Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Gaelic footballs

Options
  • 10-02-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi ,

I've been tasked with buying 20 footballs ( size 5) for the local GAA club. I've seen O'Neills online on sale for between 50euro and 69 euro. Are there any other suppliers of Gaelic Footballs other than ONeills ? Has anyone experience of other manufacturers ?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

Crystalsun wrote: »
    Hi ,

I've been tasked with buying 20 footballs ( size 5) for the local GAA club. I've seen O'Neills online on sale for between 50euro and 69 euro. Are there any other suppliers of Gaelic Footballs other than ONeills ? Has anyone experience of other manufacturers ?

Thanks

I ordered Gaelic Footballs from All Star Sports last year in June. I ordered the O’Neills Inter County Training Balls, I think you can get these in packs of 12 for around 175. One thing is the delivery for them was very fast I ordered them Friday evening and they had arrived on Tuesday, but not sure are they going to be as fast with delivery now. I think McKeever also supply Gaelic Footballs as well I think but haven’t had any experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

50 euro for an oneill's match ball is the standard. Might get it for less with vat taken off. Don't buy anything else, even the oneill's training balls are not near to the 50 euro ball standard. Havent tried the mckeever alternative but have tried the karykal (think they do racket sports stuff and GAA balls?) and they are rubbish, was warming up before a game with them and they were never seen again. You won't be thanked for buying balls but you'll be laughed at for buying bad ones! I'm talking about adult football experiences here BTW as your ball price range alludes to adult sized balls - anyone charging 69 euro for a ball with an rrp of 50 is robbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hi ,

Thanks

What are they for?

We use the training balls for training and have a few match balls then. Training balls are great for drills and then like as they are cheaper and if they puncture or go missing then you aren't massively out of pocket. Match balls are heavier and better quality but you are looking at 60-70e each. Won't really get much if any discount for a purchase of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Crystalsun

What are they for?

We use the training balls for training and have a few match balls then. Training balls are great for drills and then like as they are cheaper and if they puncture or go missing then you aren't massively out of pocket. Match balls are heavier and better quality but you are looking at 60-70e each. Won't really get much if any discount for a purchase of 20.

They'll be used for training (Senior men club team). Is there much difference between match ball standard and training balls. For the sake of training and cost I'd just as easily get training balls. Would you say there's any problem using training balls for a lot of kicking practice (kicking points) thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭sligopaul

match balls go for the 50 euro o Neills and for training even the Karakal size 5
    Elverys currently have the match balls @ 50 Euro and on the training balls are buy one get one half price ( plus extra 15% OFF code ex15off ) so 2 training balls are 15.30( 12 euro each ) , they are not match ball quality but you can buy plenty of them, we use them here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

€50 for a proper O'Neills match ball. Don't buy anything else. Talk to your local O'Neills rep and he might be able to knock off a few quid for bulk buying like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

KIB4Life wrote: »
    I ordered Gaelic Footballs from All Star Sports last year in June. I ordered the O’Neills Inter County Training Balls, I think you can get these in packs of 12 for around 175. One thing is the delivery for them was very fast I ordered them Friday evening and they had arrived on Tuesday, but not sure are they going to be as fast with delivery now. I think McKeever also supply Gaelic Footballs as well I think but haven’t had any experience with them.

I meant All Sport Store in Donegal instead of All Star Sports. I’d say get the training balls and ordered a few maybe 4 or 5 Match balls. Hopefully it won’t be too long before the footballs will be in use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I know of a local Junior club team that get the footballs that fail the quality standard tests in O'Neills at a heavily discounted rate

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭sligopaul

I think the OP needs to have an idea of budget, not all clubs can spend 1000 on 20 footballs purely for training purposes

sligopaul wrote: »
    I think the OP needs to have an idea of budget, not all clubs can spend 1000 on 20 footballs purely for training purposes

I know sure , but I'll just give them all the options and prices and see what top brass say before I buy anything . So it looks like O Neills and Mckeeer are only lads making gaelic standard footballs.
    BTW, found myself on a Chinese online shop last night called Alibaba great selction of GAA balls and very cheap but I had to buy minimum of 50 balls. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

They'll be used for training (Senior men club team). Is there much difference between match ball standard and training balls. For the sake of training and cost I'd just as easily get training balls. Would you say there's any problem using training balls for a lot of kicking practice (kicking points) thanks for the info

There is a considerable difference in the quality of ball for practicing your shooting.

The O'Neill's match ball is the only thing that'll feel the same as shooting in a game.
    Training balls are considerably different to kick and you'll even feel a difference catching and hand passing them.
    But of course it's finances dependent.

If you can afford 20 new match balls you should probably do that, if you can't you'll need a mix depending on your budget, but you'll want 4-5 match balls at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

ONeills have reps that deal directly with clubs on a county by county basis, might be a bulk discount. If 1k is over budget then the next option is what's the min you will on match day ? Maybe 6 so then get the rest in trainers type. My experience is that ONeills are best both trainer and match ones.
    Oneills will print club name on balls too but there is a min quantity, not sure how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

Small club with an account with O’Neills. €5 off the rrp on a 20 plus order last year between size 4 and 5 last year. Went half match balls and half training balls as times were/are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Most of the gaelic footballs are made in Pakistan and just labelled in Dublin or NI

Most of the gaelic footballs are made in Pakistan and just labelled in Dublin or NI

What do yee think of this? $5 for a size 5 gaelic football but minimum order is 50 so $250 for 50 balls. Id say Pk at the bottom means pakistan

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/GAA-Footballs-gaelic-footballs-custom-gaelic_50039882371.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.4198562a7luSpY
    Are alibaba (Chinese) reliable? has anyone bought anything from them ? anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

No.
    You can order them direct from Pakistan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What do yee think of this? $5 for a size 5 gaelic football but minimum order is 50 so $250 for 50 balls. Id say Pk at the bottom means pakistan

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/GAA-Footballs-gaelic-footballs-custom-gaelic_50039882371.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.4198562a7luSpY
    Are alibaba (Chinese) reliable? has anyone bought anything from them ? anything at all

Alibaba is like eBay for businesses.
    It's the seller you want to be careful of, not the site itself.

It's common to order samples (less than the minimum order quantity) from there, but it's probably best you check out the company selling them first.

Google things to look for when buying from Alibaba and you'll get a better idea of what you need to be wary of and suss if the company is genuine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has bought those balls from Pakistan and if so, what the verdict was? The price seems too good to be true although minimum of 50 per order of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Can't see the footballs being the exact same but I am a doubting Thomas.
    I guess there's only one way to find out, not a huge outlay at €250 for 50.
    However, normally when something is too good to be true......
    Can always pass on to U17 and U15 for training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm surprised no one has tracked down the factory that oneills uses and done a deal with the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

recyclebin wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has tracked down the factory that oneills uses and done a deal with the manufacturer.

Very true..if the balls are made in Pakistan or somewhere in the Indian subcontinent, then there's nothing stopping anyone from importing similarly manufactured materials like O'Neills are doing. Anyone know the story with O'Neills balls - where ARE they made?

I do know the ST did a piece on O'Neills using a sweatshop in Bangladesh a few years ago.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oneills-hurled-into-row-over-low-paid-staff-rcwv8539w8l

Advertisement