Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on storing temperature

Options
  • 09-02-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have recently started my adventure with home brewing, and so far I am liking it very much. So much so, that I have decided to make as much supplies as possible for the warmer months ahead. There is a potential issue, though, as the only place I can keep my home brew is the attic, which is fine for the time being, but may be a problem during summer due to higher temperatures. As I am still rather inexperienced (I've only made 4 batches so far), I am looking for advice an whether keeping beer in the attic during summer (with temperatures likely to go over 20 degrees) will spoil it? I don't have a garage, and my shed is your typical wood shed, so not a viable option as well. How do you store your beer? I'd be grateful for any input.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't advise it. I know my attic can easily get into the mid-20s and more in summer time.

If you've literally no other option, give it a go and see what happens. When I was a regular brewer, my solution to the issue was to stop brewing in April and start again in September. It's just a matter of ensuring you have enough stock on hand to last the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Attic would be too warm in summer for defs. Shed would be a better option, pick up an old fridge and it will keep temperature a bit more constant (even if it's not plugged in).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Qboot

Thank you both.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Attic would be too warm in summer for defs. Shed would be a better option, pick up an old fridge and it will keep temperature a bit more constant (even if it's not plugged in).

That's actually not a bad idea. Will have to do a serious clearing out if the shed first, but it has been long coming anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have stored beers successfully in warm attics over summer.

It will accelerate their aging (and some elements of the beer will age/decline faster than other parts, so the beer can go out of whack). But you can get away with it, but as others mentioned it is not ideal. Shed is better, fridge is best.

While it is cold *now* the attic is going to do a great job of lagering those beers. Anything that you crack open in May etc. is going to be as bright as commercial pale beer, and you can also get close to professional mouthfeel also.

Thank you sharingan.
    sharingan wrote: »
    Shed is better, fridge is best.

In my case, the shed actually feels at least as warm during summer as the attic. Perhaps it is just my impression, I would need to go down there with a thermometer and get a proper reading. Nevertheless, I think I will go down that route and put a fridge in the shed. I intend to install an outside socket on the back wall of the house in spring anyway, so I may as well pull the cable a bit further to the shed to power up the fridge.

I was also thinking of making a dugout in the shaded part of my garden, make a concrete floor, brick walls, and wooden cover, and keep the beer there, but that is too much hassle + the garden is already as tiny as they can be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Qboot wrote: »
    I was also thinking of making a dugout in the shaded part of my garden, make a concrete floor, brick walls, and wooden cover, and keep the beer there
    Bavarian bierkeller! :D

BeerNut wrote: »
    Bavarian bierkeller! :D

Heh, heh, better then the attic, a.k.a. Gaelic Beerkiller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The dugout is not a bad idea at all, especially if you can get it covered. It will promote a stable year round temperature, and done well would work very well for fermenting lagers.

Extreme high temperatures are not good, but equally stable temperatures are important too (dont vary much with day/night, weather or seasons)

Advertisement