Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes anyone?

Options
  • 16-02-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

This being Shrove Tuesday, when they used to use up all rich foods before the fasting of Lent... aka Pancake Day..

Mine will be simple... just delicious batter and a little sugar; should have lemons but the storm prevented supplies getting over so orange will be fine..

I am sure you will be more inventive....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Peanut butter and jam for me, might have one line of nutella to bring it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Mix it up:

Chocolate spread
    Lemon

Some savoury - chilli and cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I see a jar of Nutella has appeared in one of the cupboards. I may venture out for a "essential" can of whipped cream later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mushrooms in soured cream

maple syrup

What kind of pancake does everyone do?

I can't stomach the thin ones from my youth so I'll do fluffy American style ones no too dissimilar to these

Nice, I just found blueberries in the kitchen too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Crème de Marrons (chestnut spread) for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Strawberry, banana and walnut for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Maple Syrup with some lemon juice and maybe some castor sugar :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

theteal wrote: »

I can't stomach the thin ones from my youth so I'll do fluffy American style ones no too dissimilar to these

Yeah I love the fluffy pancakes too, I make them with buttermilk! Trick is to let the batter rest for a while and also don't overmix. Once the flour is incorporated you're good, lumps are fine!

One thing thats bugging me and maybe someone can advise... I don't like doing one at a time because it takes ages, but when I try to do three, of course they run into each other and stick. I can get them apart but then they aren't round and perfect anymore! I gave up last week and just did giant ones but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to stop three amalgamating into one in the pan? I don't have any non-plastic scone cutters which I guess would definitely do the job as a mould. Can anyone thing of anything else I can try? Maybe I could fashion a mould from tin foil?

Such a minor issue, isn't it nice to have something trivial to complain about for once!

Also edit to say maple syrup for me, I use pancakes as an excuse to basically drink the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

theteal wrote: »

Dinner plate size, all rolled up after the filling is spread... A happy childhood memory of eating them carefully in both hands.. we only ever had the lemon juice and sugar and that tradition and memory has a special... taste.... for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

To stop them running into each other make them slightly thicker so don't flow as much, little extra flour, I love what I had on hols in US when I was a kid and the little silver dollar ones as they were called, about 1.5" across. I make loads on a flat pan, once the mix is a bit thicker they don't flow.

Graces7 I always have some lemon juice in the freezer, I had 4 little sections of an ice cube bag left so took out 2 of those for my pancakes :) I buy lemons when on offer, grate off zest and freeze that and juice them and freeze the juice too, very handy! I'll use my other 2 cubes for my fish tomorrow.

phormium wrote: »
    To stop them running into each other make them slightly thicker so don't flow as much, little extra flour, I love what I had on hols in US when I was a kid and the little silver dollar ones as they were called, about 1.5" across. I make loads on a flat pan, once the mix is a bit thicker they don't flow.

Yup, thick but pourable. I get 3 to a pan. I've been that busy today that I actually forgot about it :P

Now, for the weirdest thing you may hear today, my 4 yr old is adamant that her favourite are cucumber pancakes :confused: I'll take pics later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve become one of them. One of the people who makes pancakes this way. Just add milk. I always disdainfully walked past that display to pick up my flour and eggs and milk but now I understand. I UNDERSTAND.

This year, I’m depleted from health problems and the treatments that go with them. I’m even too tired to instruct my husband on how to make pancakes.

But I woke up this morning and thought “There is no way we are not having pancakes on Pancake Tuesday” and so ready-mix it is. And I will enjoy every last pancake it makes. :) And I will never again judge. Some people ARE being lazy. But some people really need that ready-mix. Kind of like when my granny in her later years used to buy pre-chopped turnips because she loved turnips but wasn’t strong enough to cut them herself.

0216-B4-C3-39-D8-4261-A862-0115729-AD2-FB.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Banana and nutella.
    And then a lemon and sugar one for tradition.
    Not gonna lie..they were my dinner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭sporina

i prefer the fluffy type ones - we have some from M&S - will have em with some jam later... would prefer nutella but we didn't get any... didn't wanna be left with a jar of it in the house,.. trying to reduce my sugar intake as it is..

I’ve become one of them. One of the people who makes pancakes this way. Just add milk. I always disdainfully walked past that display to pick up my flour and eggs and milk but now I understand. I UNDERSTAND.

This year, I’m depleted from health problems and the treatments that go with them. I’m even too tired to instruct my husband on how to make pancakes.

But I woke up this morning and thought “There is no way we are not having pancakes on Pancake Tuesday” and so ready-mix it is. And I will enjoy every last pancake it makes. :) And I will never again judge. Some people ARE being lazy. But some people really need that ready-mix. Kind of like when my granny in her later years used to buy pre-chopped turnips because she loved turnips but wasn’t strong enough to cut them herself.

*photo of crappy pancake mix*

That batter mix was DREADFUL. I had to give up on it. :( Pancakes kept sticking despite experiments with heat and type and amount of cooking fat, not even any bubbling to let you when to turn them, just awful. I’m SO disappointed. At least I now know that making your own is the only way. But that won’t be tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Awww no!
    Such a disappointment when you needed a quick fix

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Awww no!
    Such a disappointment when you needed a quick fix

I’m actually shocked at how crappy it was. It’s a pretty simple thing, ya know?

You know, I was looking at the plain flour in the shop earlier thinking “Maybe I’ll manage”. My husband is buying me the ingredients tomorrow so we’re having Pancake Wednesday. I’m very determined!

The batter not bubbling on the pan was vaguely unsettling...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Piping hot with a layer of cool strawberries topped with fresh cream for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Pancakes for dinner in this house :)
    Lovely fluffy American style pancakes, Jack & Eddie's sausages, good bacon, roasted baby plum tomatoes, maple syrup - bliss.
    Couple of pancakes left for tomorrow's breakfast too: winning!

I discovered yesterday that warm blueberry pancakes with chocolate sauce are pretty savage.

We convinced herself to forego the cucumber

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pancakes pancakes every weekend, shrove Tuesday means nada

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

0216-B4-C3-39-D8-4261-A862-0115729-AD2-FB.jpg?dl=1

Oh I agree fully! I am never to the shops in person which limits me but now the thought of turnips! Not had them for years.

Pancakes I can manage still...

I hope you enjoyed! Sadly I started a migraine that day so never got a pancake! But so enjoyed the thread..

Advertisement