a 4th set in RG? From what we've seen in Melbourne it won't be Thiem.

Djokovic on the other hand, doesn't seem to have that fear of the 4th or 5th set yet. But he's not going to be seriously challenging Nadal at RG anyway.
    So I still think Nadal has RG this year, if/whenever it goes ahead.

People get a bit carried away with Nadal having a couple of good early wins in Australia every year and them the Nadal aura takes over...fact is he has been beaten here by someone every year except one, and that was in 2009...this just isn't his slam.

its a bit of an extrapolation to say it means he won't win the French, it usually means the opposite!

Would like to see Tsitsipas get to his first final but Medvedev is becoming very hard to beat. His game isn't easy on the eye (to my untrained eye he looks like he is taking a 'good swing' at evert shot) but he is bloody effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,520 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He could win RG playing right handed.

Ah now come on , RG is Nadals, for the next 3 years minimum!

Same here, very exciting brand of tennis, reminds me of Fed - and not just because of the BH. He kind of glides around the court, and has an attacking style. Unfortunately, I can see Medvedev taking him out next round though..

Medvedev on fire, I see him as favourite for the tournament now..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Only chance of Nadal not winning RG is if it doesn't go ahead. It was only a few months ago he steamrolled the entire tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

You'd he a brave man to back against Nadal at RG. As said above, austrailia has never been his strong suit. In way of that, he still should have wrapped up that third set tie breaker and then we would all be waxing lyrical about him. I don't think he would have made it past Medvedev or djok though.

There's no one close to him on clay in reality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

josip wrote: »
    Food for thought there.
    Up to now I'd been impressed with how Nadal was able to win every match in straight sets.
    But after today I'm beginning to think he knows he has to win in straight sets. (he's won 35 consecutive sets in GS before today)
    Between injuries and age, he knows he can no longer go toe to toe over 5 sets.
    But who can take Nadal to a 4th set in RG? From what we've seen in Melbourne it won't be Thiem.

Djokovic on the other hand, doesn't seem to have that fear of the 4th or 5th set yet. But he's not going to be seriously challenging Nadal at RG anyway.
    So I still think Nadal has RG this year, if/whenever it goes ahead.

I actually thought he looked tired at the start of the third. He made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes too. It must have helped ST having a walkover in the previous round.

He could win RG playing right handed.

he actually is naturally right handed!

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    I actually thought he looked tired at the start of the third. He made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes too. It must have helped ST having a walkover in the previous round.

Maybe having a bye is why it took him a while to find his range.

Advertisement