Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Actor identification - 80s supporting actor

• 12-02-2021 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a documentary and a filmed scene from a book was included.
    If I can track down the actor I think I can find out more about what was filmed.
    It was a South Bank Show special about John Updike, and the scene was from the Rabbit books but according to wiki the book hasn't been adapted i.e. Rabbit is Rich.

The actor is in late middle age, kinda guy that plays generals, businessmen, police captains, conservative father of the lead. The actor would never be the lead.

He is not any of these guys or on the below list - but he acts in similar roles.
    james cromwell, joe don baker, philip baker hall, m emmet walsh, bob gunton, jt walsh, hal holbrook, fred thompson, jk simmons, powers boothe, robert loggia, jack weston, anthony zerbe, michael moriarty
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls050426470/

Feel free to throw out some names...

Sky.com users can view the documentary here
    https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/8028ef33-9b8f-495f-9a7b-c7c35c6b9e82/the-south-bank-show-originals/episodes/season-6/episode-6

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary and a filmed scene from a book was included.
    If I can track down the actor I think I can find out more about what was filmed.
    It was a South Bank Show special about John Updike, and the scene was from the Rabbit books but according to wiki the book hasn't been adapted i.e. Rabbit is Rich.

The actor is in late middle age, kinda guy that plays generals, businessmen, police captains, conservative father of the lead. The actor would never be the lead.

He is not any of these guys or on the below list - but he acts in similar roles.
    james cromwell, joe don baker, philip baker hall, m emmet walsh, bob gunton, jt walsh, hal holbrook, fred thompson, jk simmons, powers boothe
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls050426470/

Feel free to throw out some names...

James Caan? Found a version of "Rabbit, Run" filmed in 1970?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066274/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

James Caan? Found a version of "Rabbit, Run" filmed in 1970?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066274/

That was my first thought, and that seems to be the only hit I could find for adaptations of the Rabbit series.

But the scene was definitely from Rabbit is Rich or Rabbit Redux as Rabbit is now a businessman running a car dealership.
    The later books in the series weren't written until after 1970 so it wasn't that the "Rabbit Run" film pulled in material from later books.

So I don't know where those scenes came from, maybe it was just vignettes from the books filmed purely for the documentary.

Now also the name of the actor is bugging me, hence this thread!

Random shout outs of 80s american character actors accepted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Brian Dennehy?

He was always a go-to 80s guy.

Dades wrote: »
    Brian Dennehy?

He was always a go-to 80s guy.

Good shout, but this guy is more obscure than that :(

I'll try to attach a camera shot from my phone.

Trying to attach pic...

• Advertisement

Pic 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wilfred Brimley?Actor_Wilford_Brimley_Dies_In_Utah_1-5f2708e6717231042a0aaaa7_1_Aug_02_2020_19_24_04_poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@ odyssey06

are you sure they're both the same actor in the two pics??

re: the second pic, isn't that the actor who played the angry yank in that Fawlty Towers episode > waldorf salad ?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Wilfred Brimley?

Nope, this guy has more business \ lawyer \ military presence.

fryup wrote: »
    @ odyssey06

are you sure they're both the same actor in the two pics??

re: the second pic, isn't that the actor who played the angry yank in that Fawlty Towers episode > waldorf salad ?

Yep, you nailed it. Bruce Boa

That's where I knew him from and also...
    Andrew Bruce Boa was a Canadian actor, who found success playing the token American in British films and television, usually playing military types. Boa's most recognizable film role is in The Empire Strikes Back as General Rieekan.

* It's the same actor just he always seemed to be filmed with a prop in the scenes... eating in a diner and wearing baseball hat (in his blue collar youth in the 70s) or sunglasses and driving a 'sedan' in his later years as a car dealership owner living the good life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mystery solved :cool:

Never heard of that fella despite being in Star Wars and Bond!

Dades wrote: »
    Mystery solved :cool:
    Never heard of that fella despite being in Star Wars and Bond!

I thought he might have been in a Bond... checked Licence to Kill cast list.
    But it was Octopussy and he played an un-named US General.

It was an interesting puzzle, but in terms of the Rabbit adaptations \ John Updike it looks like the South Bank Show just filmed a couple of scenes with the actor from each of the Rabbit novels, and included them in the documentary.

Advertisement