Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I listened to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The Irish Defense Forces podcast is worth a listen if only to find out about the new aircraft that were delivered this year.

Listened to a 2 minute trailer for Wild Thing from 2018. It's about the search for bigfoot/Sasquatches. Looks like there's more episodes since, on UFOs - going by the feed. I'll try the bigfoot stuff anyway.

imo most of these types of podcasts are so light on facts of any sort that they end up being complete rubbish to listen to

like when these guys covered that sort of stuff

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/how-stuff-works/stuff-they-dont-want-you-to-know-22691

(recent listing seems to be possibly more quantifiable but I gave up because it was nothing but a load of hot air)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Over the past couple of days I listened to The Dollop's 2-parter on Ronald Reagan.

Now I understand where "voodoo" economics came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

"Jamie carragher the greatest game "

Wouldn't be gone on carragher on punditry but enjoyed his interview with Ricky Hatton. I see he has Ryan giggs interview up from last week so that should be good too for sports fans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Radiolab: The Flag and the Fury from July.

From the town hall: "I work with Blacks...and I've several friends who are Black"

Pretty fiery, as you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The Nobody Zone is back with a few follow up episodes. It got good publicity on RTÉ and I really liked it.

It’s about an Irish guy who moved to London on the 50s and became homeless and destitute and may (or may not) have become a serial killer, killing other homeless people.

Really good story and well told.

The new episodes pick up with additional info which has come to light as a result of the podcast series. It’s only 6 episodes and there are an additional 3. Well worth a listen.

Episode 1 here:
    https://overcast.fm/+XrLhVhpy8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Have started listening to Something Rhymes With Purple. A podcast about words with Susie Dent and Gyles Brandreth.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Last 2 episodes of the Nobody Zone are worth a listen

Tommy Tiernan’s podcast is pretty random but also worth a listen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've been binging "Murder Most Irish" over the last month or two. I've listened to all the episodes.Its two women discussing Irish murders.It's great to hear local crimes being talked about because most of them I hadn't been aware of. It has the same feature that puts a lot of people of podcasts rambling and talking about nothing for the start of the episode but I like the two of them and it feels nice to hear casual chat when I'm stuck at home in lock down. The episodes are generally 60-90 minutes.

I've also gotten stuck into "The Creep Dive" its three Irish women and they each pick a story to tell on the episode.They pick the unusual or weird stories that would usually suck you in on Wikipedia and they do the deep diving so you don't have to. I find I have to google a lot of the stuff they talk about because it really intrigues me. I'm only listening to their 2018 stuff at the moment because I'm starting from the beginning. It is a true crime podcast but its not exclusively so.It can be any weird story . The episodes are generally 60-90 minutes.

• Advertisement

Radiolab had one called Sight Unseen, originally from 2015 or so, but came up again in January. It's the story of Time photographer Lynsey Addario was embedded with a medevac team in Afghanistan. She was there when a US soldier died and became about whether the photos would be published and all that. She ending up talking to the family. Quite poignant, I thought.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/sight-unseen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm absolutely loving "No Such Thing As A Fish". Started listening to the Tommy Tiernan podcast (the one with just him) and I find him absolutely fascinating. He's definitely gone up in my ranks hundredfold between his talk show and his podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving "No Such Thing As A Fish". Started listening to the Tommy Tiernan podcast (the one with just him) and I find him absolutely fascinating. He's definitely gone up in my ranks hundredfold between his talk show and his podcast.

Is it related to the book of the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Am currently listening to the Irish History podcast. Cant recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

fixXxer wrote: »
    Is it related to the book of the same name?

Yep! 4 of the QI elves basically telling what fact they learned that week. 15 or so minutes talking about each fact, generally. If you like QI / British comedy panel shows, you'll love it.

It's really interesting and often, absolutely hilarious. If I were you I'd listen to episode 342 "No Such Thing As A Presidential Fight Club" as soon as possible. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tried listening to Fake doctors real friends with Zach Braff & Donald Faison where they talk about scrubs but have up as Donald is just way to loud and annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tried listening to Fake doctors real friends with Zach Braff & Donald Faison where they talk about scrubs but have up as Donald is just way to loud and annoying

God I loved scrubs back in the day but Zach Braff really grated on me as I got older, the whole using Kickstarter to fund a movie didn’t sit well with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Started listening to Power:the maxwells about Robert Maxwell and his family.

It’s an incredible story, only a few episodes in but already gripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

steve_r wrote: »
    God I loved scrubs back in the day but Zach Braff really grated on me as I got older, the whole using Kickstarter to fund a movie didn’t sit well with me

I do love scrubs but can't unsee JD if i see Zach Braff in anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Just finished "The Battersea Poltergeist" on BBC sounds.

Don't know what to make of it, but a very strange story. Worth a listen.

Irish angle too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cml387 wrote: »

Irish angle too.

I just started listening to it! There was an ad on another bbc4 podcast (might have been the infinite monkey cage). First episode was good. Nice storytelling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

cml387 wrote: »

Irish angle too.

Just finished this. It's well made but utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Just finished this. It's well made but utterly ridiculous.

It was entertaining as a human interest story. Enjoyed the dramatic Irish granny!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Arbie wrote: »
    It was entertaining as a human interest story. Enjoyed the dramatic Irish granny!

Sorcha Cusack was the Irish Granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoying the Louis theroux grounded podcast.
    The ones with Chris O Dowd (they are friends) and Justin Theroux (friends and cousins) were especially fun

Back listening to Real Dictators. Excellently researched and presented as always, and they've taken the main criticism on board by going into more depth about each tyrant. 4 episodes so far about Hitler, and I'd expect at least 4 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Back listening to Real Dictators. Excellently researched and presented as always, and they've taken the main criticism on board by going into more depth about each tyrant. 4 episodes so far about Hitler, and I'd expect at least 4 more.

It's a brilliant podcast, and yeah, the hitler one has been great so far

Alan Alda's podcast with Sue Black, forensic anthropologist. She worked on some of the horrors of Kosovo.

Quite a character. Hard not to compare her to Dr Marie Cassidy, a fellow Scot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

Electronically Yours with Martyn Ware Martyn was in the original Human League and then Heaven 17. After listening to him for a while, you can understand why Martyn was ousted from the Human League in favour of a couple of schoolgirls 🤣 Still, his chats with (mostly) 80s pop stars are worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I listened to the "Boy in Photo" episode of Reply All today. Really one of the best individual episodes of any podcast I've listened to. What a rollercoaster.

Advertisement