Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Enjoy Being an Alcoholic!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That said, did I miss my habit? Yes.

Did my sleep become disturbed? Yes.

I suppose that's natural.

Having drunk incessantly each evening over the past couple of years, this is natural I suppose and to be expected.

It's really foolish to just stop drinking cold turkey like that, you should taper off and reduce slowly rather than abruptly stopping but hey ho maybe too late.

It sounds like you need hobbies and other addictions to get obsessed with or to work on yourself and find out why you are so blasse about your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's really foolish to just stop drinking cold turkey like that, you should taper off and reduce slowly rather than abruptly stopping but hey ho maybe too late.

more complete BS, ignore OP, but I think you are that level headed anyway to know it yourself.

tara73 wrote: »
    more complete BS, ignore OP, but I think you are that level headed anyway to know it yourself.

The lad was drinking 42 cans a week. If he doesn't taper then the withdrawal will be difficult. If you drink more than 15 units of alcohol every day then you should taper off to mitigate symptoms but of course you know that as you go around pronouncing everyone else's advice BS so you must be an g.p.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The lad was drinking 42 cans a week. If he doesn't taper then the withdrawal will be difficult. If you drink more than 15 units of alcohol every day then you should taper off to mitigate symptoms but of course you know that as you go around pronouncing everyone else's advice BS so you must be an g.p.

woa, are you getting anything? It's about your advice to reduce the alcohol step by step and not going off it from one day to another. why do you comment here if you don't even have basic knowledge of drug abuse and trying to get out of it?

It's not only with alcohol, but with almost every drug to go off it complelety and not tapering out! With tranquilizer addiction for example you taper out, but not with alcohol!

tara73 wrote: »
    woa, are you getting anything? It's about your advice to reduce the alcohol step by step and not going off it from one day to another. why do you comment here if you don't even have basic knowledge of drug abuse and trying to get out of it?

It's not only with alcohol, but with almost every drug to go off it complelety and not tapering out! With tranquilizer addiction for example you taper out, but not with alcohol!

That's simply not true, stopping drinking alcohol abruptly without planning to reduce with the end goal of stopping can cause severe withdrawal symptoms. I have a family member who died as a result of their addiction so I don't need to be patronised by you. The OP should phone his g.p for advice and for a general health check i.e. bloods etc., and stop listening to every joe soap on here tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As a recovering alcoholic - 2 years fully sober now - I think I should know a little bit about alcoholism and alcohol dependency.

For someone who is alcohol dependent, and I think given the level of drinking the OP is doing, they are clearly within or very close to that category, it can be very, very dangerous to come straight off alcohol in one go as the body reacts to alcohol withdrawal via seizures, delirium tremens, high blood pressure, panic attacks etc.

OP - please go straight to your GP and seek proper medical advice. You may need a detox via medication and monitoring. You can also just go to A&E where they will assess you at triage and determine what course of action to take.

JupiterKid wrote: »

For someone who is alcohol dependent, and I think given the level of drinking the OP is doing, they are clearly within or very close to that category, it can be very, very dangerous to come straight off alcohol in one go as the body reacts to alcohol withdrawal via seizures, delirium tremens, high blood pressure, panic attacks etc.

OP - please go straight to your GP and seek proper medical advice. You may need a detox via medication and monitoring. You can also just go to A&E where they will assess you at triage and determine what course of action to take.

so as someone with alcohol dpendent experience, would you recommend for an alcoholic to taper off with alcohol? because that was the dispute we were having and the other poster suggested, not whether going to the GP/A&E is recommended or not.

I never would dispute visiting the GP or even A&E to help with medication if withdrawel symptoms are that bad, quite the opposite, as I adviced in one of my earlier posts to the OP to seek help if he has the feeling he won't make it on his own.

• Administrators Posts: 14,385 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think it is impossible for an alcoholic to 'taper off'. If someone is dependent on alcohol and under the control of alcohol then its usually a case of all-or-nothing. Its not like they can limit themselves. OP, you will have to judge for yourself if your dependence is a physical one.

My husband is what I'd call an alcoholic. He drank far more than you did/do (but he's 20 years further down the road than you are). He was issued with an ultimatum last year and he stopped drinking. He didn't need any assistance in stopping. He didn't need medication. He didn't have any obvious withdrawals. He just stopped.

My friend's mother has been an alcoholic for 30+ years and she decided she needed to stop before Christmas. She HAD TO get help from her GP. Her physical addiction to it was very strong and she did suffer withdrawals.

Keep an eye on yourself. You know your body better than anyone. If you think you're not an alcoholic and can cut down your intake to the recommended limits then that's great. If you find you can't do that and you keep wanting that bit more then you have to accept you can't cut down, or taper off. You have to stop.

A chat with your GP is always a good idea. Even to guide you in the direction of counselling if they or you feel it would be beneficial.

I hope you're doing OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I took up hurling in 2012 or so and one of the reasons I did was to have something to do in the evenings other than drinking. I wasn't drinking as much as the op, but there were certainly days I'd pick up a six pack on the way home because I'd no plans. I was probably drinking more days midweek than not, sometimes 2-3 cans, sometimes a bottle of wine and a couple of cans. Definitely too much. I was young so didn't put on much weight, didn't struggle to make work, but i knew it wasn't healthy.

Hurling was particularly good as an alternative. I trained twice a week and generally wouldn't be in a mood to drink after training. And as I got a little older I found if I drank the day before training I'd find it very tough. So that was 4 where I was likely to drink gone. Add in a match every second weekend and it would be another 2 days each fortnight. And it helped break the habit overall.

I know "find a hobby" sounds like a bit of a cliche, but I was probably doing something similar to you, found a hobby and it was a big part in me changing.

Best of luck op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

I think you can taper. These guys explain it pretty well. https://hams.cc/taper/. Anyway its best to go to your GP to be honest about how much you are drinking and they can make an assessment on what you need to get through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

No need for people to argue on here - is there? it seems that different methods work for different people.. depending on their situation..

In any event, I definitely think a visit to the GP should be the 1st port of call..

Hope your doing ok OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is unusual perhaps, but I drink maybe 6-cans a night - and have done so quite extensively over the past few years. I'm in my late 20s, too, and do try to balance alcohol intake with a very good diet and extensive exercise.

The problem is this: that I enjoy drinking alcohol at night. I know many people get depressed and drink because they are sad or responding to stress or some other negative reason, but I have no reason at all to be depressed. I have quite a good life and I don't have anything bad going on.

I make over 120,000 per year, so affording beers each night isn't much of an issue either.

At least when someone is depressed, there is a clear path toward quitting alcohol. It's almost easier I suppose. But I'm drinking it because I enjoy it, in the same way, a smoker (I don't smoke) enjoys the act of smoking even with the full knowledge of the damage it can do.

It's a bit of a Catch-22.

I know it can cause long-term damage, but I enjoy it in the short-term.

Also, many people would classify my drinking habit like that of an "alcoholic", even though, as I said, I'm quite a positive, upbeat, and hard-working individual.

But I could be fooling myself. Hence why I've offered to throw this out for legitimate critique and to analyze your interpretation of what some might consider a bad habit.

Thanks in advance for any replies received.
    I don't know if you are an alcoholic or not.

Maybe people enjoy doing things to excess like it wouldn't be worth having just two cans.

The only thing i can suggest ...is maybe become a connoisseur rather than a gourmand who will drink anything.

This thing called self care ..its very romanticized ...often its not doing thins we like at all but the opposite.

Ask a doctor what your recommended intake should be. Ask him to look you over etc.

If you are a true alcoholic ....i think you need expert advice.

Do you think you can drink ...without drinking to excess and still enjoy it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck OP. I gave it up last June, said I'd had enough. Sounds tough with people not working, no where open, but as you go on, it gets easier.

Advertisement