Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air raid siren around 01.30am?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Think it was answered on this forum years ago. Oil tanks in docks have a siren, used be tested around midday once a month and the occassional drill which i suppose this is..

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭westgolf

Fire brigade also used to use a siren as a call out signal for their crews.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

westgolf wrote: »
    Fire brigade also used to use a siren as a call out signal for their crews.

Yes indeed, I think rnli and army both have them just not required as much as they used to be with communication advances I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

heard it a few weeks ago too maybe on a saturday morning. But 2am midweek is not on on !! i thought it might be an approaching Tsunami but rolled over and went back to sleep instead reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Heard it a few times when living around Lough Atalia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Some of us have been taking this threat seriously for years

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101132800&postcount=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭wassie

New Covid alert system in operation for Galway Uni students breaching lockdown....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-covid-outbreaks-at-two-universities-as-students-flout-rules-40096935.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes indeed, I think rnli and army both have them just not required as much as they used to be with communication advances I guess.

RNLI don't have a siren in Galway they use pagers for alerts, in Saving Lives at Sea you may have seen sirens going off at Lifeboat Stations but they don't use them either they only use them for the series. Perhaps there was an alert at the docks either way they only test the Fire Sirens at day time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

There is one somewhere around Cobh in Cork too. Maybe it is in the Navy base over on Haulbowline Island. I remember hearing it going off once when i was there. I was like wtf, HIDE, ze germans are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Pager for the RNLI. Pager for the Fire Service too.

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    Pager for the RNLI. Pager for the Fire Service too.

I know, I'm saying historically, but often the physical siren remains and may/can be incorporated as part of the local emergency plan.. Topaz oil definitely have one in service also I did critical response training in the harbour area for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I know, I'm saying historically, but often the physical siren remains and may/can be incorporated as part of the local emergency plan.. Topaz oil definitely have one in service also I did critical response training in the harbour area for that..

I think you are correct about a siren at the fuel tanks at the docks, I seem to remember it mentioned years ago when the tanks were almost in the City Centre it would go off in an emergency and allow residents to get out, they probably have moved it to the tanks at the back of the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I get that but also in Galway the RNLI first used Maroons & then the Pager.

:)

Advertisement