Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Rugby regain the attention of underage players?

Options
  • 16-02-2021 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭

Not looking like there will be any amateur age grade rugby this season.
    There was small amount at the start of this season and teams/players may have played a max of 2/3 games.
    Combined with last season ending early.
    How can the IRFU/clubs/schools address this and stop the drop out rate increasing even more at the key ages that usually see large numbers dropping out.
    ie 13/14 years of age and 18-21.

There is far too many "lost youth" from the sport.

This kind of comes from this article with Conor O Shea and there were another quote or two from him today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/16/conor-oshea-our-job-is-to-identify-great-players-not-stocking-fillers-rfu-england

"Never mind the Six Nations: re-engaging rugby’s “lost” youth should be every administrator’s top priority. The late developers at university or college outside the academy system in danger of being lost to the game"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭theVersatile

18 - 21 will have the same drop out as always. Its the nature of going off to college and enjoying the good life above playing a sport which a lot of then might not have even enjoyed that much to begin with.

In my experience, numbers tend to increase, not decrease, around 13s and 14s due to mixing in secondary schools and more kids becoming interested in playing. I reckon they'll all be mad for a bit of action by the time the lock down is over, it won't take too much encouragement to bring them back out. They'll be crazy for a bit of sport, meeting the friends again, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

18 - 21 will have the same drop out as always. Its the nature of going off to college and enjoying the good life above playing a sport which a lot of then might not have even enjoyed that much to begin with.

In my experience, numbers tend to increase, not decrease, around 13s and 14s due to mixing in secondary schools and more kids becoming interested in playing. I reckon they'll all be mad for a bit of action by the time the lock down is over, it won't take too much encouragement to bring them back out. They'll be crazy for a bit of sport, meeting the friends again, etc etc.
    Stats dont back that up from what ERSI discovered.in studies.
    https://www.the42.ie/irfu-player-participation-rugby-dropoff-1469048-May2014/

18-21 isnt helped by the structure of the sport in many places in Ireland. College, work see's a drop off in most sports but it isnt helped by structures in rugby

The numbers in mini's especially 11s/12s far higher than 13s and 14s. They dont increase if you look at clubs numbers with minis and then how many 13s/14s teams that are fielded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Interesting - I must give that a read tomorrow. I'll comment when I'm better informed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Interesting - I must give that a read tomorrow. I'll comment when I'm better informed.

This is the first time I've read this sentence on the internet. Respect.

Should there be any changes to next seasons competitions or a summer series of some kind be put in place as some will only have played 3/4 games of rugby in 18 months if rugby doesnt start back until next september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

There was a good article on this topic in the Examiner recently:

Kieran Shannon: What lessons can schools and club rugby take from lockdowns?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40221629.html

Zeugnis wrote: »
    There was a good article on this topic in the Examiner recently:

Kieran Shannon: What lessons can schools and club rugby take from lockdowns?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40221629.html

Good article. Doesnt go enough into what these coaches would like see happen or in case of Murphy what he would do to try keep more of these schools players playing into their mid to late 20s or even early 20s in many cases

Advertisement