Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need tips to bulk

• 17-05-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Im 6ft 4 and 70 kg and relativley skinny with no muscle does anyone have any tips to help me gain muscle mass and weight as i want to get back into rugby thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Step 1: Follow a strength programme like Starting Strength or 5/3/1.

Step 2: Eat in a calorie surplus, with plenty of that being protein (about 1.5 - 2g per kilo of bodyweight).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wotapalaver

Yep. What he said.

Get on a proper compound weight lifting program with a qualified coach and eat a lot.

At 6 4 and 70kg, that's WAAAY skinny. You'll make huge gains for anything up to 2 years.

But, make sure you get a proper trainer. The most productive exercises are squat, deadlift, etc. and you need to do them with proper form or you'll hurt yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Sorry to hijack the thread but I kind of have the same question.

I have actually signed up with an online personal trainer in Cork who is going to give me a nutrition plan and strength plan.

Im 5ft 7 and 63kg and just wondering in what sort of timeframe will I see gains (if any) if I stick to the plan I am given. I could run 15 miles for you right now but Id get it hard lift 7.5kg over my head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I have actually signed up with an online personal trainer in Cork who is going to give me a nutrition plan and strength plan.

Im 5ft 7 and 63kg and just wondering in what sort of timeframe will I see gains (if any) if I stick to the plan I am given. I could run 15 miles for you right now but Id get it hard lift 7.5kg over my head!!!!

What age are you?

Vestiapx wrote: »
    What age are you?

40 unfortunately. But a fit in ways 40. Don't drink, dont smoke. As mentioned do a nice bit of running. 30 Half Marathons ran. Will follow both the nutrition and exercise plan rigidly because that's the sort I am.

• Advertisement

As a beginner you should see gains immediately in terms of strength. Beginners can add weight/reps at least every week, if not every session. Muscle mass takes months to become noticeable unfortunately.

I would say that your progress will be curtailed somewhat if you're doing a large amount of running outside of lifting, but whether that's an issue just depends on what your goals are.

Cill94 wrote: »
    As a beginner you should see gains immediately in terms of strength. Beginners can add weight/reps at least every week, if not every session. Muscle mass takes months to become noticeable unfortunately.

I would say that your progress will be curtailed somewhat if you're doing a large amount of running outside of lifting, but whether that's an issue just depends on what your goals are.

Thanks a million. Just want to tone up a bit. That's all. Nothing major. Havent got my plan back yet so will be interesting to see whats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks a million. Just want to tone up a bit. That's all. Nothing major. Havent got my plan back yet so will be interesting to see whats in it.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about timeframes. If you put in the work, you should see/feel the benefits. Its hard to know how long it will take before you notice. Some people notice sooner than others. I'm the last to notice changes in myself

I wouldn't necessarily worry about timeframes. If you put in the work, you should see/feel the benefits. Its hard to know how long it will take before you notice. Some people notice sooner than others. I'm the last to notice changes in myself

Patience is a virtue obviously! I’ll have to put that ideology into practice so.

Patience is a virtue obviously! I’ll have to put that ideology into practice so.

It's not even that, per se. It's just hard to know the results you'll see and when you'll see them. You'll probably feel them before you see them giventhat you'll be running a lot still so it may be that you just feel a bit stronger. But the results will still come if you're consistent with it.

• Advertisement

It's not even that, per se. It's just hard to know the results you'll see and when you'll see them. You'll probably feel them before you see them giventhat you'll be running a lot still so it may be that you just feel a bit stronger. But the results will still come if you're consistent with it.

Alf, you might be able help me here.

I got my training and nutrition plan back from the PT. The training part I'm happy with. Its basic stuff but I only have a few sets of dumbbells but thats to be expected. And I've no problem with that.

But the nutrition plan is weird. I'm 5ft 7in and only 63kg and I want to put on a bit of muscle and bulk/tone up a bit yet he only has me down for 1370 calories a day. (Obviously loads of protein etc etc). Surely that amount of calories isnt sufficent. And he wants me to run 3 times a week aswell. (7km). Surely to get a bit bigger (in the right way) I'd need to double that calorie intake. Like, I literally don't want to lose weight. Just change the 63kg to a bit of muscle or ideally get a bit heavier with muscle added on.

I'm very confused about this and need some advice from someone who might know something.

Alf, you might be able help me here.

I got my training and nutrition plan back from the PT. The training part I'm happy with. Its basic stuff but I only have a few sets of dumbbells but thats to be expected. And I've no problem with that.

But the nutrition plan is weird. I'm 5ft 7in and only 63kg and I want to put on a bit of muscle and bulk/tone up a bit yet he only has me down for 1370 calories a day. (Obviously loads of protein etc etc). Surely that amount of calories isnt sufficent. And he wants me to run 3 times a week aswell. (7km). Surely to get a bit bigger (in the right way) I'd need to double that calorie intake. Like, I literally don't want to lose weight. Just change the 63kg to a bit of muscle or ideally get a bit heavier with muscle added on.

I'm very confused about this and need some advice from someone who might know something.

That does sound rather strange. Can you ask them again in case there was a mistake. You can look at some calorie calculators online (e.g. scoobys calorie calculator) to get a handle on caloric intake. But since you engaged the trainer I'd go back and ask them because it may be a misunderstanding but its definitely not a plan that matches your goals as is.

That does sound rather strange. Can you ask them again in case there was a mistake. You can look at some calorie calculators online (e.g. scoobys calorie calculator) to get a handle on caloric intake. But since you engaged the trainer I'd go back and ask them because it may be a misunderstanding but its definitely not a plan that matches your goals as is.

Thanks Alf.

I did a lot of looking online tonight and I found the perfect term to describe myself. Skinny fat!! Absolutely nails me on the head.

I am of the belief that my PT actually wants me to "cut" fat (from stomach) before he puts into full bulking. It seems he wants me to develop some lean muscle first before I go into the "bulking phase". However I'd be pretty concerned about losing any weight off my 63kg.

I sent him a few emails this evening but no reply.

Thanks Alf.

I did a lot of looking online tonight and I found the perfect term to describe myself. Skinny fat!! Absolutely nails me on the head.

I am of the belief that my PT actually wants me to "cut" fat (from stomach) before he puts into full bulking. It seems he wants me to develop some lean muscle first before I go into the "bulking phase". However I'd be pretty concerned about losing any weight off my 63kg.

I sent him a few emails this evening but no reply.

Telling you to stick to 1300-1400 cals and go running 3 times a week is not a recipe for developing lean muscle .

Hopefully they can clarify

40 unfortunately. But a fit in ways 40. Don't drink, dont smoke. As mentioned do a nice bit of running. 30 Half Marathons ran. Will follow both the nutrition and exercise plan rigidly because that's the sort I am.
    I'm 46. Lift heavy and compound eat big and you will grow.

Telling you to stick to 1300-1400 cals and go running 3 times a week is not a recipe for developing lean muscle .

Hopefully they can clarify
    They mean three times a day

They mean what three times a day?

They mean what three times a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks, I’m trying to follow a similar approach over next while - obviously gyms are closed, but have some equipment so just wondering what people do equipment-wise for compound exercises?

I have a barbell, dumbbell and some kettlebells, but no bench or rack. Squat and Chest Press hard to do.

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I’m trying to follow a similar approach over next while - obviously gyms are closed, but have some equipment so just wondering what people do equipment-wise for compound exercises?

I have a barbell, dumbbell and some kettlebells, but no bench or rack. Squat and Chest Press hard to do.

If you learn to power clean, you can do front squats and overhead press. Can also use the bar for deadlifts and rows.

You can use the bells for split squats, rows, and presses. And then there's push-ups.

In short, you're really well set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cill94 wrote: »
    If you learn to power clean, you can do front squats and overhead press. Can also use the bar for deadlifts and rows.

You can use the bells for split squats, rows, and presses. And then there's push-ups.

In short, you're really well set up.

Great, thanks for that advice, appreciate it.

Advertisement