Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court date given - DIY divorce

• 15-02-2021 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Good afternoon,

We have just been given our date to attend court for our divorce. We had a legal separation and have filed all papers to the court office ourselves.

In the letter it confirms that we have to supply an revised current affidavit of means which has to be submitted to the court within 7 days of our hearing.

Can anyone please advise me what to expect on the day. Neither of us are using solicitors, it is amicable and both of us want it to go through without any issues on the day.

What do I bring, what do I say on the day?

All help appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭dubal

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

dubal wrote: »
    Sent you a PM

Can I get the same PM please ? Need same info. Same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

gerbaby wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

We have just been given our date to attend court for our divorce. We had a legal separation and have filed all papers to the court office ourselves.

In the letter it confirms that we have to supply an revised current affidavit of means which has to be submitted to the court within 7 days of our hearing.

Can anyone please advise me what to expect on the day. Neither of us are using solicitors, it is amicable and both of us want it to go through without any issues on the day.

What do I bring, what do I say on the day?

All help appreciated.

Many thanks

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

I am now in the same situation, any chance of the PM
    Thanks

The intent of the pm wasn't to provide information. I was asking.

I am waiting in Dublin.

My understanding is that once lockdown is confirmed, they will focus on non contested cases.

They have given dates already to postponed cases.

The rest should get a date in March

• Advertisement

The intent of the pm wasn't to provide information. I was asking.

I am waiting in Dublin.

My understanding is that once lockdown is confirmed, they will focus on non contested cases.

They have given dates already to postponed cases.

The rest should get a date in March

All court dates will be severely put back -
    Huge backlogs - unlikely to prioritise on type of cases- everyone is entitled to a speedy hearing - contested will just be adjourned for hearing in the usual fashion - very unfortunate for people who just want to end things - start again - with a “ full break “ from an Ex

All court dates will be severely put back -
    Huge backlogs - unlikely to prioritise on type of cases- everyone is entitled to a speedy hearing - contested will just be adjourned for hearing in the usual fashion - very unfortunate for people who just want to end things - start again - with a “ full break “ from an Ex

Can I ask how you know this?

What I said was based on talking to the dublin circuit court.

Dubal

Can I ask how you know this?

What I said was based on talking to the dublin circuit court.

Dubal

It is happening in most cases - due to witnesses / legal people becoming unavailable unexpectedly- covid being top culprit - this causes cases to be adjourned back onto the lists - if your information is recent and from the court office - that’s the case now so -
    Always updated plans by court service to try relieve back log -
    This is good news -
    Cases agreed - non contentious - are quick in any event - best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gerbaby

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies and your PM's.

Just a little update for you all and hopefully it might help someone in the future. We had a no contest divorce, everything was agreed at the separation stage. I completed all the documents myself and submitted all papers to the court office in Dundalk. I received a letter as you know advising me of a court date on the 7th March. Last Tuesday, I received a phone call from the court office to ask me if we could attend court on Wednesday for our hearing. We attended and our divorce was granted, we waited to be called in, the Garda outside the courtroom was helpful enough there. The hearing itself was grand, the judge asked us both a few questions and he granted it there and then. He told us to come back with our pension adjustment orders - we both agreed in court that there will be no claims on each others pension so just have to get that completed.

So to give some people hope, you dont need a solicitor for a no contest divorce, it was a bit of work, but not a lot and I did it all myself. I received a quote of 6,000 from a legal firm in Drogheda for this work.

Best of luck

The Dublin circuit court gave out a bunch of dates today.

It appears they were waiting for NPHET to see if the court was going to be active again.

Got mine Apr 16, last documents submitted Jan 26.

Dubal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The Dublin circuit court gave out a bunch of dates today.

It appears they were waiting for NPHET to see if the court was going to be active again.

Got mine Apr 16, last documents submitted Jan 26.

Dubal
    Nice, was that quick? 3 month wait.
    I’d have submitted my final documents recently if I got them.
    Better get emailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pepefloyd

@dubal @XsApollo did you use one of those DIY services or you figured out the paperwork required on your own? Thanks

DIY divorce service, worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ladybird99

Hi Dubal. About to start going down this path. Would you be able to let me know the name of the DIY divorce company you used ? Hearing mixed reviews from my research. Cheers

Did diy divorce myself , well worth it for a few hundred quid.

I have all paperwork done and pre hearing , so just waiting for a date to appear in front of the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Was it handy enough to get the pension adjustment done? the amount split between you two?

Didn’t get it split, just each person kept their own. I don’t know how it works when it’s split.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pepefloyd

I am also interested in knowing which service was used. I contacted one in Bray and wasn't too impressed with the first interaction. I didn't feel like going ahead with it.

Well I used the above and found them great, there is nothing much to it really , they just send the paperwork as required and instructions on what to do, anything you don’t understand just give them a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tbone86

Going before a judge next week by myself, ex is out of the country.

It is a divorce by consent. Have not submitted a new affidavit of means , hoping this is not an issue as neither party are seeking any claims or relief.

No kids, property,pension or shared assets when we where together. Fingers crossed its straight forward been a year an half in the making.

Any tips or advice before court date would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

If they ask for a new affidavit of means then you need one.

if the first one was older than 6 months then a new one will be needed.

We were up before the judge last week, consent divorce And we didn’t realise she needed an affidavit of means also and he wouldn’t proceed without it.

oh and we were asked did we have an updated affidavit of means , I had mine handed it and was then asked was it served on the respondent, i didn’t do that even tho we were both standing there.

they said it must be served so I had to find a photocopy place and get it copied and handed over.

Post edited by XsApollo on

Advertisement