Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valheim (EA )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are playing co-op in this and you build a super de duper base....what happens when the game is over or you have to leave is it all gone and you have to start again from scratch. Or is it like ARK or Conan and the base stays no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you are playing co-op in this and you build a super de duper base....what happens when the game is over or you have to leave is it all gone and you have to start again from scratch. Or is it like ARK or Conan and the base stays no matter what.

As long as the save/server is up its still there.

When you are carrying too much

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really enjoying the game but its so annoying when your miles from your base and your full of copper and tin and no way back only a tiresome walk back to base as the portal wont take your copper etc.
    This needs to be removed from the game imho.

Dcully wrote: »
    Really enjoying the game but its so annoying when your miles from your base and your full of copper and tin and no way back only a tiresome walk back to base as the portal wont take your copper etc.
    This needs to be removed from the game imho.

I'm torn on the mechanic. Forces you to make forward bases. I saw it coming so made a forward base on the edge of the swamp to produce iron. I'd be too lazy to make another house so it was a bit of fun going with a new design.

• Advertisement

Yes but it wears thin rapidly and starts to feel more a hindrance than being a good gameplay feature.
    The first few times i didnt mind but it gets incredibly annoying.

100% disagree that Ore can be portalled, you go to new areas for new stuff so build a FOB and take it from there, we have a nice few FOBs and my favourite is with swamps on the left, Plains on the right and Mountain ahead the FOB is in a meadow.

We get our metals craft some then wear it/carry it back to base as an item.

Our FOBs are all different types of builds.

I would like to be able to break down old weapons and armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So picked this up yesterday,proved to be a nice distraction,ended up playing for about 4 hrs last night as I could have a ly in this morning.

Gonna login now,kill the first boss and move onto the next area.

In these games I never build a big base until later on. I treated it very much like minecarft weirdly,just build a base with all the stuff nessacery to craft in the first place. Can become an outpost later or easily moved as its literally a box and didnt cost much to make.

The well rested bonus seems to last just less than an in game day,which is a little annoying as if it lasted just a bit longer the trek back to base wouldn't be so bad at the end of the day stamina wise.

Leather scraps are a pain,gonna build a small fenced area and tame some bore,constantly having to hunt them is a bit annoying

Overall I'm enjoying it so far,seems to be good content and runs well for early access. I do think the almost 16-bit like textures could use some work but thats something to worry about more down the road.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    100% disagree that Ore can be portalled, you go to new areas for new stuff so build a FOB and take it from there, we have a nice few FOBs and my favourite is with swamps on the left, Plains on the right and Mountain ahead the FOB is in a meadow.

We get our metals craft some then wear it/carry it back to base as an item.

Our FOBs are all different types of builds.

I would like to be able to break down old weapons and armour.

Its easier in a group as the logistics would be easier, im playing solo.

Its easier in a group as the logistics would be easier, im playing solo.

oh right, i playing with 2 on one server and 6 on another.

Would like the wind time to last longer and not go from north to south in seconds.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying this,killed the first boss and started building a base bordering the dark forrest and a snow biome ive yet to visit.

As much to try out the building,its a simple system but works really well.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Really enjoying this,killed the first boss and started building a base bordering the dark forrest and a snow biome ive yet to visit.

As much to try out the building,its a simple system but works really well.

The order is Meadows>Forest>Swamp>Mountains>Plains

Do not advise you to go to the mountains yet, wolves are assholes.

Cool. Next step for me is bronze according to the bird dude so the Forrest was my next stop,might be handy having a base where mine is later on for mountains.

Can see modders having a lot of fun with this if its allowed.

So i thought id scout out the waters to see if theres any sign of the swamp biome but got killed by that damn sea monster i was only i a raft.
    I lost everything [upgraded bronze gear ,weapons, pickeaxe etc] so i thought but i made another raft and stayed close to land and went the long way around to regain my corpse and gear.
    It was fecking tense as there was two sea monsters just nearby but i got my stuff eventually.
    Lesson learned so i built a ship there now and plan to only do such a daring effort again with less gear to lose on me.
    Am i correct in thinking the swamp can only be accessed via a the sea unless one got lucky with their world?
    No sign of it yet for me.

No you can find it linked to other biomes, sea monster has yet to get me. Came close yesterday tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

playing solo. after a fairly "meh" first few hours, i'm completely hooked now. got a nice little ring fort outside the black forest.

the combination of dark souls type boss progression and crafting/exploration is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Is it worth building a large base at the black Forrest or just keep my main base in the meadows?
    I've already upgraded everything I can and I need to kill the first boss to be able to use ore.
    I'm taking my time, I could of killed the boss ages ago but enjoying farming and exploring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

After all the talk about how good this is I've jumped on the bandwagon. Promised myself I'd stop buying games, not working out very well.

I built the small ship the one after the raft, sailed the seas found the swamp area found crypts mined iron sailed back to base rinse and repeat was my Saturday afternoon now i have full iron gear ,iron mace and iron shield.
    Im not sure if it is better to build a new base near this swamp or continue to hit the sea over and back, i reckon its a grind either way.

KilOit wrote: »
    Is it worth building a large base at the black Forrest or just keep my main base in the meadows?
    I've already upgraded everything I can and I need to kill the first boss to be able to use ore.
    I'm taking my time, I could of killed the boss ages ago but enjoying farming and exploring

You want to build a second base next to a snowy mountain and a swamp ideally. You should be able to do the black forest stuff from your main base easily enough.

• Advertisement

You want to build a second base next to a snowy mountain and a swamp ideally. You should be able to do the black forest stuff from your main base easily enough.

Yeah was thinking that, already able to kill everything in black forest no problem, but next time i'll get the ore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Absolutely loving this solo. Only started smelting now. How far does the tech progress? I wonder if it's cheap to host a server for just Ireland so maybe can have a boards server.

Absolutely loving this solo. Only started smelting now. How far does the tech progress? I wonder if it's cheap to host a server for just Ireland so maybe can have a boards server.

€11 with g portal

Am I alone here when out for a walk in real life and have an urge to pick up a rock or fallen branch? Put way to many hours into this already

So i tried the 3rd boss and it didnt go well.
    Watched a few vids and some guys who no life the game soloed him but it takes 17+ minutes and is apparently the hardest fcuker in the game with a lot of preperation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What's the best way to play, mouse and keyboard or controller? Googling doesn't really return very much of use.

So i tried the 3rd boss and it didnt go well.
    Watched a few vids and some guys who no life the game soloed him but it takes 17+ minutes and is apparently the hardest fcuker in the game with a lot of preperation required.

Hmm that is a bit off-putting.

Id imagine building would be a pain with a controller,also inventory management

Speaking of controls,not being able to bind dodge to single key sucks and also id like to change the item im using in hotbar with scroll wheel,make the zoom + and - or something

So apparently building a treehouse leave a window in the floor to look down on him and kill with frost arrows is the best way to kill the 3rd boss.
    Getting frost arrows is whole other story :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been playing a little over a week. Spent 2 hours hauling 400 silver down a mountain this evening, fighting off wolves, drakes, then trolls and skellys. Dying over and over, losing my skill levels. 10/10 would do again

Advertisement