Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds - Sunday/Monday Feb 14th/15th.

• 13-02-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭

... with yellow warning level elsewhere. Applies to an interval stated as 1200-1600 hours although I would advise onset before that peak period. Coastal flooding also a risk with onshore southwest winds (SSW veering WSW).

This thread can also be used to discuss heavy rainfall potential for Sunday into Monday, guidance showing 30-40 mm potential in parts of south and west, peaking overnight hours for southwest counties.

Another interval of strong winds will develop on the west coast in particular around Monday afternoon and evening, no warnings issued for that yet,

A yellow warning is now in place for wind gusts 70-110 km/hr for Donegal, Mayo and Galway overnight (2100h - 0400h).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Warning from met edited from 11am to 3pm. They must be reading mt's thread :)

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Update: South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with severe gusts in excess of 110km/h in the west. Where winds are onshore, there is a risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Sunday 14/02/2021 to 15:00 Sunday 14/02/2021

Issued: 11:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

Updated: 17:30 Saturday 13/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Wind on the east coast hasn't stopped all day, seems be getting stronger now again not sure if it's just the darkness making it seem stronger.

Roof creaking away again linked a video from last night, I'm sure tomorrow will be a lot worse so hopefully no damage!

https://youtube.com/shorts/m2PMG7jCHCI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's been a while since we had such a relentless 24 hours of gales.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Highest gust prediction: Belmullet 136 km/h

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

All the models fairly aligned now. Kerry just might nudge up a bit stronger perhaps.

Just noting that the WRF is showing very strong winds over the country in from the coasts( not one to over do wind speeds ), strong high end yellow warning for counties not Orange warning I would think. Going through relatively quickly thankfully.

Belmullet 120- 125 km/h :)

HpdJBqG.gif

anim_fcz7.gif

nmm_uk1-52-29-4_dsy3.png

anim_mxm1.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-26-0_gzs9.png

arpegeuk-52-29-0_xul2.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Atlantic is well and truly back in business, then again it never truly left us at any stage this winter, it's always been there nibbling away but it's influence is becoming more obvious with a resuming of normal service over the coming week.

Looks very windy tomorrow across all of the country, especially coastal areas.

24-289UK.GIF?13-12

Much milder too with temperatures into the low teens.

24-580UK.GIF?13-12

Could be fairly windy again on Tuesday

63-289UK.GIF?13-12

Wind will be fairly noticeable in general over the next week, particularly tomorrow.

Could be fairly wet too in western coastal areas tomorrow but inland doesn't look too bad in terms of rainfall.

30-777UK.GIF?13-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ireland in the strong airflow between the large Atlantic Lp system and Hp over Europe, Jet Stream on the boundary over us tomorrow. The wave depression forming from the parent low skimming by the W of Ireland.

jTHieut.gif

NpO1Uj3.gif

EQDMLb4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Highest gust prediction: Belmullet 136 km/h

Ouch!

Wild enough already out here, and what is falling sideways against the windows sounds more solid than rain.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Video forecast done for the severe gales or possibly storm force winds for Galway and north west Sunday morning. Should be only a short period but its a vigorous area of low pressure which could have some damaging gusts and power outages.

https://youtu.be/YNk3dB5FyIc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I have had enough of strong winds. It’s already gusting to 50mph here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Breezy here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Lights are flickering on and off here in North coastal Dublin - not too surprising though, we lose electricity if you sneeze near the power lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If there's snow left on hills in Connemara, heavy bursts of rain overnight and the milder air mass will quickly melt that, small streams in that region may flood late overnight. The coastal flooding alert is of course related to high tides but in some places it can back up the estuaries of the streams which makes flooding more of a risk.

ECM 18Z stronger than the previous run, brings the stronger winds further inland, very tight gradient and closer to the coast on this run.

ARPEGE a bit stronger by the coasts on the run especially the W, winds go through quickly though.

sfDFy4N.gif

kTPhxWR.png

ZoMpcvz.png

anim_whl3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

ECM 18Z stronger than the previous run, brings the stronger winds further inland, very tight gradient and closer to the coast on this run.

ARPEGE a bit stronger by the coasts on the run especially the W, winds go through quickly though.

sfDFy4N.gif

kTPhxWR.png

ZoMpcvz.png

anim_whl3.gif

Are those ARPEGE times French time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Fairly wild in South Wicklow now even before the start of the event tomorrow. No measurements but it's the windiest I've seen it some time.

Belmullet the one to watch between midday and 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Severe gusts forecast out north west, has Met Eireann called it Evert or is it going unnamed? Would it be unusual for an orange warning not be tagged!

Wild and loud, but at least the crippling cold has eased, so sleep was possible and appreciated.

There have been some house-shaking gusts already.

If you look where Belmullet is, small wonder they get blasted.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind just woke me up here in Kildare. Very strong gusts hitting the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Just been woken up by gusts in Cork. Didn't expect this much activity this far south.

Wild and oud out here.

But whatever the day brings, just relieved not to have had to dig my car out of the snow as I did in Eday, Orkney for many years... One year the island lorry got stuck even with a snowplough attachment and the farmers and tractors had to dig it out.

And watching my hens emerging from the barn and sinking chest deep in snow!

And the snowman who we thought was going to retire on his pension he lasted so long. He was so photogenuc too!

So many lovely photos online too of "snow Orkney". And my old house covered in snow.. wow!

Happy memories, and I look at my photos of those years with fondness,

but Ireland is kinder. Snow is pretty and dramatic but except in that one year it is courteous and does not overstay its welcome!

They had heavy snowfall up there in Orkney on February 7th this year, and lorries getting stuck.. No thank you!i

Even the snow does not last here and the winds will pass later today.

Ireland really is far more realistic.

Hard heavy shower.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Crazy strong winds in SW Kerry. Not much rain, but wilder then i've seen over the last few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was very rough in North Donegal during the night, but worst seems to have passed this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Another rotten morning in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Not the first time they have issued a orange warning for wind and not named a system. The named one a few years ago after issuing a orange warning I think for Mayo and Galway and got a lot of backlash mostly from the UK because it was only going to effect far coastal areas of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Drum Maigh Eo

Looks like this coastal event is going to pass through very quickly. Kerry coast now, west Galway and Mayo 10am to 1pm followed by west Donegal. Clear by 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Latest view of the low pressure system to the southwest of Ireland.

Image attached is the Airmass RGB

Sunday low pressure system.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement