Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

April 2021 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Newbie007

April21 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I was seen today for my 16 week visit (at 17+ weeks due to scheduling) and all going well so far thankfully. Have anomoly scan coming up in 4 weeks from now (will be 21+ at that stage).

No movements yet but the doctor said it is normal with the first. She is happy with progress. Feeling a lot more like myself now thankfully and managing to get more exercise. The only thing is I get incredibly hungry really quickly at the moment!

I borrowed a pregnancy pillow from a friend today. It's like a massive snake in the bed :D Can't wait to try it out later.

I'm 17+ weeks too. Everything going well here. This is my first and I've started looking up things I might need when baby is born totally overwhelmed by everything. My anomaly scan isn't until 24 weeks which still feels like so long away.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Hi all. I'm just 16 weeks this Friday but getting my flu and whooping cough jab tomorrow - I'll ask about holding off on the whooping cough until another week or so. I'm not too keen on my doctor to be honest but all others are not taking on new patients :(

I have my anomaly scan at week 20, another scan at week 26, glucose test at week 28, booked in for week 31 and 36! Hospital sent me out card with all dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 April21

Newbie007 wrote: »
    I'm 17+ weeks too. Everything going well here. This is my first and I've started looking up things I might need when baby is born totally overwhelmed by everything. My anomaly scan isn't until 24 weeks which still feels like so long away.

I've started loking up some things too but thankfully I'm getting some things from my sister in law e.g. bedside crib, newborn clothes.

I'm not keen on buying anything until after Christmas once I'm past 24 weeks at least. I'm a little superstius I suppose and don't want to buy anything too early.

I'm also hoping to get a travel system second hand. They are so expensive! Sister in law has also offered car seat to borrow (she got it new and no accidents etc) so considering borrowing that. We will buy a new isofix base though as she is still using hers.

FairCity12 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm just 16 weeks this Friday but getting my flu and whooping cough jab tomorrow - I'll ask about holding off on the whooping cough until another week or so. I'm not too keen on my doctor to be honest but all others are not taking on new patients :(

I have my anomaly scan at week 20, another scan at week 26, glucose test at week 28, booked in for week 31 and 36! Hospital sent me out card with all dates.

Hopefully you will just need to see the nurse for the vaccines!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hope everyone is doing well.

Did anyone have the 3d anomaly scan in limerick maternity? Whats it like? I never got a 3d with my first so I can imagine the picture etc will be much more visible

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »
    Hope everyone is doing well.

Did anyone have the 3d anomaly scan in limerick maternity? Whats it like? I never got a 3d with my first so I can imagine the picture etc will be much more visible

Hi Donkey10, have you had your anomaly scan yet? I had mine a few weeks ago in the Coombe, it was like any othr detailed scan except I got a 3D picture of baby's face which was a lovely surprise. I was not expecting it!

Hi Donkey10, have you had your anomaly scan yet? I had mine a few weeks ago in the Coombe, it was like any othr detailed scan except I got a 3D picture of baby's face which was a lovely surprise. I was not expecting it!

No its tomorrow evening! Hope all goes well. Must be lovely to have the photo. Not sure if my husband is allowed in seen that they were on about the restrictions being lifted last week. Must ring ahead and find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No its tomorrow evening! Hope all goes well. Must be lovely to have the photo. Not sure if my husband is allowed in seen that they were on about the restrictions being lifted last week. Must ring ahead and find out!

I'm allowed in on the 23rd

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm allowed in on the 23rd

Which hospital is that? Did you have to ring them?

Which hospital is that? Did you have to ring them?

in Cork Regional.

My partner emailed them.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    in Cork Regional.

My partner emailed them.

Just called limerick maternity and all good to go he is allowed in this evening

How did it go Donkey10? Must have been lovely to have your partner there. Too late for us unfortunately! Did they do a 3D pic for you?

@Danzy I bet you are excited to go to a scan, have you gone to one in this pregnancy before? It must be hugely difficult for partners in this journey at the moment. My partner would love to come to appointments, I know he would. We had a private scan at 13 weeks which he really enjoyed. But I do fear that he feels left out.

How did it go Donkey10? Must have been lovely to have your partner there. Too late for us unfortunately! Did they do a 3D pic for you?

@Danzy I bet you are excited to go to a scan, have you gone to one in this pregnancy before? It must be hugely difficult for partners in this journey at the moment. My partner would love to come to appointments, I know he would. We had a private scan at 13 weeks which he really enjoyed. But I do fear that he feels left out.

I am to be honest.

I've been to no meeting of any kind.

I didn't mind though I have missed out. It's not ideal but that's the way it must be for now. Just glad things are going ok.

Really enjoy the little kicks and bopping and really looking forward to hearing the heart beat.

ALL went well thank.god. got a few 3d pics of the face. Very different to the normal ultrasound pics! Its nice to have the partners there at least they are part of it. Hopefully the restrictions will be lifted somewhat as time goes on especially coming closer to the labour

Hi everyone, all very quiet here! I’m into the third trimester now, anyone else? It’s all getting very real. Have a travel system, co-sleeper and a few other bits sorted now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maca13

Hi! Im in my third trimester also! Im getting alot of stuff from my SIL but looking into monitors and movement mats this week! Have been reading up on hospital bag tips. Plenty of movement from baba...especially late at night...we are in for trouble with this night owl!!

Another week to go before in the third trimester. I need to start taking out the baby stuff to give it a good clean.

How has anyone cleaned / washed buggies ( carry basket), car seats and newborn cots (I had the next to me chicco previously).

Whats the best way to wash the them and the material?

A friend of mine brought hers to a guy who valets cars?! He steamed cleaned them for her.

maca13 wrote: »
    A friend of mine brought hers to a guy who valets cars?! He steamed cleaned them for her.

Hmm interesting never heard of that before! Makes sense though!

Has anyone noticed the difference in the prices of stuff on Amazon? I was told to register for the German one as there would be no excise, but the difference in price between the UK one and the German one for the exact same, brand, make and model of monitor is streets apart (both brand new), even adding on the duty with it come from the UK, its far cheaper...makes no sense! I plan on taking my 14 weeks unpaid so im watching every penny!

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed the difference in the prices of stuff on Amazon? I was told to register for the German one as there would be no excise, but the difference in price between the UK one and the German one for the exact same, brand, make and model of monitor is streets apart (both brand new), even adding on the duty with it come from the UK, its far cheaper...makes no sense! I plan on taking my 14 weeks unpaid so im watching every penny!

Hadn't copped this but then again I haven't bought anything on it since before Christmas. I got waterwipes and two holder caddys for nappies then and they were good value. I usually get my waterwipes from Earthmother.ie - irish brand and website - they always seemed to be the cheapest when you bulk buy the largest pack there.

What sort of things are you buying? Have you looked at any Irish sites...there are a good few sales online on the irish sites at the moment that you might be able to pick a few things up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Amazon are Irish VAT registered so you pay the Vat/Customs at checkout and no other charges after.

I tried to look at the german amazon recently but found it didn't have the same choice as the UK amazon and I have Prime so UK amazon working out cheaper for stuff. Even with the VAT/Customs. Small items also don't have extra charges. So if using Prime, can order items individually to save charges on the whole order if that make sense

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I probably should have started posting in here many months ago! We got our big news back in August. Due in the middle of April (once everything keeps going to schedule). I think I was in shock for a few months, but I'm getting used to the idea of being a dad now. :) I even felt a kick for the first time on Saturday.

Anyone know of how the restrictions will work in the hospitals? I wonder by April will they have eased up a bit? At the moment are partners literally only allowed in just your pushing

I probably should have started posting in here many months ago! We got our big news back in August. Due in the middle of April (once everything keeps going to schedule). I think I was in shock for a few months, but I'm getting used to the idea of being a dad now. :) I even felt a kick for the first time on Saturday.

Congrats and welcome Insect Overlord!

Anyone know of how the restrictions will work in the hospitals? I wonder by April will they have eased up a bit? At the moment are partners literally only allowed in just your pushing

I'm booked in the Coombe and they revised their restrictions on Friday. So birth partner can come to the delivery suite once you have been admitted there and have a negative swab. Unfortunatly if Mum has a positive swab, she wont be able to have a birth partner which I found out today. Mum is swabbed on admission to the delivery suite and the result is fasttracked and take about an hour to come back apparently according to the midwife who spoke to us during antenatal classes. If swab is negative, birth partner can then come in. So hopefully I get a negative swab....... I don't know if this is the same in the other Dublin hospitals.

Also partners can visit now on the antenatal and postnatal ward for 2 hours per day now. I think from 2-4 which is a relief. Partners can also attend the 20 week scan which we are way past now. I'm really thankful that we had a private scan at 13 weeks and included my partner. He doesn't complain but I'd imagine he is feeling quite left out and would love to come to appointments etc. But trying to include him in other ways like talking to bump, feeling for movements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I'm booked in the Coombe and they revised their restrictions on Friday. So birth partner can come to the delivery suite once you have been admitted there and have a negative swab. Unfortunatly if Mum has a positive swab, she wont be able to have a birth partner which I found out today. Mum is swabbed on admission to the delivery suite and the result is fasttracked and take about an hour to come back apparently according to the midwife who spoke to us during antenatal classes. If swab is negative, birth partner can then come in. So hopefully I get a negative swab....... I don't know if this is the same in the other Dublin hospitals.

Also partners can visit now on the antenatal and postnatal ward for 2 hours per day now. I think from 2-4 which is a relief. Partners can also attend the 20 week scan which we are way past now. I'm really thankful that we had a private scan at 13 weeks and included my partner. He doesn't complain but I'd imagine he is feeling quite left out and would love to come to appointments etc. But trying to include him in other ways like talking to bump, feeling for movements etc.

I had my baby in the Coombe on Sunday morning, and can confirm exactly that this is how it works!!! My baby arrived very fast so unfortunately there was no time for a Covid swab before she was born, but as a result they allowed my partner to stay for until they moved me to a ward after she was born, which was about 2 hours.

Having had a baby in the Coombe before I have to say the visiting only being for 2 hours is actually a godsend!! Only the partner means you don’t have some people with heaps of people around the bed on and off all day so there’s more chance to relax.

Good luck to ye all x

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shuukaido

With shops closed, how are you all going about trying pushchairs/prams before buying? I was hoping to be able to try on March, but it doesn't seem likely now.

Does Boots have any instore?

EDIT: Found Tony Kealys are doing in-store consultations, so booked one with them!

• Advertisement

Thats interesting to know. I'll be attending Limerick maternity so I must find out what is the story with restrictions there now

Advertisement