Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Sweepers [Netflix]

Options
  • 15-02-2021 11:08am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I flagged it in the Netflix Recommendations thread, but I thought I'd break it out, just for those looking for a bit of space opera adventure in this barren year for blockbusters.

A Korean film, though with a fairly international cast (albeit exhibiting that eternal problem of dreadful foreign actors in Asian productions), and while there's not an original bone in this film's body, there's more than enough fun and charisma to keep the film going. The FX are decent, the gags often landed and made me chuckle, and even the emotional beats worked for me. Heck, I cheered when the film thought I should.

A good summer film, released in February, after a year devoid of blockbusters.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That looks kinda fun.

Considering I re-watched Anaconda over the weekend I'm in the market for some new content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I enjoyed it. It reminded me of something like Serenity (the Firefly movie from 06, not the recent Anne Hathaway movie) with that blue collar space adventure look and setting, and the little guys somewhat reluctantly up against a powerful and immoral villain nature of the plot. It passed the time one evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Thought this was surprisingly enjoyable. The main cast were likeable, the SFX (both sets and CGI) were really very well done and the overall plot was good (
    as someone with a 3 year old daughter, I found some of it hard to watch with dry eyes
    ).

My main complaints would be that most of the secondary actors were not particularly good at all and the villain was kind of one dimensional.
    Did it explain why his veins kept turning dark when he got angry? I know it showed him with biotech inside to explain how he was 150 years old, but was the idea supposed to be that the tech was making him more extreme, hence the veins coloring?

Crazy how it only cost $21 million dollars to make, given how good it looks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$21 million? That's insane; sure some of the green-screen was a tiny bit ropey, but I've watched dozens of Hollywood films with 5+ times that budget yet worse FX. You can have it cheap, fast or good, but you gotta pick 2: maybe, in this case, the production picked cheap & good? :D

Agree about the bad-guy being one dimensional, that was the one big flaw for me; perhaps there was context lost on the cutting room floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

That was pretty entertaining and surprisingly emotional! I can definitely see the criticism regarding the villain but the main cast were likeable and had a decent amount of humour in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I posted in the Netflix thread about this one, but I really enjoyed it. Good design, decent FX and great charismatic cast, that completely overcome the fact that it's nothing you haven't seen before ten times over.

Well worth a watch, really liked it, almost wish I could've seen it in the cinema. It is the perfect "popcorn" film and I don't mean that to take away from it, more think in the vein of watching a Marvel movie, just pure entertainment in the best sense of the word.

It's not Citizen Kane but it's a solid way to invest two hours of your life.

However I do agree on the villian, while I think he hammed it up pretty well, there were so many questions that went completely unanswered, and even at 2hr20 it's long enough for a film of its ilk - I wonder was there considerable material left out in the final edit, because there were even certain things said by aforementioned villain that seemed like they were missing context.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

I enjoyed this for what it was. Definitely a bit surprised with some emotion coming across. Found it hard to believe the vilian, kept hearing Thorin Oakenshield. My recent re-watch of the hobbit didn't help there.

Advertisement