Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Olympic Games WILL be going ahead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Chivito550 wrote: »

I read the article yesterday and made complete sense. Spot on, on his assessment and lets hope he is right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nuttzz wrote: »

Guarantee you, another poll taken 2 weeks before the Games in the middle of summer with next to no Covid, you will see 80% in favour of it.

The public don't decide whether the Games go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Hysteria? 3 million people have died and its only just started.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Hysteria? 3 million people have died and its only just started.

I was referring to hysteria around Olympics going ahead, when other sports events are happening.

But seen as you bring it up, at the time deaths were at 1.2 million, the WHOs best estimate was that 10% of the world's population (approx 760 million) had already had Covid. A death rate of 0.16%.

P. S. 2.38 million have died with Covid, not 3 million.

• Advertisement

I was referring to hysteria around Olympics going ahead, when other sports events are happening.

But seen as you bring it up, at the time deaths were at 1.2 million, the WHOs best estimate was that 10% of the world's population (approx 760 million) had already had Covid. A death rate of 0.16%.

you're adopting the Stalinist viewpoint that the death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million people sorry 2.38 million is a statistic? I paraphrased him a little but he's also dead.....and he was a ****.

you're adopting the Stalinist viewpoint that the death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million people sorry 2.38 million is a statistic? I paraphrased him a little but he's also dead.....and he was a ****.

No, I never insinuated anything of the kind. Please do not put words in my mouth and try make me out to be a heartless c?&t. You do not know me!

Pointing out that the death rate of a virus is much less than initially feared (and still assumed by many not willing to do a bit of digging) is not the same as the views of a brutal dictator who had no value on human life, and who was responsible for the deaths of 50 million people, and the suffering of many more.

Utterly shameful comment. What goes through peoples' heads to actually write comments like that. :(

Can't see it going ahead myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Australian Open has shown how problematic large scale sporting events are even in countries of low case numbers.

Also I don’t believe Emperors Cup is a good comparison when you factor in international travel (from countries of varying health protocols in place)

I do agree IOC will try push on no matter what as $$$ is the be all and end all for them but I don’t believe it will be as big a factor for Japanese government as we have seen that the financial implications of things getting out of hand again can be just as costly

KSU wrote: »
    Australian Open has shown how problematic large scale sporting events are even in countries of low case numbers.

Also I don’t believe Emperors Cup is a good comparison when you factor in international travel (from countries of varying health protocols in place)

I do agree IOC will try push on no matter what as $$$ is the be all and end all for them but I don’t believe it will be as big a factor for Japanese government as we have seen that the financial implications of things getting out of hand again can be just as costly

Oh the Games won't be in any way enjoyable. The restrictions will make it a very unpleasant experience. It will be completely unrecognisable from what we know. But I do see them happening. Sport has found a way to get back up and running. This isn't March 2020. The Olympics will find a way too I suspect.

Was on a media briefing the other day. It's an absolute sh1tshow. Those of us who didn't secure official media accommodation (how were we to know!) and therefore don't have easy access to media bus network and the media restaurants are told we can't take public transport and can't eat in a regular restaurant or buy food in a normal shop. It's quite comical actually. But we are told to "understand". Food is a basic requirement to live on this planet!

Japan haven't started vaccinations yet which is a real puzzler.

• Advertisement

No, I never insinuated anything of the kind. Please do not put words in my mouth and try make me out to be a heartless c?&t. You do not know me!

Pointing out that the death rate of a virus is much less than initially feared (and still assumed by many not willing to do a bit of digging) is not the same as the views of a brutal dictator who had no value on human life, and who was responsible for the deaths of 50 million people, and the suffering of many more.

Utterly shameful comment. What goes through peoples' heads to actually write comments like that. :(

speaking of hysteria🀣 the lord save us.
    This pandemic has exposed the selfishness and imaturity of a section of the community as much as it has highlighted the heroism of front lne workers. Whining about sports and hobbies while millions die is modern society defined. All that matters now is ME and thats the reason we're in the state we're in.

speaking of hysteria�� the lord save us.
    This pandemic has exposed the selfishness and imaturity of a section of the community as much as it has highlighted the heroism of front lne workers. Whining about sports and hobbies while millions die is modern society defined. All that matters now is ME and thats the reason we're in the state we're in.

Bit off topic but I don't think it is confined to certain sections of our society sadly.

Everyone is lobbying, petitioning or advocating for there own particular niche as they feel entitled to be exempt. For me it shows a breakdown of communities by in large as there is no sense of pulling together in times of hardship everyone is looking to be exempt or blame someone for what they feel is there right.

speaking of hysteria🀣 the lord save us.

I've adhered to these restrictions, even though I disagree with a lot of them. I've seen my parents twice since July even though they are a 20 minute drive away. Most of my friends I haven't seen for a year. I've seen nobody but my fiancé since January!

You're quite the self-righteous one aren't you!

Bit off topic but I don't think it is confined to certain sections of our society sadly.

Everyone is lobbying, petitioning or advocating for there own particular niche as they feel entitled to be exempt. For me it shows a breakdown of communities by in large as there is no sense of pulling together in times of hardship everyone is looking to be exempt or blame someone for what they feel is there right.

Hard for people to pull together when some have had their livelihoods ruined while others are unaffected.

I, myself, am completely unaffected financially. I've been working from home and saved a stupid amount of money. But I'm not so selfish to cast judgements on those less fortunate.

Hard for people to pull together when some have had their livelihoods ruined while others are unaffected.

I, myself, am completely unaffected financially. I've been working from home and saved a stupid amount of money. But I'm not so selfish to cast judgements on those less fortunate.

That is my point though those unaffected tend to downplay the effects of this, those who are in the thick of it tend to be blinkered on the health risk side and others financially hit tend to feel that that supersedes the health side.

Everyone is pulling in their own direction with little regard for those outside of there bubble rather than rallying together as communities supporting each other in order to keep people safe (both from a health and financial perspective)

It's a symptom of a bigger issue in modern day but still sorry to see

That is my point though those unaffected tend to downplay the effects of this, those who are in the thick of it tend to be blinkered on the health risk side and others financially hit tend to feel that that supersedes the health side.

Everyone is pulling in their own direction with little regard for those outside of there bubble rather than rallying together as communities supporting each other in order to keep people safe (both from a health and financial perspective)

It's a symptom of a bigger issue in modern day but still sorry to see

Hasn't that always been the case though? How many times have you walked last a homeless person and done nothing?

Hasn't that always been the case though? How many times have you walked last a homeless person and done nothing?

Previous generations would have seen community as paramount in times of crisis(how many got by in times of hardship through there family and neighbors over the years).

Anecdotally you are probably right I have done it in the past which probably makes me hypocritical in some senses sure, I would like to think the the pandemic has given me perspective with regards this and while you can't help everyone I think mitigating the damage done while still putting health at the forefront serves everyone more.

Call it self righteous if you will but downplaying the extent of the virus to suit a persons narrative and justify behavior is something I think has hamstrung public effort I feel personally.

Anyway kind of got off topic there will leave you to it was more just a comment on society as a whole based on UP's post

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Dennehy's article seems to be more about news values than any real insight into whether the Games will go ahead. Hopefully they will find a way to stage them, safely. If media representatives are being discouraged from attending, it's hardly surprising. The current conditions would seem to justify pool reporting, for instance, rather than adding to the logistical problems with a larger than necessary influx of sports journalists and other media people. Totally agree that the main driver of staging the Games, if they happen, will be the money.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Dennehy's article seems to be more about news values than any real insight into whether the Games will go ahead. Hopefully they will find a way to stage them, safely. If media representatives are being discouraged from attending, it's hardly surprising. The current conditions would seem to justify pool reporting, for instance, rather than adding to the logistical problems with a larger than necessary influx of sports journalists and other media people. Totally agree that the main driver of staging the Games, if they happen, will be the money.

They aren't cutting the number of accredited press, but they are cutting capacity at each venue by 50%. So press will have to book into each event in advance as a result. It probably will put a good few off alright.

I've adhered to these restrictions, even though I disagree with a lot of them. I've seen my parents twice since July even though they are a 20 minute drive away. Most of my friends I haven't seen for a year. I've seen nobody but my fiancé since January!

You're quite the self-righteous one aren't you!

am I? As you'd say yourself, you don't know me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What other sport event brings so many sports people together in one area ie the village?

If a virus outbreak happens in the village will athletes get sent home along with close contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

The first 21% vaccinated are the group where 98% of deaths occurred so that's why the UK is pushing for that. Now when Ireland gets to that place there may be an acceptance on people going to the olympics getting a vaccine priority due to the event "boosting mental health" etc but the real problem is that this will be an option here but there are many countries will have no vaccine program or be at a very early stage. A hard sell in those places. If it goes ahead it will be very negative for Olympics as it will highlight the lack of balance in global rollout of the vaccine.

rom wrote: »
    The first 21% vaccinated are the group where 98% of deaths occurred so that's why the UK is pushing for that. Now when Ireland gets to that place there may be an acceptance on people going to the olympics getting a vaccine priority due to the event "boosting mental health" etc but the real problem is that this will be an option here but there are many countries will have no vaccine program or be at a very early stage. A hard sell in those places. If it goes ahead it will be very negative for Olympics as it will highlight the lack of balance in global rollout of the vaccine.

The IOC has stated that a vaccine isn't a requirement. In fact a vaccine is no benefit at all, as you still have to be tested regardless, and isolated if positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't see how it's possible. Usually there's a turnover of athletes in the Olympic village as some sports end and others begin, but if you need to add in quarantines period before hand like at the Australian Open, you're going to run out of room.

It will be up to governments and people to stop it anyway, the IOC won't give a crap, they just want the money it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

The IOC has stated that a vaccine isn't a requirement. In fact a vaccine is no benefit at all, as you still have to be tested regardless, and isolated if positive.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-vaccines-for-the-tokyo-olympics-have-become-a-political-issue-11613314814

They might just spread the olympics over a bigger time period.

Go with the swimming first, then clean the village and start with the next group. Probably the most sensible approach.

No opening ceremony or closing ceremony with athletes present.

rom wrote: »

Well I was in a media briefing with the IOC last week so I will go by that. Unless they have changed their minds since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

speaking of hysteria�� the lord save us.

Agree with this.

I also think actual physical activity is massively great for individuals and the larger community to get mental release during these tough times and protect them as much as possible physically should they be unlucky enough to get infected.

The masses of money spent by nations on Olympics would be better spent on local physical exercise participation.

Also, the astronomical money that surrounds the Olympics probably enough to go towards vaccinating world if there was a serious cooperative global response. Priorities etc.

demfad wrote: »
    Agree with this.

I also think actual physical activity is massively great for individuals and the larger community to get mental release during these tough times and protect them as much as possible physically should they be unlucky enough to get infected.

The masses of money spent by nations on Olympics would be better spent on local physical exercise participation.

Also, the astronomical money that surrounds the Olympics probably enough to go towards vaccinating world if there was a serious cooperative global response. Priorities etc.

Olympics has a purpose also, it gives people something to look forward to.
    What the olympics needs to do is tone down the event on the money side.

It rarely adds anything to the community after it finishes up. Brazil is a perfect example of a bad olympics. Olympic park is closed due to safety issues, media centre just a demolished building. The rest is even worst.

The people of Brazil suffered badly due to the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Olympics has a purpose also, it gives people something to look forward to.
    What the olympics needs to do is tone down the event on the money side.

It rarely adds anything to the community after it finishes up. Brazil is a perfect example of a bad olympics. Olympic park is closed due to safety issues, media centre just a demolished building. The rest is even worst.

The people of Brazil suffered badly due to the Olympics.

Anywhere poor suffers badly when the Olympics comes to towns, sweeping away the poor to make room for the shiny stadiums and temporary show of wealth to the world.

I think Tokyo would be a bit better, like London and other first world cities, they already have a good infrastructure in place and are building on top of it. They always have sports events on so will use the facilities afterwards.

Advertisement