Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone Recommendation

• 10-01-2021 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

My soon to be 9 year old has asked for a drone for his birthday, his only real requirement is for it to have a camera on it.
    We live rurally and have wide open spaces to fly it so I don't mind getting him one however I know nothing about them.
    I don't want to spend a fortune on one if (a) he loses interest in it after awhile (b) he loses or damages it, but at the same time I don't want to spend money on a crappy one that doesn't deliver a decent drone experience and falls to pieces after a few plays with it.
    So with all that in mind can I hear recommendations for a decent, affordable drone for a beginner that can take some wear and tear but doesn't cost the earth, oh and has a camera on it ;)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

I'd go for one of DJI drones, you can pick used or even new ones from 300-400 euros on adverts or online, e.g:
    DJI Spark https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/dji-spark-fly-more-combo/22152698 €280.
    Also Hubsan Zinos are decent and costs even less (Hubsan H117S Zino €280 https://www.adverts.ie/radio-control/hubsan-h117s-zino-gps-5g-wifi-1km-fpv-with-4k-uhd-camera-3-axis-gimbal-foldable/22544856 )

I'm pretty sure guys in here will have more recommendations for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'd go for one of DJI drones, you can pick used or even new ones from 300-400 euros on adverts or online, e.g:
    DJI Spark https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/dji-spark-fly-more-combo/22152698 €280.
    Also Hubsan Zinos are decent and costs even less (Hubsan H117S Zino €280 https://www.adverts.ie/radio-control/hubsan-h117s-zino-gps-5g-wifi-1km-fpv-with-4k-uhd-camera-3-axis-gimbal-foldable/22544856 )

I'm pretty sure guys in here will have more recommendations for you :)

Thanks so much for the reply, it is really helpful, its given me some idea of where to start looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Kids get bored very quickly of the DJI type platforms, there is no real flying or excitement in it after the initial wonder, the stability that we as adults want in order to get a good photo/ video is the opposite of the thrill and excitement that the kids normally want.

So what I have done with my kids is get some light weight FPV drones, they are the ones that you fly by looking through the camera and feel like you are onboard, think Drone Racing League, this is almost certainly what most kids think of when they think about flying drones. You can get bundles with a drone, controller and goggles

The EMAX Tinyhawk indoor ready to fly bundles are a great starting place, basic kit but it will be flown to death, have a search online for "Tinywhoop" that is the style of drone that has ducts around the props so that it can bounce off walls etc without taking damage, also they are lightweight so that don't break every time they crash, that means that the learning curve is much easier and forgiving rather than being in the DJI one hard crash and you are done territory.

Checking out something like an Emax Tinyhawk indoor bundle like the one below:

https://fpveu.com/collections/drone/products/tinyhawk-ii-indoor-fpv-racing-drone-f4-5a-16000kv-runcam-nano2-700tvl-37ch-25100200mw-vtx-1s-2s-rtf

That shop is Wicklow based and Joe can give you a good steer on what is worth ordering or if there is something better on the way, drop him a line rather than depending on the website, he is happy to talk drones, doesn't stock anything that gives him trouble, and generally has next day delivery for orders placed in the morning.

fenris wrote: »
    Kids get bored very quickly of the DJI type platforms, there is no real flying or excitement in it after the initial wonder, the stability that we as adults want in order to get a good photo/ video is the opposite of the thrill and excitement that the kids normally want.

So what I have done with my kids is get some light weight FPV drones, they are the ones that you fly by looking through the camera and feel like you are onboard, think Drone Racing League, this is almost certainly what most kids think of when they think about flying drones. You can get bundles with a drone, controller and goggles

The EMAX Tinyhawk indoor ready to fly bundles are a great starting place, basic kit but it will be flown to death, have a search online for "Tinywhoop" that is the style of drone that has ducts around the props so that it can bounce off walls etc without taking damage, also they are lightweight so that don't break every time they crash, that means that the learning curve is much easier and forgiving rather than being in the DJI one hard crash and you are done territory.

Checking out something like an Emax Tinyhawk indoor bundle like the one below:

https://fpveu.com/collections/drone/products/tinyhawk-ii-indoor-fpv-racing-drone-f4-5a-16000kv-runcam-nano2-700tvl-37ch-25100200mw-vtx-1s-2s-rtf

That shop is Wicklow based and Joe can give you a good steer on what is worth ordering or if there is something better on the way, drop him a line rather than depending on the website, he is happy to talk drones, doesn't stock anything that gives him trouble, and generally has next day delivery for orders placed in the morning.

Brilliant, thanks I'm going to email Joe now and get some recommendations, thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I’m only dabbling in with cheap ones also . Your child is 9 . The chances of damage to an expensive one can be high . Why not invest in a cheaper one before moving up to more established ones . Chances are he will get board of it after a while .

Google sg108 . They are around the 100 euro mark . Good easy to fly with gps . Doesn’t have the camera stability of the more advanced ones and limited to 500 metres distance has from you .

The Fimi x8 se can be got for 350 euro but at that stage you are starting to creep towards wanting a mavic or dgi.

• Advertisement

I’m only dabbling in with cheap ones also . Your child is 9 . The chances of damage to an expensive one can be high . Why not invest in a cheaper one before moving up to more established ones . Chances are he will get board of it after a while .

Google sg108 . They are around the 100 euro mark . Good easy to fly with gps . Doesn’t have the camera stability of the more advanced ones and limited to 500 metres distance has from you .

The Fimi x8 se can be got for 350 euro but at that stage you are starting to creep towards wanting a mavic or dgi.

I'll take a look at that one now, thanks for the advice!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Rather than start a new thread I just wanted to ask if a Spark is still worth it now if you got it at a good price as in around 250.0 with multiple batteries?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread I just wanted to ask if a Spark is still worth it now if you got it at a good price as in around 250.0 with multiple batteries?

Only if you know what you're getting yourself in for...

The camera is ok quality, limited to 1080p
    Flight time is poor compared to the newest drones
    Range is also very poor - 100m vs many KMs of the newer models

(compare that to the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

theothernt wrote: »
    Only if you know what you're getting yourself in for...

The camera is ok quality, limited to 1080p
    Flight time is poor compared to the newest drones
    Range is also very poor - 100m vs many KMs of the newer models

(compare that to the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo)

Camera wouldnt really bother me starting out.
    I was going to pick up a few spare batteries - actually the one I was looking at comes with 4 I think.
    I thought the range had been increased on the spark to 2km in a firmware update or something? - No that Im going to fly a drone 2 km.

Ive already registered with the IAA and have gotten my operator id code and Im in the middle of watching all those videos.
    See I really dont want to spend 500+ and end up losing it or crashing it.But I dont want a toy drone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was going to pick up a few spare batteries - actually the one I was looking at comes with 4 I think.
    I thought the range had been increased on the spark to 2km in a firmware update or something? - No that Im going to fly a drone 2 km.

Ive already registered with the IAA and have gotten my operator id code and Im in the middle of watching all those videos.
    See I really dont want to spend 500+ and end up losing it or crashing it.But I dont want a toy drone either.

If you get a spark you'll want something better fairly soon. If you get the Mavic mini 2 as I did. You wont need to get anything else. It's an immense machine. Just awesome

• Advertisement

4 batteries is fine, but the range is better with the controller (I think that was an extra? it's included in all newer drones) but don't expect more than a few hundred meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You'd be surprised how easy it is to fly 2km if you have that range and you dont be long getting to 2km away either.

If i was you i would go with the Mini/Mini2 over the spark. My housemate had the spark said it was grand but nothing compared to the Mini 2.

Very hard to crash any of them i would think, unless you are flying close to obstacles.

Whats the difference between the Mini and the Mini 2? Besides the 200 euros price difference!!

Whats the difference between the Mini and the Mini 2? Besides the 200 euros price difference!!

https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav

Everything to be frank.

Quality of image and range being the two most important and vital things that you'd want to get right out the gate.

listermint wrote: »
    Everything to be frank.

Quality of image and range being the two most important and vital things that you'd want to get right out the gate.

Think Im going to go for the Mini 2 - should I hold off a few weeks(until next payday) and go for the fly more combo?

Think Im going to go for the Mini 2 - should I hold off a few weeks(until next payday) and go for the fly more combo?

I would wait for the Fly More. you get 2 extra batteries and a charging box with them. few extra props and the bag. if you buy them individually it works out a lot dearer.

Also the time does be long going by when you are flying and in Ireland you will be nearly always flying in wind and this reduces the battery life even more.

etxp wrote: »
    I would wait for the Fly More. you get 2 extra batteries and a charging box with them. few extra props and the bag. if you buy them individually it works out a lot dearer.

Also the time does be long going by when you are flying and in Ireland you will be nearly always flying in wind and this reduces the battery life even more.

Feck - expensive hobby this. Finding it hard to justify dropping 600 euros for somthing Ill probably fly once a month.

Any other "cheaper" alternatives?

Feck - expensive hobby this. Finding it hard to justify dropping 600 euros for somthing Ill probably fly once a month.

For these types of drones, it's more about taking pics and video and trying to produce something nice you can show people, your friends and family, etc.

Personally, I've had my DJI drone a few years and still enjoy the perspective you get from 100m up (or higher assuming I'm in the middle of nowhere!). I think you have to ask yourself if that's something you'll enjoy?

to be honest, I'd wait till another payday and buy Air 2 :) both minis arent good in windy conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Have you looked at the Fimi X8 SE 2020 starts at about €320 or thereabouts. I have one and really enjoy using it. Had the mavic mini but it did not do well in the wind. The FIMI is way more solid in the wind and has a better range
    There are mixed opinions on it but I am really happy with mine
    Link below

FIMI X8
    € 313 from Czech

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭kirving

110% go for the fly more combo. The ease of use of the case and second battery alone are worth it.

I have the Mini, which is fantastic, but the connection easily breaks down in urban areas. The Mini 2 is better in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

Look at the Fimi X8Se 2020. Banggood have it for €309 delivered. It is a serious drone for the money. Specs are up there, 4k 30fps, 35 min battery, 3 axis gimble, very long range, GPS etc etc.

I love mine and have flown it in all weathers including rain and snow with no problems.

to be honest, I'd wait till another payday and buy Air 2 :) both minis arent good in windy conditions

With all due respect that's horse****.

I live on the coast. I've had it out everyday since it arrived. It takes wind like a champ.

Every drone has its limits you won't have them out in gusts unless you've deep pockets.

But the mini 2 is absolutely excellent. I sound like a salesman but DJI really knocked this out of the park . I don't usually think something is this good after only a short period of time.

I reject the notion someone has to spend double the price like that with an out of hand comment.

I live on the coast. I've had it out everyday since it arrived. It takes wind like a champ.

Every drone has its limits you won't have them out in gusts unless you've deep pockets.

But the mini 2 is absolutely excellent. I sound like a salesman but DJI really knocked this out of the park . I don't usually think something is this good after only a short period of time.

I reject the notion someone has to spend double the price like that with an out of hand comment.

I agree that it is very good in the wind. I had mine out on Friday morning in Mayo, near the coast. Very windy and it managed ok. Was right on the limits mind but still managed to get some good shots.

c'mon theres nothing to compare inbetween mini2 and air2 , air2 always wins as is more capable and got more safety features ... mean not even more, mini2 got absolutely nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

c'mon theres nothing to compare inbetween mini2 and air2 , air2 always wins as is more capable and got more safety features ... mean not even more, mini2 got absolutely nothing :)

Nobody is saying the Mini 2 is better than the Air 2. But it's massive value compared to the Air 2 now that it has occusync 2 and better performance in windy environments.

Spoke like someone who .

1. Hasn't a clue what they're talking about
    2. Hasn't a clue of what sort of money the OP wants to spend.
    3. Needs avoidance features to control their drone ergo all other drones without a collision detection are bad.

.... Gluk.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Nobody is saying the Mini 2 is better than the Air 2. But it's massive value compared to the Air 2 now that it has occusync 2 and better performance in windy environments.

And 2.7k 60fps and 4k 30fps.

Incredible value.

• Advertisement

Spoke like someone who .

1. Hasn't a clue what they're talking about
    2. Hasn't a clue of what sort of money the OP wants to spend.
    3. Needs avoidance features to control their drone ergo all other drones without a collision detection are bad.

.... Gluk.

wow, thats valuable input... thanks for that :)

Advertisement