Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

Zverev has the break in the 3rd set

Djokovic now on his 2nd racquet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Disaster for Zvererev being a break up and lost ng that set within 4 odd games.

Augme wrote: »
    Disaster for Zvererev being a break up and lost ng that set within 4 odd games.

He's not finished yet, he's broken in the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Zerev is out on his feet.djkovic Looking fitter and stronger than zerev. Could you imagine if he didn't have an abdominal tear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Djokovic should win from here. Massive incentive for both is playing Aslan in the semi-final

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Zverev should just retire now, he'll never win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Zverev should just retire now, he'll never win anything.

There was a time when people said similar of Djokovic,

ballyargus wrote: »
    There was a time when people said similar of Djokovic,

Still applies.
    I can't see him beating Nadal if they were to meet in the final which would put Nadal on 21 and Djokovic stuck on 17.
    What's the point of it all if you can't be the GOAT or even the SGOAT? :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fast forwarded through most of the match, but looked like Zverev was as passive as ever on a lot of the key moments? Not sorry to see him out either way.

It's great to see valiant soldier Djokovic hobbling his way through the draw despite this injury. A nice injury to have really, one that doesn't appear in any way visible or to hinder his performance in any way.

Halep-Serena was very disappointing. Seems in the first set Halep was simply happy to try prolong the rallies and didn't try to get Serena on the move at all, which is key to beating her nowadays. Coupled with the fact she only held serve twice (I think) throughout the match, she was on a road to nowhere really.

Osaka-Serena SF it is then, Osaka should be the favourite for that one, but I just wonder if Osaka holds Serena in too high an esteem, if that makes sense. I sometimes think she's not as motivated to beat her as she is others, which I know sounds like a weird thing to say when she's won two of their three matches. Will be interesting to see how she handles this one, it's the first time she'll be such a firm favourite to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think for the ladies side I now want Barty to beat Serena in the final. I don't want Osaka to pull away on four slams when she doesn't do the work in the smaller tournaments. Barty is a player I've always been pretty ambivalent towards, but I think it'd add a bit more weight to the current field to see her win another slam, and particularly to beat Serena in the final. Plus, imagine the atmosphere if the crowds are back!

Having said that I also wouldn't mind too much if Serena does equal the record, and obviously it'd be even better if Court has to watch :D I don't like Serena, I actually think she's a pretty terrible person, but I do want her to beat this 'record', so a real catch 22.

Also, have the mods just completely abandoned this section of the site?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I think for the ladies side I now want Barty to beat Serena in the final. I don't want Osaka to pull away on four slams when she doesn't do the work in the smaller tournaments. Barty is a player I've always been pretty ambivalent towards, but I think it'd add a bit more weight to the current field to see her win another slam, and particularly to beat Serena in the final. Plus, imagine the atmosphere if the crowds are back!

Having said that I also wouldn't mind too much if Serena does equal the record, and obviously it'd be even better if Court has to watch :D I don't like Serena, I actually think she's a pretty terrible person, but I do want her to beat this 'record', so a real catch 22.

Also, have the mods just completely abandoned this section of the site?!

I keeping my powder dry, I think she's going to do it regrettably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

The f*cking STATE of williams ... she is a f*cking embarassment!!!

Her big fat massive arsehole

If you're going to continue with this, you can leave.

RosyLily wrote: »
    If you're going to continue with this, you can leave.

There was also this post a few days ago which is still up. I did bring it to mod attention, not sure whether that goes to you or perhaps other mods, but just letting you know it's still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Am a big barty fan, just her range of shots and the way she can mix it up throughout a match. Not as powerful a serve as williams or osaka, but can be very effective out wide, especially on these courts. Was impressive yesterday but not been hugely tested here so hard to know where she stands re the bottom half players. Muchova definitely no mug either so no guarantees there. Still favour osaka over williams but looks a close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There was also this post a few days ago which is still up. I did bring it to mod attention, not sure whether that goes to you or perhaps other mods, but just letting you know it's still up.

Don't you have to call the police on your neighbours for not wearing masks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

It's great to see valiant soldier Djokovic hobbling his way through the draw despite this injury. A nice injury to have really, one that doesn't appear in any way visible or to hinder his performance in any way.....

ah, always the bitter word, bridie....

From what I can see Djokovic is not on the practice courts in between matches, unusual and not particularly beneficial behaviour for someone who isnt carrying some kind of strain.

he doesn't look too bad on the court once he loosens up to be sure, but thats usual with most muscle injuries.

Nadal came into this tournament citing a back injury, which was unfortunate but maybe not as he never plays the week before a grand slam and wasn't going to try it out for size this time either. But hey, Rafa, so its cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Halep in her previous match shouldn't have called Serena a legend, maybe it was mentally conceding...

But Serena put in a performance that makes me thinks she does have a chance at the title. It was one of her best performances in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

This Karatsev guy is having a very good tournament, bit of a colorful past however. I heard on a podcast that bookies wouldn't take bets on his (challenger level) matches for a good while due to...unusual....results.
    Anyhow, he has had a couple of very solid wins here and then a handy one against Dimitrov. Will be interesting to see what he can do if he comes out swinging against Djokovic.

Nadal will be too solid for Tsexipants and it's hard to look past Medvedev in the other quarter.

Djokovic raising a flag about the potential for an NBA type bubble, maybe not the craziest idea if it was somewhere which allowed crowds (let them all stay in Australia?) but maybe they could all repair straight to France for the next few months instead?

lostcat wrote: »
    Nadal will be too solid for Tsexipants and it's hard to look past Medvedev in the other quarter.

Will crowds be back tomorrow for Nadal v Tsistipas?
    Tsitsipas would expect a bit of home support in Melbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Two good chances of witnessing history this week with Rafa and Serena
    Hope they both do it

That was a very sudden turnaround in this match, barty should be on her way home by now! Very slack second set, allowing herself to be dominated way too easily. Hope thats the wake up call she needs.

And broken first game of third as i typed. Not looking great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

What an meltdown from Barty. Just lost all concentration and composure after that medical time out. She looked like a rookie out there at times in the second and third set.

Barty was destroyed there, won 3 of last 15 games. Maybe year off was a factor but dont think its a valid excuse really, not against muchova who to her credit is decent and played well, but I'm sure wont be winning here. Was disappointed with halep, but that was so much worse.

F*cking hell Barty, what a disaster. Not massively surprised though tbh, I've always thought she's an unconvincing world #1, and incredibly lucky to have won a slam at all after a literal cakewalk at RG.

Got to think the Serena-Osaka match is the real final now, but as we just saw you never know what can happen.

The mto may have been a factor, not a massive fan of them and think muchova was slowing barty up a bit before a few key points on her serve, but that only goes so far. Really like her as a player but that was just dismal to watch, bit of fight towards the end but still not nearly enough and too little too late.

lostcat wrote: »
    ah, always the bitter word, bridie....

From what I can see Djokovic is not on the practice courts in between matches, unusual and not particularly beneficial behaviour for someone who isnt carrying some kind of strain.

he doesn't look too bad on the court once he loosens up to be sure, but thats usual with most muscle injuries.

Nadal came into this tournament citing a back injury, which was unfortunate but maybe not as he never plays the week before a grand slam and wasn't going to try it out for size this time either. But hey, Rafa, so its cool.

I've no doubt Djokovic has got some niggle or other, but it's probably being hammed up to maximum effect. I'm no Nadal fan either, and yes I know he's also saying he had some injury coming in here. Basically what I'm saying is I don't really pay much heed to whatever's coming out of the Djokovic/Nadal camps around grand slam time, and judge them on how they play on court. Both of them seem pretty ok to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Nadal looks to be in total control here. Still on course for a Djokovic-Nadal final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nadal and Djokovic are total spoofers when it comes to injuries. Never pay any heed to any of it.

I got Nadal at 9/1 at the start of the tournament after he was bullsh1tting away about his back. What a great price that has proven to be.

I really regret not taking those 10/3 odds on Djokovic when he was talking absolute rot about possibly not making the start line of the next match. I missed out there. I shouldn't have procrastinated on it.

The two lads are full of sh1te lets be honest. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Advertisement