Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willy's Wonderland (Nic Cage)

Options
  • 16-02-2021 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭

Nicolas Cages latest release, it looks a bit crazy.
    When his car breaks down, a quiet loner (Nic Cage) agrees to clean an abandoned family fun center in exchange for repairs. He soon finds himself waging war against possessed animatronic mascots while trapped inside Willy's Wonderland.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mean, it's clearly Five Nights At Freddy's: The Movie, with the serial number filed off and a fresh coat of paint. Which is no bad thing - the setup and setting for the games has a lot of potential for film adaptation, and there have already been authorised books that do an at least reasonable job of building a narrative around the setting and framework of the games.

The main question with this is, will it be fun or just another bad horror movie? A lot of which will come down to the script and tone. The trailer looks promising, but then they so often do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That will be going on the must watch list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did they rob a line from Watchmen? :pac:

Looks fun in a Nic Cage going postal kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When I saw the title there I was thinking this was the sequel to Willy Wonka I never wanted to see and now do.

Nic Cage no matter how bad is always fun to watch.

Edit it actually reminds me of The Banana Splits Movie

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah the old "trapped, not trapped" line....

Turn your brain off Schlockfest

Nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looks amazing :D

Empire give it 3/5, but this part makes me want to see it...

"Willy's Wonderland, an exceptionally pure shot of Cage madness. He may remain mute throughout the entire 89-minute runtime, but it’s a ferociously committed, truly weird (even by his standards) performance that elevates an otherwise repetitive story. You get the feeling he’s been asking his agent, “Have I been offered anything in which I batter a mechanical ostrich to death?” for a while now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

It's on my watch list.
    It probably gets terrible reviews, but you know you just have to...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently, Nic Cage doesn't speak a word in this; I wonder was that a creative choice, or some weird contractual aspect; where he got paid less due to having no actual lines of dialogue?

Obviously, anyone familiar with 5 Nights At Freddie's sees the blatant "inspiration", but I dunno. Smells like the kind of film better suited as a short than feature-length. The addition of that convenient Group O' Teens also tips its hat towards padding out the run-time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The trailer made this look like it might be some mad OTT bit of Nic Cage fun.
    But it is really poor....clearly the entire budget (what little they had) went on Cage. It all just felt so cheap and basic.
    The rest of the cast are absolutely f#cking awful (bar Beth Grant who is in a couple of scenes).

I honestly wouldn't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

has Cage ever turned down a job?

I like him as an actor, he generally improves whatever he is in, but he seems to have no concept of quality control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

loyatemu wrote: »
    has Cage ever turned down a job?

I like him as an actor, he generally improves whatever he is in, but he seems to have no concept of quality control.
    He blew an absolute tonne of money, I think he also owes the tax man. So he takes anything he can get now seemingly.

But he turned down a lot of big roles in the past including neo in the matrix and lord of the rings.

Advertisement