Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones

Options
  • 14-02-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi all.
    What would be considered the best headphones to watch tv or listen to music while on turbo. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You’ll sweat a lot on a turbo, so IMO, in ear “earbuds” would be better than full over ear type headphones.

Over ear headphones give better sound and unless you want wires going from your headphones to your phone, get wireless ones.

Although I’d recommend setting your turbo up in a shed/garage and setup descent speakers and Don use headphones at all. (I only use headphones while cycling on the road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

' ChiFi ' represent great value in recent years. Two sets I can recommend are the Tin T2s and the iKKo OH10s, both available on amazon.

But you will need a better outboard DAC if using a smartphone, as most will have poor audio output stages.

The ES100 from Hifiman does this job well, by all accounts. Although, I would highly recommend the Chord Mojo instead. Once you've heard it, there's no going back...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

What 07Lapierre says. I tried using a pair of Mpow X3 earbuds on the trainer. Really pleased with them initially, particularly the fact that they isolate you from the sound of the turbo. Then the amount of sweat I was producing started causing some corrosion of the charging terminals, so I just gave up and reverted to using the speakers on the laptop. My earbuds have little sticky-down bits like Airpods where the sweat tended to gather. Maybe more “spherical” earbuds would be less of a problem, but for me it’s just not worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Turbo means just a big sweaty mess that will corrode most eventually, get a set that you can replace easily or use speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

dahat wrote: »
    Turbo means just a big sweaty mess that will corrode most eventually, get a set that you can replace easily or use speakers.

Thanks everyone. I have decent over ear wireless headphones. Thinking dahat is probably right to get get cheap ones that i won’t mind disposing every so often. Thanks again everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://uk.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-outlier-air-v2

i have a pair of these find them very good, haven't used them on the turbo though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Zen0 wrote: »
    What 07Lapierre says. I tried using a pair of Mpow X3 earbuds on the trainer. Really pleased with them initially, particularly the fact that they isolate you from the sound of the turbo. Then the amount of sweat I was producing started causing some corrosion of the charging terminals, so I just gave up and reverted to using the speakers on the laptop. My earbuds have little sticky-down bits like Airpods where the sweat tended to gather. Maybe more “spherical” earbuds would be less of a problem, but for me it’s just not worth the effort.

whats your experience otherwise of the X3s? ive had to send 3 pairs back to them because they wouldnt charge properly after a few weeks. ended up sending the third pair back and getting a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've used over ear headphones for years, and cheap a$$ in ear ones too. I haven't blown or short circuited a pair yet. The over ear ones can stay damp which is nasty when you put a cold clammy set over your ears the following day! Of late however I've started using a little bluetooth speaker instead, which avoids any cabling snafus. (Obviously wireless cans would do that too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

One thing to note about cheaper earphones - they cause ear fatigue after about 30 mins, which can confused with general physical discomfort/ tiredness.

Its especially noticeable while out on the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

whats your experience otherwise of the X3s? ive had to send 3 pairs back to them because they wouldnt charge properly after a few weeks. ended up sending the third pair back and getting a refund

Have them about seven months now. Love ‘em. After getting the charging terminals corroded on the turbo I had to clean them once with fine sandpaper after which they were fine. I also cleaned the charging terminals in the case, which was a bit fiddly. Haven’t used them on the turbo since. They continue to work well, and at about €50 they seem better value than branded products. Time will tell, but for now I enjoy comparing my Mpow “AirPods” to Mrs. Z’s Apple ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've been using Mpow M9's for about 6 months now. I have the mancave (so not used on the turbo), but use the left ear on solo spins, and then everything else. More airpod style than ear bud I suppose though.

I saw the awhile ago being reviewed by a popular channel on YouTube, they appear to be a good alternative to the more expensive brands although the ANC apparently isn't that great but at half the cost of stuff like the Jabra Elite 75t to me is acceptable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08LYXGB89/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_B965WY0EHEX9CTNDS613

Advertisement